overall
RATINGS: 1615   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.63/5   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Mc CHOUFFE is an unfiltered brown beer which is refermented both in the bottle and in barrels. Its fruity bouquet conceals a hint of bitterness.

grandridge (228) - Port Clinton, Ohio, USA - FEB 11, 2008
I found that this bottle was sold to me and was already aged. About two years past the Best Before date which stated the end of 2005. Well I guess I’ll see how this brew ages because I’ve already tried a fresh bottle awhile ago. Pours amber with thick head dissapating to a thin film within a couple of minutes. As I pour I catch an aroma of dark fruits and spices. Let’s see if this archaic beer improved with age. Wow, definitely doesn’t age that well. Still highly carbonated and I’m bombarded by raisins. It’s like the age saturated my brew with raisin and plum. I can’t really detect the spice that I loved in this brew before. I’ll let the brew warm up some more. Maybe then I can pull out some more flavors.....OK much better mouthfeel, this is the nice creamy beer I’ve had before. Still real heavy in dark fruits but I can taste a little spice in the finish. In general this beer ages alright but I don’t agree with drinking the brew two years past the best by date. The balance that this brew once had is now gone.

puzzl (3264) - New York, New York, USA - FEB 3, 2008
From a 750, of which I only managed to drink around 12oz. This beer was a bit of a disappointment, especially coming form Chouffe. Very chalky and dry, only a touch plumminess or complex malts. It seems the belgian yeast wreaked havoc on this one. Rather hard to drink.

RomanW70 (296) - Providence, Rhode Island, USA - FEB 1, 2008
Pours very dark amber. Thick, consistent, one finger head. Aroma of chocolate, toffee, clove, and raisins. Fairly well balanced with med/high carbonation and a bitter finish. An excellent dark ale.

BigBen2120 (687) - Derry, New Hampshire, USA - JAN 31, 2008
750ml green bottle from The Lighthouse in Manchester. Pours a slightly hazy copper-brown with a good inch of light tan head. Smells fruity - grape, cherry, citrus - with hints of caramel, chocolate, and smoke. Tastes fruity also, with strong roasty chocolate and caramel, with hints of peatiness. Slight alcohol warming toward the finish, though it is less noticeable with the vigorous carbonation. On the lighter side of medium-bodied. Very very drinkable and extremely tasty. Nothing wrong with this one IMO. One of the best Belgian darks I’ve had in quite some time.

beerlud (22) - Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 30, 2008
750ml Pours a dark mahogany with a descent size cream colored head. Not too much in aroma but lends hints of clove, plum, spice and subtle citrus. Hits big with roasted peanut, plum, subtle peach and spice(clove). Did not expect that. Strong finish that lingers.

Snojerk321 (2984) - San Diego, California, USA - JAN 26, 2008
750ml bottle from the Pizza Port bottle shop in Carlsbad. The beer was way to cold when I started on it. As it warmed, everything improved dramatically. Poured a muddy brown color with a good sized beige head. Not a big nose but, hints of clove spice, caramel, and some dark fruits. Creamy mouth feel with a slight tingle. Next time I will start this brew off at around 55 instead of 40 degrees.

Defreni (3296) - Husum, DENMARK - JAN 26, 2008
Fad. Rigtig god start på aftenens øl. Flot mørk øl med nydeligt skum. Masser af frugt i duften med en anelse blomster. Frugten bliver rigtig godt afbalanceret af et humlebid i smagen der gør det en fornøjelse at drikke.

wilkie (1208) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - JAN 24, 2008
Bottle at the Flying Saucer in downtown Raleigh during the new 4$ for 7oz of Belgian anything night. Mahogany color, hazy, medium fizzy off-white head. Aroma is cloves, and caramel. and a hint of yeast. Flavor is fruity--plum, peach, apple, raisin, and spicy--ginger? Very smooth. Delicious.

yespr (47581) - Copenhagen O, DENMARK - JAN 24, 2008
From tap at Ølbaren. Pours deep amber to brown with a dense light tan head, dense. Slight chalky, very fruity, mild wineous and spiced. Flavour is solid spiced, fruity and with a medium dry flavour. Ends with a lingering spice note.

Harsebrau (227) - Kansas City, Missouri, USA - JAN 23, 2008
Chewy caramel color with a white, quickly fading head. Sweet, floral aroma. Sweet at the start, moving to warm with a slight alcohol flavor at the mid. Full flavored. Spice, cloves, and simple sugar.