overall
Bedford, England
Serve in Thistle

RATINGS: 995   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.52/5   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Bottle: Filtered
Deep brown colour. A chocolate and caramel body with a lingering sweet finish.
Originally brewed by McEwan’s at the Fountain brewery in Edinburgh. Production moved from Fountain to the Caledonian Brewery in 2004. The McEwan’s brand passed to Heineken in 2008 after their purchase of Scottish & Newcastle’s British operations. Heineken sold the brand to Wells & Youngs in 2011. Packaged (bottle & can) McEwan’s beers are produced at Wells & Youngs brewery in Bedford.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
beerstop (173) - Roanoke, Virginia, USA - MAR 27, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 2, 2003 re rate - I've noticed alcohol a bit more the last few times so I'm knocking the flavor score down a notch. Still one of my staple beers. Very malty, very molasses like sweetness. I really don't notice the 8% alcohol content at all. I haven't tried other Scotch Ale's, but if they are even slightly better than this one this is a style of beer I'll be drinking for years to come. Re-Rate: Ok, now that I've tried other Scotch Ales, I have a better appreciation for just how good this one is. Downgrading palate and appearance as their is really nothing above average about either, but I'm notching aroma up to an 8 as the sweet, malty, molasses aroma is delicious. Every time I sit down to drink one I end up having four and pay for it the next day.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
fraternie (998) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 26, 2002
Surprisingly good ale. No bitterness whatsoever and it very easy on the palate. Could have used a little more flavor, but good as is.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Darkover (1535) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - MAR 26, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 20, 2003 Very dark amber. Almost no head. Smooth. I can't taste the alcohol. Long acidic finish. Let this warm a little before you drink it, its much better that way.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Kaya161 (1139) - San Diego, California, USA - MAR 24, 2002
Incredible appearence! Deep amber-brown colour that becomes a magnificient ruby red when held up to the light! Nice creamy, off-white head with beatiful lacing. Nutty, butterscotch, toffee aroma. The palate is failry thin and the beer has an oily mouthfeel. The flavour is almost bock-like in the fact that it is so well rounded and smooth. It does have the characterisitc fruitness of a Scotch Ale, though(raisins and plums), followed by a nutty caramel middle, leading up to a pleasantly lingering fruity finish. For me, this is the definitive example of a Scotch Ale and it puts Belhaven’s Wee Heavy to shame. This beer shows incredibly restraint for its strength. The 8% ABV is only moderately apparent towards the finish. A classic!!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
AceOfHearts (1374) - Mountain View, California, USA - MAR 22, 2002
Okay, but pretty light and watery, especially considering the alcohol content. I need to add that I’m at a friend’s place at an NCAA basketball-watching party, and I’m actually lame enough to be on his laptop rating brews. On an unrelated note, we opened up my first homebrew tonight. Unfortunately I screwed up the carbonation and it came out terrible. The next batch will be great though!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
Merc (313) - Pullman, Washington, USA - MAR 19, 2002
Aroma and flavour reminded me of apple juice and red wind. A different from other scottishes I’ve tried, I wouldn’t get it again.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Gregory (357) - Pullman, Washington, USA - MAR 19, 2002
Not bad. It has a nice aroma, and a somewhat rich flavor, but overalll I thought it was watery. Could be much more flavorful.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Caton (160) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - MAR 14, 2002
Quite hot from the alcohol, still has lots of flavour like bitter chocolate and coffee with hints of fruit. A good winter warmer.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
ultraspank (867) - Alverca, Lisboa, PORTUGAL - MAR 12, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 4, 2003 Re-rate 3/4/03: came back to this when I received a bottle as a gift. It is interesting how one's opinion's change over time. A fresh sample never hurts either. **Original rating on 3/12/02** - 8 4 7 4 15. A bottle of this was my introduction to Scottish Ale. This brew pours a murky medium hued ruby brown. The mostly lasting off-white head is average in size, creamy and has excellent lacing. The head could be larger. Like everything else about this fine brew, the aroma is complex if overpowering as it warms. There is moderate malty hits of grain and caramel, light hoppy hints of resin, and grapefruit, and lightly yeasty hints of earth tones. I also detected banana, cask wood, and of course no shortage of alcohol which is quite pronounced. Overall a complex spicy/fruity aroma. The initial flavor is moderate to heavily sweet with a moderate alcoholic middle, and a moderate sweetness, and light bitter finish of average duration. There could be more bitterness to balance the finish which could be longer. I taste too much alcohol. There is no way I could drink this other than very cold - as it warms it is almost like a rum and coke. The palate is complex, and rewarding. The body is medium with a creamy/oily texture that finishes dry. The carbonation is soft which I am fond of. The finish is chalky, lightly astringent, and quite alcoholic. Less alcohol, and no chalky texture on the finish would result in a score of 5. This brew packs quite a punch, a magnificent winter warmer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Radek Kliber (7239) - Toronto (Can) Krotoszyn (Pol), POLAND - MAR 10, 2002
warm with decent look , but c’mon is so over rated . Almost 4 tars for that drink ? Aroma is off , and does not give any positive impresions . It’s dark , so what ? Normal scottish ale that is mas produced ....