overall
Brewed by Charles Wells (Marston’s)
Style: Scotch Ale
Bedford, England
Serve in Thistle

RATINGS: 1002   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.52/5   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Bottle: Filtered
Deep brown colour. A chocolate and caramel body with a lingering sweet finish.
Originally brewed by McEwan’s at the Fountain brewery in Edinburgh. Production moved from Fountain to the Caledonian Brewery in 2004. The McEwan’s brand passed to Heineken in 2008 after their purchase of Scottish & Newcastle’s British operations. Heineken sold the brand to Wells & Youngs in 2011. Packaged (bottle & can) McEwan’s beers are produced at Wells & Youngs brewery in Bedford.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
prpplague (247) - Euless, Texas, USA - APR 19, 2002
unique aroma, very similiar to cheap scotch wiskey. dark hoppy flavor.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - APR 10, 2002
light for the style. nice brown color. medium to thick body at first. sweet malty. seemed thinner later. in the end, too sweet for my tastes.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
DubbelO7 (42) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 8, 2002
I just tried this for the first time . Had seen it on store shelves for years and just never got around to trying it . Nice label. Nice color . Nice sweetness, which I like in a beer . Label says it’s a malt liquor, my buzz sure echoes that . whew . I bought a six pack and only could get 4 down . cheers.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
jennythenipper (74) - St. Paul, Minnesota, USA - APR 3, 2002
I’ve had this beer on draught in Scotland and in bottles in the states. I just don’t get it. It starts out like an ale and ends like a sweet cloying mess. If this is ’Scottish’ Ale, I think the Scots should stick to making malt whiskey.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Choke (96) - Massachusetts, USA - APR 2, 2002
By Far My favorite Ale this ranks right up there for my favorite brew, Very Sweet Smooth taste and great after taste....At $11.00 a six pack this stuff is cheap.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
turtlehead (111) - Nottingham, New Hampshire, USA - MAR 30, 2002
Slightly vinuous aroma and taste with a quickly fading bitterness. Beautiful medium amber color with a slightly off-white head. Light body as well. By far not my favorite Scottish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
DougShoemaker (3147) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 29, 2002
Smells like Coca-cola. Deep red/brown colour. Tastes like treacle toffee. Complex, with hints of raisins and port. Nice warming finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
beerstop (173) - Roanoke, Virginia, USA - MAR 27, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 2, 2003 re rate - I've noticed alcohol a bit more the last few times so I'm knocking the flavor score down a notch. Still one of my staple beers. Very malty, very molasses like sweetness. I really don't notice the 8% alcohol content at all. I haven't tried other Scotch Ale's, but if they are even slightly better than this one this is a style of beer I'll be drinking for years to come. Re-Rate: Ok, now that I've tried other Scotch Ales, I have a better appreciation for just how good this one is. Downgrading palate and appearance as their is really nothing above average about either, but I'm notching aroma up to an 8 as the sweet, malty, molasses aroma is delicious. Every time I sit down to drink one I end up having four and pay for it the next day.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
fraternie (1011) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 26, 2002
Surprisingly good ale. No bitterness whatsoever and it very easy on the palate. Could have used a little more flavor, but good as is.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Darkover (1537) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - MAR 26, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 20, 2003 Very dark amber. Almost no head. Smooth. I can't taste the alcohol. Long acidic finish. Let this warm a little before you drink it, its much better that way.