overall
RATINGS: 174   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.69/5   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
At McSorley’s ale is well. McSorley’s Irish Pale Ale is from the old house at home. Established in 1854 in NYC and brewed by McSorley’s Brewery in Wilks-Barre, PA. Brewed in the tradition of the historic walls of McSorley’s Old Ale House. It took 116 years, the pressure of public opinion and ultimately the authority of a court order for McSorley’s to surrender. By the mid 1970s, McSorley’s allowed woman inside the bar at 15 E. 7th St for the very first time. Ah, but the owners did not completely forgo tradition, women would wait until 1986 to get their own restroom.

sterline80 (2) - USA - MAY 20, 2012 does not count
imo, i havent had a better, commercially available beer. I found it to be slightly better on tap than out of a bottle, but I’m a fan of tap beer so maybe it’s just me.

Mungular (48) - Georgia, USA - JUN 13, 2010
Smelled sweet and sweaty. Looked great and had good flavor from start to finish. More malty than expected. Pale ales aren’t my favorite brews, but this one was a great fit for my palate.

UnDecaf (106) - Mountain View, California, USA - AUG 11, 2010
I don’t understand why everyone rates this so low, I think it is a great combination of a red and pale ale. Very flavorful; a little nutty, a little bitter, and pretty creamy.

DerBiermeister (586) - Birmingham, Alabama, USA - MAR 17, 2010
I like this beer. Although a pale ale, it is malty and caramelly. My wife thinks it is bitter, though I do not.

ronaldtheriot (2008) - Laplace, Louisiana, USA - DEC 12, 2009
This is an attractive ale, with a creamy head and amber color. Not very carbonated. It has a moderately bitter taste with caramel and nut notes. It has a balanced, somewhat heavy water mouth feel. Overall, I could drink this regularly and really enjoy it. It goes well with crackers and cheese.

RJT

obguthr (6736) - Staunton, Virginia, USA - SEP 30, 2009
Draft, however, it was drawn from a Heineken tap marker. The bartender assured me it was Mcsorley’s Irish PA. Mushroom and yeast nose ringed with cherries. Clear rust colored with a thick off-white head, good lace. It tastes quite tart of barley malt and cherries. Soapy finish of grass and cherries. Drinkable and flavorful. No complaints.

Chalsk (1104) - North Caldwell, New Jersey, USA - NOV 5, 2010
Pours an amber red color with an off-white soapy head. Has an aroma of citrus and caramel. Has a sweet caramel taste with some gentle bitters. Nice amount of flavor to it. Perhaps I am missing something, but this is a solid session brew.

Metalchopz (3596) - Cantley, Quebec, CANADA - JAN 26, 2011
Thanks to my parents that brought me back a 6-pack of this from the States. They were looking for a local brew, but this is what they got. Still looks decent, with a rich caramel-copper colour and an off-white head that is creamy and creates thick lacing all around. Good retention and a 1mm film coats the brew. Nice slow carbonation and mild grain aroma with a touch of hop. Smooth mouthfeel with a taste of grain, caramel malt and light bitterness in the finish. Nothing too crazy here, but quite a good Irish Ale for a macro brewer.

andyhwcinc (1886) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAY 9, 2011
Purchased at Vas Foremost in Chicago, IL; enjoyed during my band’s LP release show and also at home nursing an allergic pink eye outbreak (beer treats it, you know). This tasted better to me at the show, but it’s still pretty good. Aroma of bready malts, not really much else. Appearance a cloudy amber with a thin white head. Taste is pretty creamy for a pale ale, can definitely taste the bitterness of the hops balanced by the crisp malts. Not really any off flavors in my opinion, just a really good, straight up pale ale.

wlajwl (7124) - Quad Cities, Iowa, USA - JUL 20, 2012
Aroma is fruit and relatively non-sweet malts. The flavor is fruit, malts and a mix of nuttiness and tartness into the finish.