overall
RATINGS: 54   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.88/5   EST. CALORIES: 144   ABV: 4.8%
This Hawaiian-style European lager is most often described as being very smooth with lots of body and some bitterness. It is an all-malt brew with the tropical taste in mind. This lager has a deep copper color with a malty aroma and subtle fruitiness creating a caramel maltiness on the palate with a sweet malt aftertaste.

steview (1037) - Petaluma, California, USA - NOV 19, 2006
UPDATED: MAY 28, 2007 picked up a couple singles at the local liquor shop / actually not that bad! it reminds me of brooklyn lager, but this doesn’t have that brooklyn piney pop--it seems to be based around its maltiness; floral, caramel aroma; slightly fruity, malty and nutty taste... a just a smooth little lager that’s a refreshing break from the cheap japanese macros that litter this little island of okinawa to no end! wooh! / SAMPLE 070528: sweet and tangy, fruity, with a little toffee and not much else; downrated.

estoppel (1028) - Buffalo, New York, USA - DEC 24, 2004
UPDATED: APR 11, 2008 Copper body, small white head, nose is quite sweet for a lager. Malts predominate in the body, with a hint of the hops; decent start, weak finish; moderate bitterness. RERATE 4/08: Quite a bit of diacetyl in the nose and flavor.

BeerBelcher (972) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - JAN 26, 2008
My Dad spent Christmas on Kauai and all I got was this (mostly) lousy beer. A pretty bad aroma, but a decent flavor, although a bit spicy for a lager. Appearance was a soapy and slightly dirty looking caramel color. Aroma was mercaptan and pretty much only mercaptan - think a compost pile. Flavor was significantly better, although not great. There is a malted milk ball flavor with significant cloviness and some evidence of hops. Mouthfeel is clean and as a lager should be. I can’t really recommend this, but it is not awful and a bit unique.

vwsteggie (684) - Paxton, Massachusetts, USA - APR 26, 2004
Has a nice amber color with moderate carbonation and medium head. Smell is of sweet malts. Taste is also of sweet malts with medium body and finishes with little bitterness. Overall a very good beer.

mdi (573) - Nebraska, USA - NOV 5, 2005
12oz bottle...doubts going into this...but then, surprisingly, it poured AMBER! Ok, deep bronze...My hopes are being toyed with here...so I’m spending some time looking at it b/c I’m still doubtful it will be anything interesting...Almost off-white head, slight bubbles rising lazily...my wine goblet is sweating in this HI humidity....OK, the test...Moderate to mild aroma shows malt! yes, malt and a nice little hop highlight gets slipped in...then, watery...The beer is OK w/ this slightly malty munich-type character, but watery...to its credit, the hops do kick back in the finish to add some interest to this otherwise bland beer, but I also get this sort of sweaty character...it isn’t skunky, maybe oxidized??? The more I sip it, the more prominent it becomes in my mind...I don’t think it is infection, itjust isn’t a very good beer. It certainly tried though. Even with these flaws, I’m happier drinking this than I was the Negro Modelo I had with lunch.

Schultsc (572) - San Diego, California, USA - AUG 12, 2006
On tap at the brewery. Pretty bland beer. Extremely light-bodied with few grain or hops flavors. Fairly one-dimensional unfortunately. Another obligatory and uninspiring light lager.

VitaminR (540) - Colorado, USA - FEB 13, 2008
Fruity aroma, lots of banana. Deep yellow with some orange undertones. Sweet malt, with a dry finish. Full and round, seemed like a German Helles. One of the better non-Pilsener American lagers--Great!

junon (430) - Honolulu, Hawaii, USA - JUN 19, 2010
UPDATED: JUL 21, 2010 Nose is quite nice actually. Its a mixture of grass and out door aromas and a certain amount of caramel and carrots. I don’t know if I’d associate this with "lager" though. Flavour is of veg and poached pair. Nice balance of smooth and sharp.

toncatcher (228) - Santee - SAN DIEGO, California, USA - FEB 25, 2008
I had this on the plane ride back from Honolulu. Pours amber with a surprisingly thick creamy head into a plastic cup, yes I know, with some lacing. Aroma of spice. Flavors of a saison, spice, banana, malt. All in all a pretty nice brew.

jhwarfield (125) - USA - JUL 22, 2006
Bottle. Just okay. pours golden with nice carbonation. decent hops flavor.