overall
RATINGS: 54   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.88/5   EST. CALORIES: 144   ABV: 4.8%
This Hawaiian-style European lager is most often described as being very smooth with lots of body and some bitterness. It is an all-malt brew with the tropical taste in mind. This lager has a deep copper color with a malty aroma and subtle fruitiness creating a caramel maltiness on the palate with a sweet malt aftertaste.

DarkElf (3066) - La Jolla, California, USA - OCT 3, 2005
(12 oz bottle: Purchased by my buddy Norm in Hawaii) From memory, this doesn’t taste significantly different from the now-retired Mehana Beer. This has a fairly aromatic, sweet and very bready nose. Flavor is also sweet and very bready initially, and there’s a bit of lightly bitter hops in the finish for at least an attempt at balance, though the breadiness easily wins out. Light to medium in body, fairly carbonated on the palate. Dark golden color, hints of amber, and very hazy for reduced translucence. The off-white head is fairly large after the pour, and though it dissipates to a thin film, plenty of foamy, patchy lacing is left on the glass. This actually isn’t a bad beer, and exceeded my expectations.

solsticebrew (61) - USA - JUL 18, 2009
12 ounce bottle in Honolulu. First impression is a corn stalk like aroma. Sweet on the front, sweet on the back. I like the color for a lager, a nice honey like amber. I like it for what it is.

junon (430) - Honolulu, Hawaii, USA - JUN 19, 2010
UPDATED: JUL 21, 2010 Nose is quite nice actually. Its a mixture of grass and out door aromas and a certain amount of caramel and carrots. I don’t know if I’d associate this with "lager" though. Flavour is of veg and poached pair. Nice balance of smooth and sharp.

GT (10017) - San Diego, California, USA - JAN 20, 2009
330 mL. Pours a light amber with a decent white head that quickly fades. Aroma is very fruity with passion fruit, bananas, and pineapple. Taste is not much different from a typical pale lager- very sweet with touches of pineapple and orange juice. No hops to balance. Finish is acidic and almost metallic. Can’t have more than two of these without feeling a little nauseous.

jonno (2911) - JAPAN - JUL 5, 2009
Had a very strange grassy smell. Not too pleasant. Decent lager though, quite full bodied. Nothing to get excited over, but I wouldn’t knock it back if offered.

PorterPounder (8279) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - OCT 12, 2009
Honolulu,Hi. - Honolulu Airport - Island Brews bar - on tap. Medium gold pour, white head - good lacing. Neutral aroma. Full bodied lager flavor with some nuttiness and a hint of grassiness. Crisp mouthfeel. Decent.

Ron (4181) - Rochester, New York, USA - OCT 29, 2009
Bottle. Has a nice amber color with moderate carbonation and medium head. Smell is of sweet malts. Taste is also of sweet malts with medium body and finishes with little bitterness.

Dedollewaitor (16382) - Odense, DENMARK - FEB 14, 2010
Bottle @ J.C.G US Tasting , Pt 2. Pours dark cloudy golden with a small white head and lacings. Nose is sweet of fruit and honey. Green apples and citrus. Fruity and dusty flavor with hints of citrus.

stobbe74 (3790) - DENMARK - FEB 20, 2010
Bottle. Pours a clear amber beer with an offwhite head. The aroma is green apples, hops with citrus. The flavor is malt and hops with notes of citrus. The palate is sweetness with a little bitterness. Overall a beer just below average.

mdi (573) - Nebraska, USA - NOV 5, 2005
12oz bottle...doubts going into this...but then, surprisingly, it poured AMBER! Ok, deep bronze...My hopes are being toyed with here...so I’m spending some time looking at it b/c I’m still doubtful it will be anything interesting...Almost off-white head, slight bubbles rising lazily...my wine goblet is sweating in this HI humidity....OK, the test...Moderate to mild aroma shows malt! yes, malt and a nice little hop highlight gets slipped in...then, watery...The beer is OK w/ this slightly malty munich-type character, but watery...to its credit, the hops do kick back in the finish to add some interest to this otherwise bland beer, but I also get this sort of sweaty character...it isn’t skunky, maybe oxidized??? The more I sip it, the more prominent it becomes in my mind...I don’t think it is infection, itjust isn’t a very good beer. It certainly tried though. Even with these flaws, I’m happier drinking this than I was the Negro Modelo I had with lunch.