overall
RATINGS: 152   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.07/5   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
A deep golden-orange hue provides the backdrop for a well-balanced, medium bodied ale. Hop flavor and aroma are distinctly American with a spicy, citrus finish.

Editor’s note: Sold as Mackinac Summer Ale (5% ABV) in Sweden. (2008)

vomit (262) - Michigan, USA - MAR 2, 2009
UPDATED: APR 22, 2009 Not bad. Surely it is not on a par with Blatz. However I could definitely see myself getting loaded on this and driving my truck into a knotty white pine. Nice hoppy aroma and taste. Michigan is not just famous for the greatest NFL franchise apparently they make some pretty bitchin’ beers as well....long live Blatz!

JustinBennett (67) - junction city, Kansas, USA - DEC 20, 2007
bottle thanks to ford9719. poured a darkish golden brown. smelt of brown sugar, orange, and banana. had a mild hoppy taste with a bitter after taste.

rosenbergh (11653) - Tampere, FINLAND - JAN 10, 2009
355 ml bottle. Mackinac Summer Ale 5%. From Sweden. Amber colour with an white head. Pretty malty and little hop aroma. Flavour is pretty much the same. Quite light and refreshing for an APA. Doesn’t matter, I like it a lot.

khayman70 (153) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - DEC 18, 2002
Golden ale with very smooth mouthfeel. Definitely an American ale...........

HolidayBeerGuy (50) - Detroit, Michigan, USA - APR 14, 2009
12oz. bottle, pours hazy gold, aroma is light citrus and malt, not a significant hop presence, well balanced, light crisp refreshing, hop bitterness becomes evident on the finish, easy drinking pale, nicely done.

Petkus331 (389) - Redford, Michigan, USA - SEP 7, 2010
This pale ale is more like an IPA, I was pleasantly surprised when I was expecting a simple pale ale and got this "gentle" IPA. It could be more bitter, but the nose was very nice with a hoppy, very floral, and lightly citrus scent. The beer was of a light bitterness, i’m guessing 40-60 IBUs, which was lightened by the sweet floral nose. The flavor was mostly hoppy with a citrus hint. this was a tasty beer, but take my rating with a grain of salt, I’m a lover of Imperial/Double IPAs. This beer was more of an IPA than many beers that pretend to be an IPA.

Alextricity (509) - Michigan, USA - JUL 27, 2012
I essentially made a RateBeer account JUST to rate this beer. First of all, I am incredibly disappointed that Michigan Brewing Company has gone out of business. Anyway... I went to a local liquor store expecting to try out Sam Adams Boston Ale, but saw this, and decided to buy it. When I got home and looked it up, that’s when I found out the company’s out of business. I may have bought the last 6-pack of this at that store. In fact, I probably did. Aroma: A very mild, beer smell. I get nothing else out of this. Maybe a bit of citrus, but not much. Appearance: I think it looks great. It’s unfiltered, has a nice haze, and you can see the yeast floating around and settling at the bottom. Has a nice summer-like appearance. Taste: I’m apparently in the minority here -- I think this is an excellent tasting beer. Although I got a metallic taste out of the first couple bottles I had, the past one was incredible. A light, refreshing, perfectly sessionable beer. There isn’t anything mind blowing or unique about it, but it’s a clean, refreshing, damn tasty beer. What else can I say? Palate: Watery mouthfeel ... nothing fantastic about it, but it suits this beer well. Again, this is why I feel it’s a great session beer. Overall: I really feel like this is one of my favorite beers... which depresses me. I almost wish I never tried it. Because once I found out the brewery went out of business, I got sort of depressed. Although this isn’t a summer-only beer, summer’s what I think of when I drink this. A very, very good beer.

jollyraider (252) - Los Angeles, California, USA - APR 30, 2004
Allllright. Tasty. As I’m trying learn to identify hop varieties, I can’t tell what this is, but it tates like Arcadia Lake Superior ESB.

thedm (6273) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - APR 27, 2006
This bottled brew for $1.49 from Indianapolis poured a medium sized head of foamy mostly lasting off-white colored bubbles that left behind a transparent yet slightly hazy carbonated brown colored with a soft orange hued body and a good lacing. The aroma was that of a medium caramel hop. The mouth feel was tingly from start to finish with a nice hoppy aftertaste. It had a good mediumly hopped caramel malt flavor.

Schroppfy (2360) - Łódż, Warsaw, Poland; Michigan, Ohio, USA - OCT 28, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 4, 2004 A pleasantly balanced aroma of a little piney hops plus some grapefruit, with a super subtle fresh sweet, almost delicately nutty malt component. Very fresh aroma. Quite firm head on the pour. Something more than chill haze to the body. Flavor is also pretty well balanced, but leaning toward the grapefruit hops. Very nice, and way better than expected. Rerate: Gains in chewy maltiness on a second try. Hefty.