overall
RATINGS: 174   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.89/5   SEASONAL: Series   IBU: 45   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
Alaska’s Most Wanted Series.

First brewed as part of our 2011 World Tour series, MOSCOW Rye Russian Imperial Stout is a hefty, opaque black liquid that pours slowly and soulfully into your snifter. A high percentage of spicy rye and roasted dark malts create a dense, chewy yet elegant winter wonderland of flavors. And from AK we say: Let it Snow…in Moscow.

rodenbach99 (4572) - Longueuil, Quebec, CANADA - MAY 7, 2014
Bomber partagée par Patrick. Bière brune noire avec une mousse brune. Un nez fort en alcool avec des notes de cerises, de café fruité. L’alcool domine. Une bouche piquante avec de l’alcool, la texture fait défaut elle manque de corps probablement le seigle. Ordinaire.

maxwelldeux (4374) - Snohomish, Washington, USA - APR 29, 2014
Bottle. I’ve poured motor oil thinner than this beer. Pours a very thick and creamy near black color with a moderate brown head on it. Nose is roasty with some chocolate to it and just a hint of some spicy grains. Taste is thick and roasty, with some subtle chocolate and just a hint of smoke. Feels slightly bubbly, which makes it interesting. Hides the 11% well, I think.

Bulk_Carrier (6065) - Vermont, USA - APR 27, 2014
Reviewed from notes. The appearance that poured like jet fuel - pure black and slow like motor oil (could’ve sworn I heard the "glug, glug, glug" of the beer pouring out); small super tan/slightly brown colored slim looking head, light speckled all over the place lacing. The smell had a roasted cocoa with a spectacular dose of coffee aromas coming through, I believe I’m also getting some anise - ?? maybe. The taste had a roasty sweet and ever so slightly bitter cocoa/coffee flavoring with the anise just a tad stronger than before. There is some alcohol in the taste, but I realize I’m having a 11% beer from the growler 3 days after it was put into the growler; super sweet sticky aftertaste (holy coating of my lips, don’t think I’ve ever had any beer so sticky). It had somewhat of a dry sweet cocoa finish. On the palate, it sat about a medium to heavy, yup this beast is a sipper (don’t try to dominate this beer, you’re stupid if you attempt) in other words there’s no such word as sessionable for this beer. Carbonation is fairly smooth for an RIS - good for the style and for me. Overall, big wow from me, though I didn’t get the "rye" that’s described, I really like this beer; next time I have this I’m really hopin’ to have it next to Old Rasputin just to see which one I actually like better.

jonno (2849) - JAPAN - APR 24, 2014
Twas lovely, if lacking the complexity that one yearns for. Chocolate, spicy, chalk, roast. Balanced sweet and roasty. Liquorice, dark chocolate and some light soy.

hopscotch (11175) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - APR 18, 2014
Bottle... This beer rocks!… Zhukov-black pour with a tiny, creamy, light brown head. The deeply roasted nose is a mélange of charcoal, worn leather and dark chocolate. Full-bodied with a creamy mouthfeel and busy carbonation. The flavor is straight-up rich, bittersweet fudge with a chocolaty finish. Bottle courtesy of 50belair!

alexsdad06 (10583) - West Chester, Ohio, USA - MAR 28, 2014
22 oz bottle picked up in San Francisco last June shared with drsordr. Pours dark brown to black in color with a medium sized dense khaki head. The aroma and flavor have roasted malt, dark chocolate, meaty smoke, dark fruits and a hint of spicy rye. Solid offering from these guys, but I’ve had better.

tcane7 (1674) - Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 27, 2014
Bottle with Chris, Ray, Jay. Pours black with mocha head and spots of lace. Aroma is bruised, over ripe banana, roasted barley, smoke. Medium to full body with a well concealed abv. Bitter dry finish.

Cory (372) - , California, USA - MAR 13, 2014
Bottle. Smoke, molasses, cherries, very dry, bready on the palate, no booze, great beer. It’s a little.more dry than I would like but it still a great beer.

Maverick34 (3299) - New York, USA - FEB 18, 2014
Bottled from Decicco. Poured an ultra-viscous deep black motor oil. Slow forming dark tan head. Deep roasted malt and dark chocolate aroma. Rye notes, a bit of bourbon & vanilla as well. Chewy and delicious.

BBB63 (6557) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - FEB 16, 2014
Backlogged rating: Bottle share, Poured near opaque, small head, good oily legs. Heavy roast, chocolate, walnuts, espresso, leather, tobacco, blackened rye and dark fruit overtones. Lush sweetness countered by husky rye, bitter coffee and resiny hops. Very drinkable and ashy slightly boozy finish. I liked this, would love to have a bottle of my own.