overall
Brewed at Lervig Aktiebryggeri

Style: Black IPA
Copenhagen, Denmark

RATINGS: 810   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.92/5   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
Danish: En Oatmeal Stout brygget på: vand, malt, humle og gær. Specialversion med ekstra humle og tørhumlet med Simcoe og Columbus. Kaffe (Idido, lysristet) fra Danmarks sejeste kaffegutter Coffee Collective.

delnoche (516) - Alamogordo, New Mexico, USA - FEB 19, 2012
50cl bottle poured into a pint glass. Motor oil black with two fingers brown creamy head. Aroma is strong resinny hops. If I didn’t know better I would have thought this was an imperial IPA. Flavor is hops, hops, roasted malts, coffee, slight chocolate, and hops. Mouthfeel is silky smooth, medium carbonation, and leaves a stickiness like an IPA. Finish is lasting coffee and resin. A very tasty beer. Excellent!

Smeade (80) - Illinois, USA - FEB 17, 2012
S: very dark, light head A: burnt caramel, tart, bitter T: bitter, but sweet, malty & hoppy ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

jackl (8286) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - FEB 17, 2012
Bottle @ home. Pours a thick-looking deep brown color with a moderate tan head that retains well. Plenty of lacing. The nose is full of sweet chocolate syrup, but there’s also hints of delicate hops, wood, pepper. The taste initally, bright, sweet and a bit hoppy. Tangy fruits. The finish gives over to more bitter chocolate flavor ballasted by roasted malts and coffee beans. The body’s medium/full, the carbonation subtle and effective. Overall, a really interesting beer. Unique, inventive. I’m not crazy about the taste, though that doesn’t mean I don’t like it...

Sask89 (529) - Regina, Saskatchewan, CANADA - FEB 10, 2012
Pours black, opaque with a rocky mocha head that dissipates slightly. Aroma is loaded with chocolate and coffee, as well toasted grains, slight caramel and fairly subtle hop scents. Taste is dry and malty at up front but then has an amazing bitter kick in the finish that really makes it unique. Full body, softer carbonation and thicker on the palate. A really great beer, totally different than anything I’ve tried.

nbondi (203) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - FEB 10, 2012
Black with attractive milkshake tan head. Dank nose of weed, coffee, and pine. Very cool so far. Thick and velvety. Seriously. This is like drinking a mocha pot milkshake. Bitter dark roast coffee, chocolate, grass, citrus. This is unlike any stout or black IPA I’ve ever tried. Extreme in both directions, but still pulls it off. Lasting, balanced hop/coffee finish. I won’t seek this out often, but I’ll certainly enjoy it when I do.

drunkenpolack (319) - Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA - FEB 2, 2012
The fresh piney and floral hops in this beer shined through and the oats came in a close second. Slight taste of roasted malt and chocolate come in last. The shot of hops definitely makes this beer different than the base one.

Glouglouburp (6103) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JAN 31, 2012
In short: A so-called Stout that is in fact an intensely bitter Black IPA with an overwhelming amount of green bitter hops. For hopheads only (like me).
How: Bottle 500ml. Consumed fresh one month after purchase (as fresh as a Mikkeller can be in North-America)
The look: Black body topped by a medium beige head with medium retention leaving a lot of lacings on the glass
In long: Nose is a explosion of fresh green hops with light notes of roast and chocolate. Taste is more of the same. I think there was chocolate malts, roast, an oat sensation, some booze, maybe a bit of toffee. But as soon I took my first sip I could taste anything else than the hops. Bitterness level is through the roof, probably in the top-10 most bitter beers I’ve ever had. This beer is a palate destroyer. Hopping is very green, very fresh, like biting in green hop pellets. The bitterness is intense enough that it adds to the alcohol bite and makes the beer appear more boozy than it is. This is a straightforward beer but it’s hard for a beer to create complexity when the bitterness is so overwhelming. I love Black IPAs and I’m a hophead so I enjoyed this beer, but I would only recommend this beer to extreme Black IPAs lovers. This is rare hoppy beer that I’d like to taste with six more months of age on it. Thankfully I had my Mikkeller long stem tulip glass to drink this beer, and I find it unbelievable that some people out don’t realize that the it tastes 25% better when a beer is served in its proper glassware and when a sandwich is cut diagonally.

BeerCast_Rich (1906) - Edinburgh, SCOTLAND - JAN 30, 2012
[500ml bottle, Drinkmonger Edinburgh] Black pour with a huge tan head. Roasty aroma at first, then a huge hop hit on the nose. Sharp and roasted flavours mingle throughout - plenty of coffee on the aftertaste, but with a biting hop background. Fascinating to get both halves together. For me, it works [29012012]

LinusStick (3496) - Moon Twp, suburb of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 29, 2012
I wanted to like this beer as I love this series, I just didn’t like how the big hoppiness melded with the stout flavors. Aroma was big and delicious. Big rich milk chocolate, burnt roasted coffee and green hops. Pour was a beautiful deep dark brown/near black with a puffy one finger cherry head that laced all the way down the glass. Taste seemed very muddled. The strong coffee and roasted malt filled the mouth with bitterness from the start. The chocolate notes were gone. The hops come in mid-swallow with grapefruit rind and lemon. The mouth is left dry and extremely bitter. The flavors don’t compliment each other, they clash. Nice carbonation.

canuck_j (80) - Lethbridge, Alberta, CANADA - JAN 27, 2012
AROMA: Big notes of chocolate and roast, citrusy hops APPEARANCE: black as coal with a 1" pillowy tan head TASTE:Big sweet malt note and coffee,with an immediate bitter from the hops. caramel, toffee, and as it warms, dates and plums with a lemony tinge at the end from the lupelins PALATE: thick,almost chewy as it warms.lively carbonation and a bitter hop finish OVERALL: A very interesting beer, not like any other i have had, very hoppy stout, in nice balance with big maltiness and big hops to balance. Defies styles, in fact it arrogantly spits in it’s face. I love all Mikkeller beers that I have tried to date, this is one of the best.