overall
Mikkeller
Brewed at De Proefbrouwerij

Style: Imperial Stout
Copenhagen, Denmark

RATINGS: 306   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 393   ABV: 13.1%

HonkeyBra (4044) - Lemont, Illinois, USA - JUL 10, 2010
UPDATED: FEB 4, 2011 Very dark brown pour with nice full tan head. Big boozy aroma, bourbon, chocolate, coffee, some wood. A bit of a charred note. Flavor is booze up front. Very strong astringent alcohol bite. Then, there’s a bitterness that’s just there. Bitter alcohol, bitter charred wood, no real hops flavor. Light saltiness. This starts to open up a bit as you get into it. Booze softens a bit. More chocolate and coffee and salty wood. Ugh, I don’t know. Could have been a lot better.

daknole (11044) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - JUL 9, 2010
Yep, the Tampa crew hits again. Black pour, tan head. Aroma of coffee, chocolate, booze and something astringent. Flavor is harsh. The barrel aging of this beer didn’t really help, it actually hurt it. I get some bourbon and chocolate notes, come coffee...harsh. Not nearly as good as I expected.

RCL (2030) - Waltham, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 7, 2010
Should have taken better notes on this one, what I have is mostly illegible! It was significantly better than the rum barrel version: no really rough, woody finish and less pronounced alcohol. Some nice vanilla notes layered over a pronounced cocoa aroma. Pretty nice.

MissouriBrent (122) - Missouri, USA - JUL 4, 2010
Dark, almost chocolaty malt aroma. Sweet and inviting. I can smell the bourbon barrel. Vanilla notes add to the incredible aroma. Deep black with a dark brown head that both pours fuller and lasts longer than you would expect for a beer with this much alcohol. Sweet flavor with nice subtle coffee flavor. Alcohol is present, but seems less evident than in the other three in the barrel aged black hole series. Pleasant coffee flavors linger after each sip. This may be my favorite in the series. It may be that I prefer the flavors of bourbon more than the flavors of the other versions, but it seems to me this one is a better blend of flavors.

hopscotch (11049) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - JUL 3, 2010
Bottle… Tally Tasting ‘10This beer rocks!... Pours pitch black with a small, beige head. The aroma beckons with floral notes, espresso, cocoa and vanilla. Full-bodied with a slick mouthfeel and kicked-back carbonation. The flavor provides floral hops, dark coffee and charcoal bitterness playing nicely with bourbon and chocolate sweetness. Burnt, bitter, boozy finish. Thanks to Blazer06 for sharing this bottle of world class beer!

mcberko (17178) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - JUL 3, 2010
Bottle sampled at SIB, pours jet black with a tan head. Aroma and flavour of roasted malt, chocolate, oatmeal, coffee and alcohol. Outstanding.

Nena (963) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JUL 3, 2010
Bottle, SIB. Probably my favorite beer of the event. Deep black with a moderate dark tan head. Aroma is complex: a little bourbon, chocolate, dried fruits, char, vanilla. Body is moderately heavy, with a smooth creamy texture, low carbonation. Upon the initial sip, I was hit first by light char/roast, dry chocolate along with some light sweetness, vanilla, and dried fruit/nutty notes. Finishes with a sharply bitter coffee/roast flavor and a hit of bourbon. The bourbon doesn’t overwhelm this beer at all, but has a strong presence.

User29624 (1683) - - JUL 3, 2010
Bottle. Pours black with a thick tan head. Let this thing warm, you can taste the honey, coffee, bourbon, wood, vanilla. Great flavor, a little too sweet for me. Good beer.

iowaherkeye (2703) - Ocean Beach, San Diego, California, USA - JUL 1, 2010
thank to Gianni for the bottle. Clear deep dark brown with a one finger frothy beige head. Lots of hot buttery bourbon and vanilla in the nose with cream and moderate amount of deeply roasted malts. Also got a blast of iced coffee as it warmed--I had to double check the label to see if there was coffee in here. The flavor has a good amount of bourbon and coffee (and dark roasted malts) up front with less of the butter cream notes. Very strong alcohol presence. Bitterness peaked at a 4, dark chocolatey and burnt. Big full syrupy body with low carbonation. Not too bad, but I don’t remember being a huge fan of the base beer. Went fairly poorly with my See’s dark chocolate and almond bar.

17thfloor (2443) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUL 1, 2010
Bottle. Okay, my last of the 4. Just like the other 3, this thing really didn’t open up until the last couple sips (I split this one so I I’m sure I would have enjoyed the last half as it was meant). The honey really shows on this one more than any other. Probably because it adds to the sweet bourbon. The last few sips were magnificent. All the plastic was gone and all that was left was a very vivid barrel taste, the wood was incredible, light vanilla, light bourbon just fantastic aged barrel. Wish I could have finished the other half by myself, but I suppose sharing is caring.