overall
Mikkeller
Brewed at De Proefbrouwerij

Style: Imperial Stout
Copenhagen, Denmark

RATINGS: 294   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.55/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 393   ABV: 13.1%

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 9/20
coldbrewky (1730) - Hippetown East, New York, USA - JUL 18, 2010
I agree with Talon1117. A travesty of cluster-fu#$dom. Seaweed and sour sweaty socks. At times the black hole pokes its head out of the 10 foot waves of anaerobic peat. I shared this beer with my Father who stated " this was the strangest tasting lousy beer I have ever had" I would like a refund. So Mikkel, Ifn youre reading this.....shred the recipe frot this experimental brew ...it is pretty bad!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
sebletitje (9556) - Enghien, BELGIUM - JUL 17, 2010
2nd beer in the serie, thanks to Blazer 06 for the share. pours deep dark, tan head. aroma and flavors, lots of smoke, peat nose, just a style of barrels I cant get into, this one is just overly char/peat, the whiskey aspect is submerged in char, leaving a bad plastic finish with hints of chocolate. Not against the use of peat, but in this case, its just too much.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
deyholla (10704) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - JUL 12, 2010
Bottle shared with others. Poured black with a medium tan head that dissipated slowly. Aroma had strong peat aroma with a seaweed and smoke note that covers up the rest of the beer. I barely picked up any of the usual black hole notes. Flavor was similarly over whelmed by the whiskey with strong peat and algae notes. The coffee and bitter chocolate come out a bit but not much at all.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 3/20
talon1117 (1152) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - JUL 11, 2010
I assume this is the scotch whisky edition... I dont know why I continue to try scotch-aged beers. I cant even get through this rating, all I can smell and taste is iodine, seaweed, and peat from the scotch barrels. For a beer that has a great base and certainly a nice bourbon edition, the scotch version was undrinkable for me.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
daknole (10920) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - JUL 9, 2010
Wow to the Tampa crew. Black pour, beige head. Liquid banaids and smoke. Nothing but bandaids. Phenol bomb. Hard to even drink honestly. Overkill.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Bragesnak (5394) - Aarhus, DENMARK - JUL 4, 2010
From lbutikken, Copenhagen, DK. Bottled, 260610. Black with beige head. Aroma of roasted malt and peat. Flavor is balanced complex of coffee, chocolate, smoke and sweet malt.

MissouriBrent (122) - Missouri, USA - JUL 3, 2010
Aroma is alcohol and sweet malt with a good amount of smokey peat aroma. Poured a decent dark brown head. Very black color. Flavor is very smokey. Alcohol is evident. Malt flavor is very interesting, I do get some scotch flavors. Body is on the thin side of medium bodied. Nice beer. I have a bit of a stuffy nose today, so I am sure I am missing some of the more subtle flavors and aromas. Overall I have no real complaints about this beer. Very drinkable, or should I say sip-able, because a beer like this has to be sipped and savored.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
fidel (1302) - Livermore, California, USA - JUN 29, 2010
Poured very black, lots of roasted peat, coffee, alcohol, little molasses, little vanilla, little dark fruits. I like scotch, but it was hard to drink because of the liquid peat added was to much.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
hopdog (11888) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 27, 2010
12.7oz bottle. Poured a dark black color with a larger sized tan head. Aromas of earthiness, peat, dirty, chocolate, woody, and a little smoky. Tastes of peat, dirty earthiness, chocolate, coffee, and smoke. Lots of alcohol in the finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
madmitch76 (23354) - , Essex, ENGLAND - JUN 20, 2010
6th June 2010. RBESG 10 Grand Tasting at the Brasserie 4:20 Warehouse. Big thanks to Alex for allowing us to take this off the shelves at his warehouse! Black beer, no head. Sweet peaty whisky nose. Sweet chocolate and dark malt and whisky. Extremely well joined up. Finishes semi dry with a little warmth. Nice whisky RIS.