overall
Mikkeller
Brewed at De Proefbrouwerij

Style: Imperial Stout
Copenhagen, Denmark

RATINGS: 297   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.55/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 393   ABV: 13.1%

1.1
brokensail (16449) - Dublin, California, USA - JUL 22, 2010
A: The pour is black, flat, and generally about the same as the other versions. I’m giving it a 2.5 because I can’t give things like smell, taste, or drinkability a 0. S: As soon as the bottle was opened, the overwhelming peat and smoke notes filled the room. Salty, woody, and decaying notes infect my nose. Burnt and charred malt/wood "top" things off. T: The flavor is inexplicably salty. The peat flavor is just bad, and on top of the saltiness, there’s some soy sauce flavor to add to it. The alcohol burn is there too, just for good measure. M: The body is light for such a big beer and the carbonation is non-existent. D: This was one of the least enjoyable drinking experiences. Of a 375 ml bottle, at least 11.5 ounces were dumped. This is an insult to bad beers everywhere. Yes, this was so bad, I couldn’t even use consistent units of measurement.

WeeHeavySD (3387) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JUL 19, 2010
Bottle someone shared at sour fest 4. Black pour, nose is instens, super duper peatty and smokey. Taste is quite smokey as well. This was not my thing, but then again, I don’t quite have the tolerance of peat and smoke of seasoned scotch drinker. Dalekliz loved it though.

BMan1113VR (7931) - Los Angeles, California, USA - JUL 19, 2010
Bottle I shared at Sourfest. Pours with a black body and a tan head. Aroma is smoke, charcoal, artificial smoke and peat! Smells like Smokehead. Taste is wood, coffee, tobacco and peat. Way more barrel character than the other two of this series that I have had so far (bourbon and rum). Really aggressive!

coldbrewky (1730) - Hippetown East, New York, USA - JUL 18, 2010
I agree with Talon1117. A travesty of cluster-fu#$dom. Seaweed and sour sweaty socks. At times the black hole pokes its head out of the 10 foot waves of anaerobic peat. I shared this beer with my Father who stated " this was the strangest tasting lousy beer I have ever had" I would like a refund. So Mikkel, If’n you’re reading this.....shred the recipe frot this experimental brew ...it is pretty bad!

sebletitje (10080) - Enghien, BELGIUM - JUL 17, 2010
2nd beer in the serie, thanks to Blazer 06 for the share. pours deep dark, tan head. aroma and flavors, lots of smoke, peat nose, just a style of barrels I can’t get into, this one is just overly char/peat, the whiskey aspect is submerged in char, leaving a bad plastic finish with hints of chocolate. Not against the use of peat, but in this case, it’s just too much.

deyholla (11604) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - JUL 12, 2010
Bottle shared with others. Poured black with a medium tan head that dissipated slowly. Aroma had strong peat aroma with a seaweed and smoke note that covers up the rest of the beer. I barely picked up any of the usual black hole notes. Flavor was similarly over whelmed by the whiskey with strong peat and algae notes. The coffee and bitter chocolate come out a bit but not much at all.

talon1117 (1152) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - JUL 11, 2010
I assume this is the scotch whisky edition... I don’t know why I continue to try scotch-aged beers. I can’t even get through this rating, all I can smell and taste is iodine, seaweed, and peat from the scotch barrels. For a beer that has a great base and certainly a nice bourbon edition, the scotch version was undrinkable for me.

daknole (11049) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - JUL 9, 2010
Wow to the Tampa crew. Black pour, beige head. Liquid banaids and smoke. Nothing but bandaids. Phenol bomb. Hard to even drink honestly. Overkill.

Bragesnak (5394) - Aarhus, DENMARK - JUL 4, 2010
From Ølbutikken, Copenhagen, DK. Bottled, 260610. Black with beige head. Aroma of roasted malt and peat. Flavor is balanced complex of coffee, chocolate, smoke and sweet malt.

MissouriBrent (122) - Missouri, USA - JUL 3, 2010
Aroma is alcohol and sweet malt with a good amount of smokey peat aroma. Poured a decent dark brown head. Very black color. Flavor is very smokey. Alcohol is evident. Malt flavor is very interesting, I do get some scotch flavors. Body is on the thin side of medium bodied. Nice beer. I have a bit of a stuffy nose today, so I am sure I am missing some of the more subtle flavors and aromas. Overall I have no real complaints about this beer. Very drinkable, or should I say sip-able, because a beer like this has to be sipped and savored.