overall
Mikkeller
Brewed at De Proefbrouwerij

Style: Imperial Stout
Copenhagen, Denmark

RATINGS: 293   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.55/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 393   ABV: 13.1%

maneliquor (3514) - Perth, AUSTRALIA - FEB 28, 2011
I can see what they’ve done here but this beer is too much (never thought I’d say that). It is far too overbearing in its peatiness and its oily mouthfeel only adds to that. Nick so kindly put it, "taste like I’m having a stout from a filthy ash tray"

maledictum (822) - Pyongyang, NORTH KOREA - DEC 12, 2011
Pours black with a tint of red and a dense light brown head. Aroma of iodine and peat. Solid body, burned malts, salt, tar, sea water, ashes and iodine with a massive malt bitter finish.

wonkazoo (7) - California, USA - NOV 16, 2011 does not count
Quite possibly one of the best- and yet for me possibly the most terrifying beers I have ever had. Similar to the other Black-Hole genre, but with an ugly burnt nose and an absolutely painful finish. Goes down like charred peat, which is probably not a surprise given the design. I absolutely love that they are trying things that I have never even imagined, for without attempt there can be no failure. Try this beer at your own risk!!

Rando7 (787) - Iowa, USA - OCT 6, 2011
Bottle pours black with medium tan head. Nice lacing. Aroma of oak and roast. Taste initially heavy smoke, replaced by an odd chlorine and solvent flavor. There was some roast, peat and whiskey discernible as well as wood. Palate thick. Finish thankfully was fairly brief and ac continuation of the taste. Alcohol very dominant.

Looking forward to this but wow what a disappointment. Would not drink again.

msante79 (2244) - Mount Prospect, Illinois, USA - FEB 4, 2011
The only nice thing about this beer was the pour. Nice dark brown, almost black with tan head. Aroma is smoke, coffee, green pepper, burnt plastic. Flavors of burnt plastic and with some resemblance of a coffee stout. Took two sips and dumped it. Waste of money.

coldbrewky (1731) - Hippetown East, New York, USA - JUL 18, 2010
I agree with Talon1117. A travesty of cluster-fu#$dom. Seaweed and sour sweaty socks. At times the black hole pokes its head out of the 10 foot waves of anaerobic peat. I shared this beer with my Father who stated " this was the strangest tasting lousy beer I have ever had" I would like a refund. So Mikkel, If’n you’re reading this.....shred the recipe frot this experimental brew ...it is pretty bad!

alexsdad06 (11392) - West Chester, Ohio, USA - MAY 20, 2012
Bottle. Oily black pour with a few soapy bubbles hanging around. The aroma had big roasted notes to the point where it is almost ashy, much of the other notes are covered up by the harshness of the barrel. The flavor has a strong ash component mixed with an even stronger peat whiskey barrel assault. This tastes worse than it smells. Some may like this, but I want my beers to taste like beer first and have barrel influences. This was easily the worst treatment of the bunch for me. The cost makes this even worse.

bigabe (194) - California, USA - DEC 16, 2011
Oof. This beer is nice to look at. Aroma is peat, soy sauce, and other savory notes that I don’t really care for. Taste is peat, oak, smoke, a little coffee, a little chocolate, then more peat oak and smoke. Body is actually thinner than I thought it would be... Sorry. I just don’t like this beer. It’s really kinda gross.

Odland (139) - NORWAY - FEB 6, 2011
Bottle shared @ Henrik. Pours oily black with next to nothing head. Extreme aroma and taste of peated whiskey. Horrible.