overall
Brewed at De Proefbrouwerij

Style: Imperial Stout
Copenhagen, Denmark

RATINGS: 1419   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.96/5   EST. CALORIES: 393   ABV: 13.1%
Finally! Black Hole is what Mikkeller is all about. Daring, vulgar and extreme. From the very beginning Mikkellers goal has been to push the limit and with this warming, intense imperial stout, a new chapter in the Danish beer history has been written. The high bitterness from the hops and the sweetness from the malt and alcohol, creates a good balance which makes Black Hole an explosion of nuances, but also leaves a feeling of a perfect and complex beer in the heavyweight category.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Jan Primus (160) - Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA - MAY 11, 2008
Pours out pitch black with a darker than usual tan head which did not stay around for long. The taste was a bit bitter (like overoasted coffee) and quite thin in body for a beer of 13.1% alc. and nothing overly complex...perhaps it needs aging as I assume my bottle was very fresh, will re-visit my other bottle next winter.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 16/20
JesseM (1158) - Margaritaville, Ontario, CANADA - MAY 10, 2008
375ml bottle shared with Jan Primus, Jans bottle, thanks Jan! Pours a really nice opaque brown with a large browinish tan coloured head. This was an interesting one. Ill give it one thing, never have I had a beer so alcoholic yet so relatively easy to drink. It was sort of a weird mix of an ok Imperial Stout and Stone Runeation. That is my own bizarre perception, take it as that. A very hop-defined one, same sort of tongue-assaulting bitterness, but not without being interesting. I dont know really; Id drink it again, but its not really all that great at the same time. Still decent though, I look forward to more Scandinavian brews in my future! (sticking with a large part of my heritage).

MiP (15454) - Snderborg, DENMARK - MAY 10, 2008
UPDATED: AUG 19, 2016 Bottle, 13.1%. Sweet and roasted aroma with a nice, grassy hoppiness. Very black colour, small fizzy brown head. Oily mouthfeel. The flavour is very roasted with roast barley bitterness. Also quite sweet with a grassy hoppiness. There is a sharp alcohol bite at the end, to be expected, of course. Perhaps a bit unbalanced, but it could be worse, and I do not really mind unbalanced beers. 7 3 8 3 18

Bottle, 13.1%. Powerful aroma, malt syrup and a little coffee to begin with. Then comes a distinct alcohol aroma with some paint thinner. Almost black colour, seems clear with a red shine. Big stable lacy creamy brown head. The flavour is very sweet and very bitter with a good dose of roast barley. Creamy with a sugary malt syrup note. Quite spicy. Sort of well-balanced even though it is quite powerful. Mild bite in the finish, more like hops than alcohol, I guess. 8 4 8 4 16

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Stefano (2000) - Thisted, DENMARK - MAY 8, 2008
UPDATED: JAN 17, 2009 Pours a dark black with a diminishing mocha head. Chocolate, roast, bitter coffee, and slight carmel on the nose. The flavour is bitter sweet with lots of roasted malt and chocolate along with bitter coffee, some smoke, alcohol, hops, dark fruits and liquorice. An excellent beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
ajm (1072) - Los Angeles, California, USA - MAY 6, 2008
Meh. Sort of too dark for effective tasting. Granted it was my third at the Ueber-Tavern, but my impression is that is very dense like Dark Force only without that last minute coffee zing to bring the taste back from dirt. Somebody even mentioned Dark Force at the bar that night... curious...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
ElGaucho (2400) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - MAY 4, 2008
Bottle. Aroma hints at the considerable strength youre about to experience. Pours a black, oily consistency without a lot of head. Mouthfeel is oily as well. Very strong. Prevailing flavor characteristics are molasses, black licorice and soy sauce, although, like a red wine, it improves after awhile after opening. Quite frankly not my favorite. Similar in flavor, albeit at a lower alcohol concentration, to Oso Belgian Dark, which I actually somewhat prefer. Black Hole is an alcohol bomb and the primary culprit to the headache I now feel the day after.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
mixinnixon2000 (226) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAY 1, 2008
bottle. poured a dard brown color. strong coffee flavors and malts. it did not blow me away, but it was pretty good. I would have it again.

MrBunn (2789) - The Wet Side of a Dry Town, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 30, 2008
Bottle for rating #700! Ive been saving this one for a whle now and the anticipation has been killing me. The rubber/plastic cork was almost impossible to get out. Following a lengthy battle I fill my glass with a very dark brown liquid that leaves a bit of a tan head on the surface and smells stongly of anise, even before I come in for a closer sniff. Following a little more complete investigation, Im going to stick with my first answer. Anise is dominant, but there is a bit of a smoke and coffee feel to it, too. Flavor is unique, but I was expecting it to be a little different. I can say that the flavor keeps on changing for an exceptionally long time... take a sip, wait a couple of minutes, it will still be with you. Heres some of my thoughts about what Im picking up: onset is both bitter coffee and dark fruit flavors that then give way to charcoal and smoke flavors and finally head back to coffee. On the second sip, it is getting harder to pick up different flavors... I didnt know that my palate would go dead that quickly! Anyhow, really nice mix and fairly interesting plot development.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
johans (36) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - APR 30, 2008
UPDATED: MAY 1, 2008 My second sampling of black hole. Had bottle #38 from the first 100. This new batch has better carbonation - the first had next to no carbonation. Great coffee aroma. Looks ok, its black!!. Flavor is strong coffee and liqorice. A bit too much black malts for my taste, as it gets somewhat grainy.Initially, the alcoholic finish was warming and very nice, but as the beer got warmer, it became hot and a little solvent-like.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
tomthompson89 (1982) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - APR 30, 2008
Great Stout, thick pitch black,beige head nose is uhhm some fruit i think cherry some soy and maybe choc. mouthfeel is THICK and a little oily, nice alcohol flavor, some cherry and choc flavor, very nice interesting beer.