overall

Style: Spice/Herb/Vegetable
Copenhagen, Denmark

RATINGS: 82   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.68/5   EST. CALORIES: 198   ABV: 6.6%

omega (899) - NEW ZEALAND - OCT 29, 2014
From Texas to Mexas, this one has a bit more sweetness on the palate. The aroma also seems intensified by the barrel aging, yet I find it to be a little more subdued on the palate. I typically don’t like tequila - it is my angry drink, but for this beer it somehow works. Come any closer and I will stab you!

dambor (844) - Berlin, GERMANY - FEB 6, 2015
Pours pitch black with a wonderful head, leaving a nice lacing. Aroma: chocolate, chillies, tequilla, vanilla. Taste: chocolate and coffee followed by tequilla with a very nice hoppy aftertaste, coupled with a pleasant alcohol warming effect. Very interesting-the ingredients balance very well.

Valgreen (814) - DENMARK - DEC 12, 2013
Bottle @ Max. Pitch black, medium tan head, nice lacing. Aroma, roasted malts, chocolate, slightly sour, spicy, sweet. Taste, roasted malts, chocolate, coffee, spicy, chili, wood, vegetables. Better than the normal version. Dry mouth feel.

vjohans (763) - SWEDEN - SEP 30, 2016
caramel, toast, roasty, chili, cinneamon, barrel, woodblack, hazy, brown foam, medium sweetness, lightly bitter, lightly sour, bitter, long finish, sticky, medium body, slightly unbalanced

Hop_Hedonist (664) - Perth, AUSTRALIA - APR 23, 2015
Just great from nose to palate - I don’t get any chilli or spices - don’t get much tequila either but missing these elements doesn’t distract me from a superb, smooth, balanced and richly earthy chocolate/coffee tasting brew - more like a stout to me but lighter on the tongue - lovely.

Majin (256) - West Des Moines, Iowa, USA - JUN 13, 2013
Bottle at club w. dark pour. Makes me think about banging sluts in Mexico. Yay. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

Uhlen (251) - Trondheim, NORWAY - FEB 26, 2013
Oily black pour with a thick creamy light brown head. Roasty, sour, spices and tequila in the nose. Taste is hefty spices, tequila, sourness, some smoke.

mezr (158) - California, USA - APR 16, 2013
Poured from a 12.7 oz bottle, it’s as close to black as can be ... and yet still be brown. A HUGE, frothy, medium brown head slowly dissipates and laces nicely on the glass. Aroma is of caramel, roasty malt and earthy. Maybe cocoa and vanilla? Tasting this beer is a relief, because I was afraid that it would be a bit boozy given the fermentation in tequila barrels. But it’s not. What does come through is a slight saltiness, followed by a little sting from the many chilies used in the brewing process. Not sure if it’s the chilies or the carbonation, but it’s a bit lively on the palate, and it’s a bit sticky too. This is one of those beers where I wasn’t sure if I’d like the unusual combination of ingredients. In the end, I’d say it’s a winner. But I wish I knew that the "non-tequila" version was like.

n00bface (137) - Minneapolis, USA - JAN 15, 2013
Bottle from Ølbutikken (Copenhagen, Denmark)

Aroma: Chocolate, salt water, peppers, burnt malt, nail polish, and some booze (presumably from the tequila barrels)

Appearance: Dark brown with a light brown head (although it is quite dark, even for the style)

Taste: Fairly complex taste. Some tartness at first, followed by some booziness, and some coffee in the finish. The peppers linger for a while on the tongue. Definitely a porter base. The tartness surprised me. Reminds me a bit of pickled jalapenos.

Palate: Full bodied, slightly oily texture, and a lively carbonation (at the right temperature it’s a bit prickly even).

Fantastic. I wish I would have tried the original Mexas Ranger first so that I could compare the two.