overall
Brewed by Mill Street Brewery (AB InBev)
Style: American Pale Ale
Toronto, Canada

RATINGS: 522   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.5/5   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Like traditional pale ales, Tankhouse Ale has a deep copper-red colour. We use five different malts to produce a complex malty texture. The most dominant character of our Pale Ale is the hop. The spicy Cascades is used to give an assertive hop flavour, aroma and bitterness to our ale. The result is a satisfying and complex-tasting beer. Our brewmaster developed this recipe 20 years ago and it has remained his favorite drink of choice

gregorymconway (232) - Peterborough, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 11, 2015
Transparent copper/amber body. Malty, some caramel and toffee, but also a big hop presense. Reminiscent of a really hoppy vienna, or a real west coast APA.

matstr (23) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 23, 2014
caramel, nuts, brown, coppery colour, medium bitterness, long finish, very flavourful brew. I would recommend it!

RD400F (226) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - DEC 23, 2014
Bottle to nonic glass, the beer pours a transparent red-amber with not much head. The aroma is odd....spices, pez candy, licorice....strange stuff. Taste is typical of a red ale with the balance more toward hop than malt with some spice in the background. The palate is ok, watery and not very complex but quite refreshing....carb is decent too. Overall...I’ve had worse but...not my thing. Boring really.

HippyHop (656) - Quebec, CANADA - DEC 21, 2014
It’s been a while since my masochism has led me to try a Mill Street offering, so I thought why not try out their flagship beer? It’s got solid ratings, how bad can it be? Well, as usual it’s not so much that it’s a bad beer, it’s just nothing like what they claim it to be, which drinks me flippin bonkers. This is a solid, tasty AMBER ALE, that’s it. Hops are most certainly not the "most dominant character". I get more Cascade aroma out of Keith’s Hops series. There’s no "assertive hop flavour, aroma and bitterness"; there’s a hint of the two former, and a modicum of the latter. And if the brewmaster developed this recipe 20 years ago and it’s still his favourite, I think I’m beginning to understand why I’m so routinely underwhelmed by these guys. Note: my rating is based on what this beer CLAIMS to be. If it called itself an Amber, or even an Altbier, or a friggin EPA, I’d probably give it a 3ish. But since this beer is a big fat phony, as most of their beers seem to be, I’m giving it a 2.5. But I SHOULD give it a damn 0.

97hill (202) - - NOV 4, 2014
Can from the beer store. I have had this before but it has been a while. Nice colour, not much hop, but malty and smooth for sure. A touch on the sweet side, which works from time to time. For sure the best thing @ the moment from Mill Street

Randy4Beer (513) - - OCT 19, 2014
Pours a dark copper/caramel colour. Decent head. Above average lacing. Aromas are big sweet caramel malts. Tastes are malts, bit of molasses, a smidgen of nuttiness, a touch of red fruit peels. Overall, I wasn’t expecting much and I have to say this one surpassed my expectations. Not a bad beer at all.

mikedR (1561) - Gilbert, Arizona, USA - SEP 10, 2014
For a pale, incredibly malty. And particularly smooth considering it is an ale. Nice! ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

KansaiBeerLvrs (5153) - Kyoto, JAPAN - AUG 11, 2014
Bottle at my uncle’s place. It pours a crystal clear golden brown with a big malty aroma, nutty cocoa. The taste is nice and clean maltiness with a little tangy citrus. Pretty good.

JesseMartineau (91) - Alberta, CANADA - AUG 7, 2014
341ml bottle. Pours copper thick off white head good lacing. Aromas of pepper, bread, toast malt, biscuit. Taste malty, spice, caramel. Finishes a touch dry. Very nice.

dfearnley (2143) - Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA - AUG 6, 2014
Draft to pint glass Papaya, bread, lemon, spruce. Clear amber, with a thin creamy off white head. Taste is apple, red pepper, bread, some late bitterness.