overall
Brewed by Mill Street Brewery (AB InBev)
Style: American Pale Ale
Toronto, Canada

RATINGS: 502   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.5/5   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Like traditional pale ales, Tankhouse Ale has a deep copper-red colour. We use five different malts to produce a complex malty texture. The most dominant character of our Pale Ale is the hop. The spicy Cascades is used to give an assertive hop flavour, aroma and bitterness to our ale. The result is a satisfying and complex-tasting beer. Our brewmaster developed this recipe 20 years ago and it has remained his favorite drink of choice

Elkas (220) - Cambridge, Ontario, CANADA - AUG 4, 2009
341ml bottle from the LCBO. Pours a dark amber, with a small head that leaves great lacing. Wonderful rich hop aroma. Flavour is rich malts with some gritty hop backbone. Very nice beer indeed.

beergut111 (210) - Berlin, GERMANY - MAY 26, 2006
A great Toronto beer! I love the spicy flavour. I drank a lot of this stuff last fall.

AcctError53909 (209) - St. Johns, Newfoundland, CANADA - AUG 12, 2008
Pours a ruby red colour with a light brown head, that actually lasts for a little while. Aroma is pretty much citrusy hops. Flavour is sort of bitter and a little bit stale sort of. It’s fairly malty in the mouth, and finishes up a bit citrusy. There’s some spicyness in it, but not an excessive amount. It’s sort of nice at first, fairly hoppy, and sweet malts backing that up, but then it sort of finishes like old cardboard. Mouthfeel is slightly thick, but not creamy by any means. Carbonation is a bit high for the style I think.

KingofCastle (208) - London, Ontario, CANADA - AUG 7, 2006
UPDATED: AUG 4, 2007 bottle: The bottle reads that they use a staggering amount of hops and different malts to create a fiery, spicey pale ale. Well, it is spicy & has tonnes of flavour, but it is almost too hoppy and the malts don’t balance it out. Granted the IPA is hard to do right. I suggest the Wells IPA, way smootther & flavour that actually works together. This is complex all right but that doesn’t mean it is good. Feels bitter/sharp in the mouth and finishes that way too: flavours just don’t blend & I smell & taste something very distinct like citrus or pineapple which is way too strong. Reminds me of a true spice ale or a red/copper ale, but there are better ones out there. Way too much hype here. Part of the unfortunate micro-brew trend to combat blah-tasting macro brews with overly flavourful beers you can’t drink or just don’t bind into 1 smooth flavour.

joeec5 (204) - bayonne, New Jersey, USA - JUN 19, 2005
aroma is great with caramel, malt, hoppy. like a nice mild double ipa. pallate is thin and it is only mildy flavorful. like mixing a great ipa. with water maybe, not offensive, just a bit thin.

RxForHealth (202) - - JUL 4, 2014
This is one of my favorites. This pours a beautiful copper color with a modest head and nice lacing. Nice hoppy aroma. Complex palate. Long finish. Delicious. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

gildnerk (201) - Düsseldorf, GERMANY - APR 29, 2014
Tap. Dark golden-brown in colour with a thin white head. Aromas of sweet malts, grapefruit and some brown sugar. Nice hoppy nose with a decent bitter body and some bittersweet notes in the aftertaste. Well carbonated. Well-balanced, enjoyable ale.

RaphaelN (195) - Peterborough, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 30, 2006
I think this beer deserves higher credential than it is getting. I absolutely loved it. Gorgeous beer with a very minimal head. Poured a reddish copper hue. Nose invited me in and the taste blew me away. In my experience from the Coffee Porter, I was expecting something equally unsatisfying, but was I wrong! Not the most complex beer. Hints of chocolate and coffee linger in the finish. Very easy to drink and very satisfying. Just a tad bit watery. Would definitely buy again!

Bobsy (194) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - NOV 4, 2007
UPDATED: NOV 19, 2007 On tap at the brewery. Deep amber colour with a small white head. Aroma of caramel is reflected in the body, which also packs a nice level of bitterness. Bready aftertaste with dried fruits.

zeek (194) - British Columbia, CANADA - JUN 18, 2012
Pours less carbonation than most Mill St beers, 1 cm head in a regular glass. Great aroma of hops and malt, no gimmicks. Taste is not complex, but in a good way. Finishes bitter.