overall
RATINGS: 28   MEAN: 2.84/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.85/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 276   ABV: 9.2%

Awktoberfest's rating

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Awktoberfest (404) - Aurora, Illinois, USA - JUN 9, 2013
Bottle pours murky..cloudy... with very little carbonation... No head ever... During pour or after...appearance is sad..aroma comes through with some traditional hefe clove and the same with taste... But is not clean or smooth or crisp...just overly sweet and thoroughly unenjoyable...Improve it or don't make it every stinking year...:( ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

jb (3253) - Rochester, New York, USA - JAN 26, 2017
This was awesome. Thanks for the trade, and the Iowa beer Ron! Nice complexity, nice hidden booze, true to style. Spicy, apple nose. mouthfeel is thick and syrupy, a bit of booze burn in the middle detracts a tiny bit. Then a very dry finish. Hazy dark orange is attractive to me.

Ron (3961) - Rochester, New York, USA - NOV 9, 2016
Funny story how I got this beer. My daughter was to bring me back some beer from her visit to Denver. She forgot! So as she is driving back thru Iowa she picks up this Mix12 pk at a gas station. Turns out, Iowa was the only state that I have not yet had a beer from that was made in that state! I now have the USA map filled in. OH, I did not like this beer. I’m not much for honey beers and it did not mix well. I’ll try it again thou and maybe it’ll grow on me.

ozzy70 (1148) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - JUL 26, 2016
Tap at the brewery on 7-18-16. Pours cloudy amber, off white head. Aroma was banana, sweet honey, spices, clove. Taste was sweet, banana, bubblegum, and spice.

JPDIPSO (6223) - Wauwatosa, USA - MAR 14, 2016
Golden to amber in color with a small lid of ecru bubbles. Scents of sweet malt, flowers, honey and ripe fruit. Sweet fruit and malt flavors. Some candi as well. Too sweet and imbalanced for me. 12/11

rosenbergh (11532) - Tampere, FINLAND - SEP 10, 2013
12 fl oz bottle. From Iowa. A big thank you to John M.
Hazy dark orange golden colour with an average sized white head. Toffee sweetness, wheat, yeast and more sweetness in the aroma. The flavour is... bitter... and yeasty. Alcohol is also very well present. Not very enjoyable. The aroma promised more...

jandd1983 (4330) - Wentzville, Missouri, USA - AUG 6, 2013
It poured a dark hazy brown color with an off-white head. The aroma was big notes of bubblegum, fruity esters, biscuit, banana and spice. The taste was of sweet bubblegum, fruit notes, slight banana, spice notes, a slight touch of honey, with a very sweet sticky finish.

jebert (500) - Watertown, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 1, 2013
Pours a slightly cloudy dark gold with a thin white head. Nose is fruit and honey. Creamy texture and thick viscosity. Very flavorful and sweet with a wheat backbone with lots of honey sweetness, some fruitiness and very little hop bitterness. Overall, an enjoyable tasty brew. Can be enjoyed alone or pairs well with smoked turkey sandwich.

BVery (10510) - Plymouth, Minnesota, USA - JUL 14, 2013
UPDATED: DEC 30, 2013 Bottle. Murky orange pour with minimal head. Smells of banana and booze - okay. Taste - lets call it undrinkable. Boozy malt likka like. Gross.

CanIHave4Beers (4187) - Pouring Bus, Iowa, USA - JUL 11, 2013
So I start the uphill part of my ride on my way to being the top rater of Iowa beers before the end of this month.
This is an attractive enough beer in the glass, it’s got a nice lightly hazy golden color and a medium sized, well retained head.

The aroma is doughy, grainy, sweet, & boozy. The banana and spice thing is there, but it’s pretty subdued... it’s got sort of a weird booze on over ripe fruit thing that you find in some Malt Liquors.

The flavor is very ripe banana, like almost more of a true banana flavor than you typically find in a hefeweizen, without giving off a lot of the sweetness that more traditional Hefes & Weizenbocks do. Those are the things I like about this beer. Unfortunately the spiciness & alcohol are really bold and come across as a touch brash, still I like this better than I thought I would.

This brings back memories of the Festival of Iowa brewers years back when the other Weizenbock Millstream makes came out, I like that beer better than this one, but they’ve got some very similar characteristics. Not sure why I’m waxing about this, but that was a really fun time... and, I don’t know... sort of nice to babble about it for a minute.

blipp (9278) - La Mesa, California, USA - JUN 30, 2013
Bottle. Pours orange with a white head. Wheaty base, with banana fruity notes, grains, and some honey sweetness. A little rough and unrefined with some lingering sweetness. Not bad, though.