overall
RATINGS: 227   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.15/5   EST. CALORIES: 147   ABV: 4.9%
The name Schild Brau means essentially 'Shield beer' in German. This is our Flagship brew, a Microbrew done in the style of the special beers of Munich. This beer is brewed in the style of a Vienna style lager. This style was first developed by Anton Dreher in Vienna in 1841. He used a new type of sweet caramelized malt that gave the beer a wonderful reddish, coppery color and a juicy malt character. Word soon spread to Germany where this style of beer became immensely popular, and stronger versions called Marzen or Oktoberfest were soon made. Our beer uses these same malts to attain a perfect balance between malty sweetness and a firm bitterness. Our Hallertau hops are imported from Germany give it subtle spicy flavor. The repeated awards that we have received for this beer only confirm why many people consider this beer to be synonymous with Millstream Brewing at its best.

bbrock81 (317) - Le Mars, Iowa, USA - DEC 18, 2003
This is one of the best beers I've had, a very pleasing surprise. The aroma is nice and malty, just the way I like it. The color is a beautiful dark orange-amber. The flavor is deliciously malty, a little sweet, with just a hint of hop presence. I don't know what some of the other people are talking about when they say it has a thin mouthfeel, as this was the creamiest, smoothest bottled beer I've ever had. Absolutely delightful, and I'll definitely keep some of this around.

pojo41 (315) - Hattiesburg, Mississippi, USA - NOV 6, 2006
Bottle. Nice color and head. Slightly malty flavor. This was my favorite of the Mill Stream beers until I tried their pilsner.

brokephibroke (315) - Mead, Colorado, USA - APR 18, 2014
On tap at the Cedar Rapids airport . Clear dark amber. Crisp malty taste with a nice earthy bitter linger. Nicely carbonated. This is a solid Midwest beer in the style of a German Amber,

awaller05 (305) - Sharon, Wisconsin, USA - SEP 25, 2004
My notes are spotty on this one, lets see it was dark brown with decent head on it. tasted good after a long day of looking at tractors.

Gmku (303) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - APR 10, 2005
It was baking hot in the square when we came out after lunch with our bags and the rod-case to go to Burguete. People were on top of the bus, and others were climbing up a ladder. Bill went up and Robert sat beside Bill to save a place for me, and I went back in the hotel to get a couple of bottles of wine with us. When I came out the bus was crowded. Men and women were sitting on all the baggage and boxes on top, and the women all had their fans going in the sun. It certainly was hot. Robert climbed down and I fitted into the place he had saved on the one wooden seat that ran across the top.

PattyBoy (302) - North Liberty, Iowa, USA - JUL 10, 2006
On tap. Poured a dark amber. Flavor is sweet malt, some roasts. Nothing that really makes it stand out, but it goes good with some sauerbraten.

BrianHagmeier (299) - Coralville, Iowa, USA - NOV 15, 2007
UPDATED: APR 8, 2010 Re-rate: Perfection! love the changes in the beer in the past couple of years. It’s just getting better and better. I feel lucky to have this brewery so close to home! Beautiful red pour with a medium head and lacing. Nice malt and grain aroma. Very sweet malt flavor with a hearty body that ends a little bitter sweet.

Davinci (295) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - FEB 29, 2008
nice caramally amber color with good head. Nose is rye bread some caramel sweetness. Flavor is roasty sweetness, some spicey grain, and a hair of tart fruit. Body is medium to light. finishes medium dry with some sweetness and grassy hop character. Enjoyable.

BeerZack (288) - Asheville, North Carolina, USA - MAY 4, 2008
Dark copper color with minimal head. Sweet caramel, marzipan, some toffee, fig, hint of spice (nutmeg). Pleasantly surprising flavor, much more subdued sweetness than the nose shows. Some mild caramel sweetness balanced by some dry roasted barley notes and just enough hop bitterness to almost cleanse the palate. Medium-heavy carbonation, a bit stinging, medium body. Pretty drinkable.

mfhennig (285) - McHenry County, Illinois, USA - JAN 12, 2016
Not my preferred style of beer, but everything about it seemed to mesh together. I liked it, but I’m certainly not going to the store to purchase it.