overall
RATINGS: 323   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.08/5   IBU: 66   EST. CALORIES: 162   ABV: 5.4%
This beer pours a dark brown with a moderate tan head and smell of toasted coffee and light cocoa. It has a pronounced roasted coffee flavour with slightly sweet cocoa notes concluding with a subtle, well balanced, hop bitterness.

exeter (531) - calgary, Alberta, CANADA - MAR 7, 2014
What is this flavour at the start? I don’t know. Some milk flavour and corn sugar. I guess there is cocoa flavouring here and maybe dark fruits and a roasty something. Sucks

decaturstevo (6240) - decatur, Tennessee, USA - MAR 7, 2014
Brown black pour with tan head and lace. Aroma is light chocolate. Semi sweet chocolate flavor with a touch of roastiness. Light malt like bitter. Medium body and a tan fizzy and thin. ok though

woodychevy (874) - - MAR 5, 2014
Boatswain Chocolate Stout from TJ’s- as always their beer is great value but just average in every other way. This one seems to be marketed under many guises- one description read: "is there beer in my chocolate or chocolate in my beer". Super strong notes of chocolate on the nose and palate- some coffee and earthiness in there as well. Decently balanced with 66 IBU’s. Mouthfeel a bit thin for a stout- more porter like to me. Overall pretty drinkable- definitely an easier going stout than many I have had this winter. For 2.99 would buy again.

jbruner (4691) - Marietta, Georgia, USA - MAR 3, 2014
Boatswain chocolate stout from Trader Joe’s. Pours an opaque black from the bottle with bubbly tan head that leaves moderate lace. Aroma is dry lager yeast, almost Irish stout. Taste follows, hint of soy and smokiness, no real chocolate. Well worth the $2.29 a bomber, but not very good.

daknole (11044) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - MAR 2, 2014
Dark brown pour, brown head. Ashy, roasty, light chocolate, some bitterness. just average at best.

Chudwick (3180) - Taylor Mill, Kentucky, USA - FEB 27, 2014
purchased as Boatswain Chocolate Stout - alias of and alias, neato! Bomber (some markings o)n bottom, but means nothing to me) - I was in Trader Joe’s and handed my cell phone to my daughter (20months old) because she kept reaching for the jerky hanging next to the beers. Had I kept my phone, I would have looked this cheap ($2.49) product up and seen that it no longer meets my criteria for buying. Long story short, my daughter dropped the phone and cracked the back. We left shortly thereafter. This beer better be good. Nose is caramel and chocolate - the smell has the makings of adjunct products. 66 IBUs? yah about that, you know it’s probably, probably, not true. Chocolate and mildly roasted flavor, but with metallic notes. I would have preferred the chocolate bunny on my label. This is up there with Dieselpunk Stout.

sawbuck (724) - Round Lake, Illinois, USA - FEB 23, 2014
Sweet aroma of chocolate, coffee, and roasted malt. Pours pitch black with a brown frothy head. Mild bitter chocolate taste up front. Flavors are muted, filled with coffee and roasted malt notes. Finishes with an off bitterness.

mrossini (34) - - FEB 2, 2014
I have it as boatswain chocolate stout. This is a very smooth stout. If you are not yet a fan of dark beers, this is a great one to get started with!

Block (2688) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - JAN 26, 2014
Black pour with a fluffy brown head. Aroma is sweet and malty with chocolate and caramel notes. Flavor is similar with a light body. Smooth.
Earlier Rating: 9/4/2013 Total Score: 3
Labeled Boatswain Double Chocolate Stout. Black pour with a brown head. Very mild flavor. Aroma is sweet with chocolate. Flavor is also sweet with some chocolate and caramel. Very smooth. Went well with a breakfast meal.

HuskerTan (2168) - Ravenna, Nebraska, USA - JAN 23, 2014
Bottle. A- Cocoa, coffee, soy sauce, molasses. A- Black liquid, dark color, beige head. T- Soy sauce, chocolate, coffee. Slightly bitter. P- Medium body, thin texture, soft carbonation, dry finish. O- This was a bit of a letdown. Tones of cocoa and an odd soy sauce flavor. A poor chocolate stout.