overall
RATINGS: 321   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.08/5   IBU: 66   EST. CALORIES: 162   ABV: 5.4%

novajeepfreak (1) - Virginia, USA - JUL 8, 2012 does not count
I had this as a "Boatswain Chocolate Stout".....Aroma is chocolaty/coffee, not much head but that’s fine. I love dark beers so that’s the reason for my high appearance number. Black in color, head is caramel in color. Taste is sweet, I’d say medium. Light bitter finish. The body is medium with creamy texture, I would say average on the carbonation with a slightly bitter but not bad finish. I really enjoyed this beer. I got it a Trader Joe’s, price was right and I love dark beers so figured what the heck....I’ll be getting what they have in stock....

dwyerpg (6496) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - FEB 24, 2012
UPDATED: AUG 17, 2012 I found this to be a pretty solid beer. The flavor is good, plenty of consistent chocolate throughout. A decent thickness. Pleasantly surprised. Thanks Trader Joe’s! Had again under Underworld label. Still liked it a bit.

stuckinprague (43) - - SEP 14, 2012
Pours black with a nice frothy head. Head disappears into a fine cream. The aroma is chocolate, a little yeasty and doughy, a touch sour. Beer is a touch tangy with a frothy mouthfeel. Tastes of semi sweet chocolate surrounds this beer. A little light on body and carbonation compared to other stouts, but the rich flavors make this a taste beer.

jb (3449) - Rochester, New York, USA - FEB 4, 2013
Trader Joes Boatswain Chocolate Stout. Looks very attractive, like an imperial stout. Nose is sweet, roasted and full of chocolate. Taste is woody, roasted, a bit of smoke, toasted malt and chocolate. Really good.

SanfordBrewer (1610) - Sanford, Florida, USA - AUG 29, 2013
opaque brown with a tan head. creamy full body with medium-high carbonation.

aroma: chocolate, roast grain, carob, and toasted wood.

taste: astringent roasted barley, rubbery yeast phenols, chocolate.

geologyguy (1687) - Columbia, South Carolina, USA - MAY 13, 2017
the description actually nails this one "This beer pours a dark brown with a moderate tan head and smell of toasted coffee and light cocoa. It has a pronounced roasted coffee flavour with slightly sweet cocoa notes concluding with a subtle, well balanced, hop bitterness." smooth finish with only light bitterness...got from Juli at SWANA 2017 but drank later at home

Aquilo (659) - Berkeley, California, USA - DEC 8, 2011
UPDATED: JUL 13, 2013 Got this from Trader Joe’s under the name "Boatswain Chocolate Stout." Personally, I think "Chocolate Bunny Stout" is a much better name, but what do I know? Pours pitch black with a tan head. The head almost didn’t form; I had to pour vigorously just to get a little bit of head. Aroma is coffee, and a hint of bitter chocolate. Flavor is mildly bitter. Smooth mouth feel, but I like my stouts to be a bit thicker. Overall, this a very drinkable ale. I just wish it were a bit more chocolatey.

doublebock (558) - California, USA - JAN 7, 2012
Dark black with thick tan head. Roasted malt and coffee aroma. Heavy, creamy and filling body. Tastes like a fairly typical stout with espresso and tobacco. I’m not really picking up on any of the chocolate.

Quasimodo (217) - chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 8, 2012
Me likey the Chocolate Bunny Stout. Plenty of cocoa in the flavor with roasted malt and something sweet, maybe brown sugar. Hops are present in the finish but aren’t overpowering. Milk chocolate lingers after the hops fade.

Cybercat (6336) - Georgia, USA - JAN 3, 2013
Had as Boatswain Chocolate Stout. Comes out of the bottle a beautiful warm sable with a very thick and rather persistent tan head. Aroma has roast malt, chocolate and coffee notes with a hint of caramel. Smoky flavor builds on a roast malt core with coffee, semi-sweet chocolate and caramel plus a hint of horehound. Smooth, firm texture is quite fizzy and lively. Boatswain or bunny, it’s a good choice.