overall
RATINGS: 323   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.08/5   IBU: 66   EST. CALORIES: 162   ABV: 5.4%
This beer pours a dark brown with a moderate tan head and smell of toasted coffee and light cocoa. It has a pronounced roasted coffee flavour with slightly sweet cocoa notes concluding with a subtle, well balanced, hop bitterness.

SDalkoholic (2393) - Linda Vista, California, USA - MAR 19, 2013
Bottle from Fresh and Easy: Appeared a dark brownish tinted black liquid topped with a decent formation of foam head. What really surprised me about this stout was the aroma, it has so much character because of the rich dark malts used that bring about scents of fresh ground coffee bean and hints of chocolate. The flavor is less promising than my nose had led me to believe but it still does hold a mild blend of coffee bean while also allowing for a roasty flavor and a taste of sweetness as if I had added a shot of cream to my pint glass. The balance of the flavors is somewhat off but for only $2 for a bomber size bottle, I feel I shouldn’t be complaining or have such high expectations.

shadey (2135) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - MAY 2, 2013
Boatswain chocolate stout. 650ml bottle. I can smell the chocolate before even bringing the glass to my nose. Dark color. Aroma is roasty and dark chocolate. Almost a burnt flavor. Sharp carbonation.Different. Odd mix, but tastey.

Oscbert (1302) - Lincoln, California, USA - JUN 4, 2013
~Strong Milk chocolate aroma with carmel and bread. ~Pours black with quickly disappearing brown head ~Rich bready malt flavor with chocolate and light carmel throughout with roast and a sharp lasting bitterness. ~Medium bodied, medium high CO2, Roasty bitter finish. ~Good beer, really enjoyed the aroma. Could drink a few of these. The bottle I got I think was old as I got some papery notes.

Angelmonster (199) - Colorado, USA - JAN 11, 2015
Pours a nice two finger mocha colored head, body is pitch black. Head retention was above average, started dying halfway through, lacing was average. Smell is of bakers chocolate, chocolate malt powder, and sweet caramel malt. Hops and alcohol aren’t present. Taste is of chocolate malt, slight cocoa powder also. Sweetness was cut by a hint of burnt metallic coffee. Hops were muted and alcohol was very light. Mouthfeel was good for a light stout. Wish head contributed more to the body. Theres a slight chalky aftertaste. Overall this was a decent representation of the style but nothing outstanding. There was something that tasted off but i couldn’t pinpoint that thing. Glad I tried it but its far from the best in a crowded market.

blackmurder (236) - Whitaker, Oregon, USA - JUL 10, 2015
For the price you can’t do better. Seriously, I challenge you do find a better chocolate stout for $2.39 in the Pacific Northwest. Taste is very heavy on the chocolate, somewhat similar to Rogue’s offering, but honestly I like this one better. Carbonation is light, which is fitting for this beer. I didn’t bother to poor it, just swigged it right out the bomber. A fine beer for the price.

Skyview (6055) - Papoose Jct, Minnesota, USA - SEP 26, 2011
Picked up a single 22-oz bomber from the Monroe Beverage Mart in Monroe, Wisconsin. Pours an opaque dark brown colored brew with an average tan head that slowly dissipates and leaves some nice lacing. Aroma of roasted dark and chocolate malt, a hint of chocolate, floral hops, and a touch of toffee. Taste is medium bodied, average bitterness with flavors of chocolate malt, some light cocoa powder, and some toffee. Finish has some balanced malt and chocolate aftertaste with a mild bitterness that slowly disappears. A solid chocolate stout overall.

IrishBoy (4199) - Bakersfield, California, USA - NOV 23, 2011
Bomber (Boatswain Chocolate Stout) from Trader Joes Bakersfield. Nose is cocoa, coffee, roast, and hints of licorice. Black with a big, long lasting, heavy lacing, cinnamon tan head. Flavor is chocolate, coffee, and a hint of bitterness. Great stout for $1.99 a bomber.

patrick767 (4063) - fort wayne, Indiana, USA - MAY 16, 2012
bottle - Pours very dark brown with an aroma of roast malt and chocolate. The flavor has ample cocoa taste with good hops balance and a medium to full body. It’s not a great beer. For this type of beer I’d take a Young’s Double Chocolate first, but this beer is good and the best of the four Rhinelander beers I purchased.

matthewjk (1101) - San Diego, California, USA - JUN 19, 2012
Bomber from TJ’s - Not bad at all! I thought the finish was a little funky, and it reminded me of tropical fruit. sort of an odd hop selection, but solid beer, especially considering the value.

kliggerwar (155) - - JUL 25, 2012
UPDATED: AUG 8, 2012 A very tasty chocolate stout. Very soft and slick on the palate. Coffee taste with a slight coco bite, enjoy the softness and how easy it is going down. MMM.