overall
RATINGS: 233   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.97/5   IBU: 79   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%

beerbaaron (1998) - Arizona, USA - JAN 5, 2014
Bottle. Proper temp and glass. Pours mahogany, an impressive clear, ruby brownish. Medium to large creamy beige head fairly lasting. Aroma is minimal, dry; biscuity, a touch roasty, light fruity maybe a little herbal. Lighter medium body. Flavor is unusual I guess. Fairly strong bitterness. Dry earthy hoppy. Some sugary quality. Could use some refinement but much better than expected based on what I’ve seen here.

MarinEvelyn (854) - Wisconsin, USA - JAN 5, 2014
Sweet, biscut/buttery/crispy, light fruit aroma. A little roasty. Taste is much hoppier, fairly hoppy ending. Sweet, malty, but fairly bitter.

boozedude (2228) - Des Moines, Iowa, USA - JAN 4, 2014
Bomber from Trader Joe’s sold as Boatswain HLV - Pours clear brown with BIG off white head. Aroma and taste is caramel malt with some fruit, just ok, nothing special

Vballnbeer (158) - Gorham, Maine, USA - DEC 13, 2013
Purchased for $2.49 at Trader Joe’s under the Boatswain label, the H.L.V. Ale is the strongest of their beers. It has a dark copper color, a dirty looking head, and a sweet, malty aroma. The flavor is a heavy, alcohol, medicine taste with a little bitterness. I would place this third on the list of the three beers available at TJ’s behind the stout and IPA.

DialSquare (5062) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - DEC 10, 2013
Bomber from Trader Joe’s labeled Boatswain HLV. Deep brown pour with light tan head. Aroma is brown sugar, nutty, caramel. Tastes are same with dried fruit and a perfume vibe. Strange tinny/metallic bitterness. Not crazy sweet which turns me off many browns, but not very good overall.

Alextricity (509) - Michigan, USA - DEC 8, 2013
Labelled as "Heavy List Vessel [HLV]"... I was offered this for free. Offered this out of a bomber. Not sure of the price... no bottling date on the bottle either. Alrighty then. Poured into a shaker pint. Appearance: The highlight. I was told this was an IPA, but I figured that was wrong just by looking at it. This is a dark brown beer with a nice beige head on it. Lacing is really nice. Looks to have great clarity. The highlight of HLV, no doubt. Smell: Ugh. A mess, to be honest. Malts, stale (best way I can describe it) hops, and... soy sauce? Not God awful, but not exactly pleasant. Strange, to say the least. Taste/feel: Safe bet that this beer is insanely old, I think. I’m not sure of the date (like I said), but I don’t think I was drinking the same thing as others here... then again, maybe I was? I doubt it though. There’s virtually no balance. It has a weird, strong metallic sort of bitterness, with malts trying to balance it out -- but it doesn’t work. It’s a weird mesh of bitter and sweet, and it’s just not working right. The flavor itself isn’t very good either -- tragically unbalanced with a pretty strong presence of alcohol. I know that this is a "Strong Ale", but the alcohol is ridiculously prevalent here. The feel is medium... relatively thin. Not very carbonated. A third time -- I’m pretty confident this beer is well past its prime, though I’ll never know. Based on this experience, I wouldn’t want to try HLV again, but it’s probably not normally this unpleasant. I can see why I was offered to try some.

jtclockwork (16685) - , New Jersey, USA - NOV 29, 2013
Bottle. Pours dark brown with tan head. Nose and taste of maple sugar, birch sap, brown sugar, sweet tea, resin, sticky dark caramel and earth. Medium body.

solidfunk (9006) - Washington D.C., Washington DC, USA - NOV 22, 2013
Too much caramel here. Bit of a sugar bomb. Pours dark cloudy brown, with decent head and lacing. Soft carbonation, booze more than evident. Some oak vestiges but not a lot of things that come together well here. Unbalanced. Bottle.

Eberndt (235) - - NOV 14, 2013
22oz bottle from trader joes. Dark in color with a very persistent head and a creamy mouth fill.

PorterPounder (8066) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - NOV 1, 2013
Tallahassee, Fl - Trader Joe’s - 22 oz bomber - labeled as Boatswain H.L.V. (Heavy Lift Vessel) Ale. Pours a deep dark cola-like brown a thin but persistent eggshell white head. Aroma has some licorice accents, a touch of chocolate. Flavor has some odd sourness to it, a touch of bittersweet baker’s unsweetened chocolate, a touch of olive oil. Mouthfeel is thick enough. Something just not really right about this one.