overall
RATINGS: 244   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.63/5   IBU: 79   EST. CALORIES: 204   ABV: 6.8%
Fiercely hopped and hopped again, Thumper IPA keeps on going and going. Does it tantalize your tongue?

jmcgavin12's rating

jmcgavin12 (492) - Madison, USA - APR 20, 2013
Pours light tan with a bit of tan head. Canít quite smells the hops that I was expecting to. A bit of musty tangerine as well. Taste is pretty sweet and not too bitter. Overall tastes more akin to an amber ale than an American IPA. Its not a miserable beer but I think they got confused with what they wanted to brew.

muzzlehatch (4951) - Beloit, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 9, 2016
22 ounce bottle (labeled "Rhinelander Thumper IPA") picked up at Woodmanís in Beloit for the exorbitant price of $2.50 (yes thatís right) and consumed cold from the fridge in a Fitgerís pint glass. Pours an off-white smooth head that dies slowly leaving no sign of itís passing in the receptacle above the clear fine-bubbled amber body...aroma is resinous/piney and unfortunately a bit buttery (diacetyl), promising something sweet and gooey...on the tongue perhaps not quite as bad as I feared, but very sweet nonetheless, syrupy and near-cloying with not even close to enough bitterness or malt to balance out the pure sugariness; while it does dry out slightly at the finish, it remains a tough go and this bomber ainít gonna drink itself, and that was itís only chance to be consumed. I guess thereís a reason theyíre selling this line for about half the price of the next-cheapest bombers...I remember when I moved back here 3 years ago, I was excited to find that there was a Rhinelander brewery, the name has always had magic to me from childhood and young adulthood visits "up north". Well, so much for magic.

Ungstrup (37317) - Citizen of the universe, DENMARK - SEP 12, 2016
Bottled. A dark golden beer with a huge beige head. The aroma has notes of malt, caramel, elderflowers, and fruits. The flavor is sweet with notes of malt, caramel, flowers, and fruit, leading to a bitter finish.

kevinsenn (2182) - Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA - JUL 5, 2016
Bomber from Trader Joeís (only$2.50???). Soapy floral aroma. Soapy and fruity taste with a dry medium bitter finish. Good, not great, but the price is more than right!

Generalhabit (3) - - MAY 30, 2016 does not count
I always hate to say this but it's true. For the price, this is a great beer and it comes in a wine bottle. Buckle up partner. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

HighlanderOne (1317) - York, SC via NJ, South Carolina, USA - MAY 7, 2016
Poured from big bottle that I found hidden in my basement. (Boatswain American IPA ). Probably been sitting around for 2 or 3 years. Aroma of hops, caramel, malt. Appearance is cloudy dark Amber, bit of head. Tasting caramel, pancake, pine resin hops, cream, smoke, banana, spice. Palate is quite tame for something called IPA. Overall, a very tasty brew, just lacks the bitterness that an IPA should have. Would work better as a brown ale.

Bartzilla (622) - La Mesa, California, USA - JAN 28, 2016
$3 bomber at Trader Joeís, but itís called Boatswain American IPA. Again, let me reiterate... $3 bomber of IPA. An at 6.7% itís probably the best thing to happen to the homeless since St. Ides came to market back in the late 80ís. So, with this in mind, this turned out to be unremarkable, though not as bad as St. Ides. They also have a DIPA for the same price, but I knew I was already pushing the boundaries of taste and self loathing by getting this. That said, itís not awful and should I embark on hard times, this will be my sauce (or maybe the DIPA... you need milage for the buck when youíre down on your luck). Itís a lame IPA... thatís the depth of my review

coldbrewky (1730) - Hippetown East, New York, USA - OCT 21, 2015
This particular beer was provided by Buddy Alex for the dart tourney in which I particularly dominated. I have this fluid to thank. A decent IPA but it does not stand on the shoulders of giants. Thru Boatswain label via trader joeís. Mer. Body was a bit on the watery side.

milewide (2222) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - OCT 8, 2015
Labeled Boatswain American I.P.A. at Trader Joe"s. Much better than the ratings. Modest aroma, but taste was a fine blend of sweet malt and woodsy hop flavor. 6.7% ABV.

cheap (5797) - Beaver Valley, Beaver County, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 17, 2015
$3 bomber! This stuff so rude it borders on the double imperial old IPA taste. Cloudy iced tea color. Strong, medicinal. Alky begins to stick its ugly head up. Does have some minor cutting co2 in the background. Difficult, semi hard, strenuous, arduous, laborious, tough, onerous, burdensome, demanding, punishing, grueling, and nearly back-breaking, Good deal, thanks trader joe.

jrodooo5 (1643) - DOVER, Delaware, USA - SEP 11, 2015
Decent pour but another horrible offering from minhas! Pours copper w/ an off white head & lacing. The aroma is just a little malty. The taste is very odd & more similar to malt than hop. Fiercely hopped? Really? I donít get any hop flavor & Iím not sure if Iím going to b able to get these 22 ounces down! Ehhhh