overall

RATINGS: 810   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.65/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Dating back to 18th century England, the custom of blending pale and dark beers has kept the "Black & Tan" a favorite of experienced beer drinkers for centuries. Our famous recipe combines a robust English Porter with a fine Continental Pilsner, preserving the character of each, while creating the classic taste of the legendary "Black & Tan." In true American style, we bring you the best of both beers as they meet in Mississippi Mud.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
r464 (2354) - Earth, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 24, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 22, 2011 Nice smooth taste. Every so often I get the roasted porter kick and a hint of chocolate. Not bad.

Imbockinsxtx (82) - Big Bend (Benavides, TX), Texas, USA - MAR 16, 2004
A good brew. Nice colour, nice taste. I enjoy the appearance and flavour. A nice appetizer beer or dessert beer. Enjoy!

thehoff (598) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - MAR 12, 2004
Dark brown beer. Bubbly off white head. My wife says it smells like Budweiser. Kind of, it is a bit more malty. Slight chocolate taste with a really bad metallic (iron)flavor. There is some other odd flavor as well. Odd to say the least. Not my thing.

jde123 (775) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - MAR 5, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 27, 2005 I really like the bottle, genious marketing. The beer, while nectar-y and sweet, could use some improvement. This would definately be better classified as a porter. I cant say I didnt enjoy it though...

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
I.C.suds (189) - Da U.P. eh?, Michigan, USA - FEB 28, 2004
Cool bottle. Lagerey and watery . Cool bottle.Better than Miller. Cool bottle.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
beerguy101 (5360) - Newark, California, USA - FEB 18, 2004
Deep claret color. Medium white foamy head. Aroma is slightly malty and sweet. A light bodied Porter. Malts are caramel and sweet. Hops are slightly bitter. Tastes a little like a slightly flat coke with a dry finish. It not bad, Ive had a lot worse, but there really isnt anything to this beer. Mouthfeel is a little thin. Finish is clean and dry. Aftertaste is slightly bitter. I imagine that the bottle is a bigger attraction than the beer inside.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
BigBastard (668) - L.A., California, USA - FEB 17, 2004
Sure, I was suckered in by the bottle and the name too. Poured a fizzy cola brown. Tasted like fizzy, watered down Guinness. Not horrible, but not all that great.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
hershiser2 (2889) - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA - FEB 2, 2004
Nice bottle, yea, let me try one of those. Wow, this bottle's a keeper... ahhh. Oh it pours decent, nice look. Smell's OK, kinda riddled with roasted something. Tastes a bit thin and watery. Hmm, I expected more. I suppose it's drinkable. Buy one, at least so you have a nice looking bottle to add to your collection.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
hopscotch (11030) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - JAN 17, 2004
Sparkling clear, deep amber beer with burnt orange highlights. Huge, frothy, off-white head. Great retention with ink-blot lacework. The nose is soapy with lesser notes of chocolate, maple syrup and toffee. Malty, sweet flavor with hints of dates and cocoa. Astringent and moderately bitter. Light-bodied with a watery mouthfeel and soft carbonation. Short, sweet, then dry finish. Cool jug! Average beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
SpringsLicker (3606) - Tennessee, USA - JAN 17, 2004
Not the best black and tan out there and a long way from a Porter. I thought that the name implied something with some body to it and this was lacking. Very drinkable for those who haven't crossed into the realm of serious beers and I'm sure the neat bottle and label insure decent sales. Too mainstream for me.