overall

RATINGS: 776   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.66/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Dating back to 18th century England, the custom of blending pale and dark beers has kept the "Black & Tan" a favorite of experienced beer drinkers for centuries. Our famous recipe combines a robust English Porter with a fine Continental Pilsner, preserving the character of each, while creating the classic taste of the legendary "Black & Tan." In true American style, we bring you the best of both beers as they meet in Mississippi Mud.

pivo (2687) - GERMANY - APR 13, 2004
For some reason I was as put off by this beer as I expected to be. Maybe that is why I'm rating it higher than its average? Slightly woody ose, clear brown color, tall foamy head. Pours thin and has a thin body. Quick sweet body with a light syrup taste and some toasted malt. Slighlty dry and tangy at the end, but not bitter. OK balance.

Rockinout (966) - Kent, Ohio, USA - APR 13, 2004
Translucent brown color, very light bodied for a black and tan. Uninteresting and bland, cardboard aftertaste.

DocLock (10970) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 7, 2004
Very unique bottle. Light brown/black in color. Tastes of roastiness, malt, and hops. More watery than a porter, but still maltier and with a lot more body than a pils. Has some scotch ale qualities. Fairly complex and refreshing.

r464 (2362) - Earth, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 24, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 22, 2011 Nice smooth taste. Every so often I get the roasted porter kick and a hint of chocolate. Not bad.

Imbockinsxtx (82) - Big Bend (Benavides, TX), Texas, USA - MAR 16, 2004
A good brew. Nice colour, nice taste. I enjoy the appearance and flavour. A nice appetizer beer or dessert beer. Enjoy!

thehoff (598) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - MAR 12, 2004
Dark brown beer. Bubbly off white head. My wife says it smells like Budweiser. Kind of, it is a bit more malty. Slight chocolate taste with a really bad metallic (iron)flavor. There is some other odd flavor as well. Odd to say the least. Not my thing.

jde123 (775) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - MAR 5, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 27, 2005 I really like the bottle, genious marketing. The beer, while nectar-y and sweet, could use some improvement. This would definately be better classified as a porter. I can’t say I didn’t enjoy it though...

I.C.suds (189) - Da U.P. eh?, Michigan, USA - FEB 28, 2004
Cool bottle. Lagerey and watery . Cool bottle.Better than Miller. Cool bottle.

beerguy101 (5360) - Newark, California, USA - FEB 18, 2004
Deep claret color. Medium white foamy head. Aroma is slightly malty and sweet. A light bodied “Porter”. Malts are caramel and sweet. Hops are slightly bitter. Tastes a little like a slightly flat coke with a dry finish. It not bad, I’ve had a lot worse, but there really isn’t anything to this beer. Mouthfeel is a little thin. Finish is clean and dry. Aftertaste is slightly bitter. I imagine that the bottle is a bigger attraction than the beer inside.

BigBastard (668) - L.A., California, USA - FEB 17, 2004
Sure, I was suckered in by the bottle and the name too. Poured a fizzy cola brown. Tasted like fizzy, watered down Guinness. Not horrible, but not all that great.