overall

RATINGS: 773   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.66/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Dating back to 18th century England, the custom of blending pale and dark beers has kept the "Black & Tan" a favorite of experienced beer drinkers for centuries. Our famous recipe combines a robust English Porter with a fine Continental Pilsner, preserving the character of each, while creating the classic taste of the legendary "Black & Tan." In true American style, we bring you the best of both beers as they meet in Mississippi Mud.

argo0 (14127) - Washington DC, USA - MAY 1, 2002
First pre-made B&T I ever had, and given how it tasted, it was a while before I tried another. Highly carbonated. Not much flavor -- it’s relatively balanced between hops and malt, but somewhat watery. Bad sign that the bottle is the best thing about this beer.

naes66699 (18) - USA - APR 23, 2002
gnarly and i mean that in a bad way.........................................

tbookman (618) - Ephrata, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 19, 2002
The bottle is cool - the beer is average. Had kind of a weird aroma that I can’t quite get a handle on, but the flavor was decent. A run-of-the-mill black & tan

uhorpheus (215) - houston, Texas, USA - APR 19, 2002
A good premixed B&T, but nothing too impressive. For the price, I was satisfied but I’ve had better for less.

Aggie80 (818) - Michigan, USA - APR 9, 2002
I was reminded of this one when looking through my in-law’s beer can (and a few bottles!) collection the other day. I was leery of trying a pre-mixed Black and Tan, but had to go for it because of the bottle. Decent enough, it was more a novelty then something I would drink regularly. Good head and dark color, what I expected. A bit sweet and thick as one would expect.

maxhits (172) - Pico Rivera, California, USA - APR 8, 2002
(Black & Tan) The old-fashioned brown jug look is a hoot and the big mouth makes for convenient pouring. I love the 32 oz. size... the perfect bottle size. This dark, reddish-brown beer is a blend of porter and pilsener beers. It is high in carbonates. It is almost overly carbonated and the head does not sustain itself -- dissolving quickly in the glass. It is fizzy and acidic, a little sweet, and has a roasted and somewhat flowery caramel-and-chocolate nose. The flavor itself is nothing to rave over, in fact... this beer has little flavor at all.

1.1
twocycle99 (61) - Cherry Hill, New Jersey, USA - MAR 26, 2002
Really bitter with a very heavy after taste. This one needs to be passed on, one was enough

tapIluv99 (41) - Plano, Texas, USA - MAR 23, 2002
Pretty bitter...and a heavy after taste.....................................

beerdrinkingking (47) - Colorado, USA - MAR 13, 2002
you have to like drinking out of a jug and also the taste is rather pleasing

Skrip99 (82) - Los Angeles, California, USA - MAR 11, 2002
Ya gotta love the bottle, that’s for sure. Pretty good tasting stuff, a little thick but it is ’Mud’, isn’t it?