overall

RATINGS: 395   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.68/5   IBU: 40   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
Black House is an oatmeal coffee stout bursting with coffee aroma and flavor. Modern Times is one of the only breweries in the world to roast our own coffee, which allows us to be exceptionally picky about which coffees we use and how we roast them. The result is an abundantly flavorful beer thats incredibly complex and aromatic, with loads of roast character and a chocolate-covered espresso bean finish. But Black House packs all that flavor into a reasonable package: at only 5.8% ABV, it can comfortably be consumed by the pint.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
hoppist (1) - USA - DEC 6, 2013 does not count
Not a stout fan but this beer spoke to me as totally coffeelicious. Love the lighter weight which is something I dont like in most stouts. I know I know...not my thing but this beer would also be perfect for breakfast! A terrific lighter style stout.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
nathan30533 (1020) - Clifton, Ohio, USA - MAY 27, 2016
What a great beer. This one is almost the perfect brew. Coffee forward and let it set as its amazing on the palate. Aroma and taste is coffee and chocolate. Light and enjoyable.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
sungsays (7) - Los Angeles, California, USA - NOV 24, 2014 does not count
Coffee aroma smells amazing before 1st sip. Malt & chocolate are the dominant flavors. Creamy texture. My favorite oatmeal stout. Can't wait to try the rest of the Modern Times catalog.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
mantismb (7) - Costa Mesa, California, USA - AUG 7, 2014 does not count
This beer has become my go to drink. I havent found many that can come close to this dark and coffee stout smoothness. It pours very dark with a tan head. Toffee flavors and coffee sweetness that dont overpower the bark malt richness.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
thetmaxx (905) - West Sacramento, California, USA - FEB 13, 2016
Poured from the can into a pint glass. Nice frothy head. Aroma is pleasant of coffee, chocolate and roasted barley. Very delicious. The coffee is so well balanced! I loved it!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Cybercat (5400) - Georgia, USA - JUN 28, 2016
Taps warm coffee brown with a thick and fine bubbled cinnamon-tan head. Aroma delivers strong quality coffee, roast malt, chocolate and molasses tones, just a little sweet. Flavor presents rich mocha, molasses, roast malt, and subtle toffee and smoky tones. Firm body has good fizz and a lip-smacking mocha finish. Head to the Black House!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
want1DIPA (227) - - MAR 31, 2014
Super fresh and very tasty with traces of chocolate and tobacco smoke. Hopefully that make it imperial barrel aged.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
PugUglyBrewer (386) - - NOV 12, 2016
I wasnt quite sure if this was a can of cold brew coffee or beer, which is a good thing in my opinion. Black House has a delicious medium roast coffee aroma and flavor. mellow caramel and smooth oatmeal infuunces inbetween.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
MetalNHopHead (1697) - Lincoln, Nebraska, USA - DEC 17, 2016
My concerns about Black House being overrated proved to be unnecessary. Black House is a beautifully rich, creamy coffee-infused Stout with tons of coffee boldness and some balancing sweetness. Bitter, earthy espresso-like coffee, cream, and chocolate in the flavor profile. Velvety texture with some brightness coming from the roasted beans. As one of the core beers in the MT lineup, it absolutely delivers.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
ffbot (384) - Oakland, California, USA - SEP 2, 2015
This is too good to be served in tall boy cans. That was my first thought at tasting this. This is the beer where, if you were a kid and you tried this youd wonder what the hell was wrong with adults, how they could drink this. This stuff is levels of intense-ness. Aroma is deep coffee, earth, yet citrus and grass linger too. Taste is the same, huge, HUGE bitter and dry aftertaste, caramel, chocolate, coffee, nuts, toast, leather, woody, its all represented here. I drank it from the can but next time its going in a glass so I can see it.