overall

RATINGS: 446   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.7/5   IBU: 40   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
Black House is an oatmeal coffee stout bursting with coffee aroma and flavor. Modern Times is one of the only breweries in the world to roast our own coffee, which allows us to be exceptionally picky about which coffees we use and how we roast them. The result is an abundantly flavorful beer that’s incredibly complex and aromatic, with loads of roast character and a chocolate-covered espresso bean finish. But Black House packs all that flavor into a reasonable package: at only 5.8% ABV, it can comfortably be consumed by the pint.

hoppist (1) - USA - DEC 6, 2013 does not count
Not a stout fan but this beer spoke to me as totally coffeelicious. Love the lighter weight which is something I don’t like in most stouts. I know I know...not my thing but this beer would also be perfect for breakfast! A terrific lighter style stout.

nathan30533 (1020) - Clifton, Ohio, USA - MAY 27, 2016
What a great beer. This one is almost the perfect brew. Coffee forward and let it set as its amazing on the palate. Aroma and taste is coffee and chocolate. Light and enjoyable.

sungsays (7) - Los Angeles, California, USA - NOV 24, 2014 does not count
Coffee aroma smells amazing before 1st sip. Malt & chocolate are the dominant flavors. Creamy texture. My favorite oatmeal stout. Can't wait to try the rest of the Modern Times catalog.

devinejp (11) - - AUG 29, 2017
UPDATED: AUG 29, 2017 Very easy to drink for a dark toasty coffee stout. Refreshing and Carmel on the back end.

mantismb (7) - Costa Mesa, California, USA - AUG 7, 2014 does not count
This beer has become my go to drink. I havent found many that can come close to this dark and coffee stout smoothness. It pours very dark with a tan head. Toffee flavors and coffee sweetness that dont overpower the bark malt richness.

thetmaxx (917) - West Sacramento, California, USA - FEB 13, 2016
Poured from the can into a pint glass. Nice frothy head. Aroma is pleasant of coffee, chocolate and roasted barley. Very delicious. The coffee is so well balanced! I loved it!

Cybercat (5964) - Georgia, USA - JUN 28, 2016
Taps warm coffee brown with a thick and fine bubbled cinnamon-tan head. Aroma delivers strong quality coffee, roast malt, chocolate and molasses tones, just a little sweet. Flavor presents rich mocha, molasses, roast malt, and subtle toffee and smoky tones. Firm body has good fizz and a lip-smacking mocha finish. Head to the Black House!

zacgillbanks (5362) - Tyne & Wear, ENGLAND - MAR 24, 2017
Can from Coppers, Newcastle. Very dark brown-black with a thin tan head. It has a rich floral coffee, liquorice, chocolate and herbal flavour followed by vanilla, oak and milk chocolate on the coffee finish. Excellent!

want1DIPA (227) - - MAR 31, 2014
Super fresh and very tasty with traces of chocolate and tobacco smoke. Hopefully that make it imperial barrel aged.