overall
RATINGS: 260   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.65/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
A very dark yet surprisingly light-bodied Lager beer, crisp and refreshing with no heaviness.

BilgeRat415 (11) - - MAR 1, 2012
Dark, delicious, and very drinkable. The low ABV makes it, by far, my favorite beer to session.

forkwhy (1) - - MAR 16, 2014 does not count
Pours pitch black with a brown head. Smell is very roasty chocolate coffee with smoke, not to be confused with smoke in a smoked beer. Mouthfeel is nice and light like what you would expect from a clean lager or as clean as you can get with this style of beer. Although I would say technically this is a schwartzbier I would rather call it an American black lager. The flavor profile is way more intense than a german black beer, tastes just like it smells. To me this is my go to beer in the Bay Area.

mirvine8309 (6) - Sonoma, California, USA - JUL 6, 2016 does not count
Hands down my favorite beer. Dark, rich, and complex yet light and very drinkable.

Jettanomyces (5) - - JUL 23, 2016 does not count
Lagers are not generally my go to. I am obsessed with this beer. Basically the law of diminishing returns, doesnt apply to this beer. Every sip is as fantastic as the first. I get hints of a sweet creamy peanut butter, mixed with chocolate.

dhunter151 (590) - Santa Rosa, California, USA - JAN 26, 2013
One of my favorites. Coffee and chocolate notes. The coffee is more prominent though. Dry finish. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

joet (2604) - Wilsonville, Oregon, USA - AUG 24, 2001
UPDATED: FEB 17, 2014 This is a richly complex beer, tried on a lark on tap at Amnesia SF. The aroma hit and immediately rang 9-plus. Tobacco, roasty malts, burnt paper, like a pencil burning in a speeding pencil sharpener. The color is black as pitch. Dry light body with Mom’s Folger’s coffee flavors, minerals, and well integrated bitter. A very smooth, easy roast (near smoke) finish. Would be excellent late night with a cigar. This is a great beer!

rmalloy (199) - los angeles, California, USA - JUL 26, 2002
Deep dark color and dark flavors like espresso and cocoa. Perfect sweetness and strength. Delightful.

svastuber (4) - ITALY - JUN 18, 2015 does not count
In tap at Toronado SF. Black but light is alcohol and taste. At the beginning there are favors of tabacco and coffee. You immediately tell it is lighter and easy to drink for being such a dark beer. Brewed by one guy who is also delivering the beer, great local SF beer. Recommend tasting if given the chance!

TylerTapRoom (2) - California, USA - JAN 22, 2011 does not count
toast, roasty, black, tan foam, lightly bitter, light body, coffee, chocolate. I love this beer. Death and taxes had become one of my favorite beers.

HonusWagner (2168) - Florida, USA - MAR 22, 2011
UPDATED: MAY 8, 2011 This has got to be the pinnacle of its style, if not quite the pinnacle of all American brewing. Ridiculously roasted/charred/blackened. Coffee. Dark, dark, dark bitter chocolate. Hilarious that this made it to Mikkeller bar and I’ve never even seen their beer outside of Toronado SF.