overall
Brewed by Moor
Style: Black IPA
Bristol, England

RATINGS: 261   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.65/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
Style: Black Ale Draught ABV: 4.7% Illusion is our latest creation, which is inspired by the awesome new beer style created in the States known as Imperial Black Ale. We really admire the profile of this new style but wanted a session strength version. We brewed ours at 4.5% instead of the typical 8%+, but wanted to retain the unique flavour profile. We sourced the special malt required from Germany and the hops from America to create a beer of stunning depth and complexity. The beer is black in appearance but lacks the acrid flavours associated with all other dark beers. This is achieved through use of the special German malt. The hop aromas and flavours are very intense, which we achieve through a major dose of dry-hopping in the cask. The result is a beer that wraps all the wonderful hop profiles of a pale ale inside a silky black exterior. It is truly an Illusion that deceives your eyes and dazzles your taste buds. Due to the rare nature of these special ingredients it is a limited release beer, but we are looking at making it more regularly available if possible.

spiffero (49) - Camelford, Cornwall, ENGLAND - FEB 2, 2018
A rather dull drink, this, for me. Pours jet brown, with a 1.5cm head and citrusy hops on the nose, fending off malt and yeast hints. The taste is well blended, but in a way that neutralises both hops and malts, as far at least as my tastebuds are concerned. It does taste hoppy, but only in a dull way, not in that crisp way I associate with IPAs. The mouthfeel is stout and sludgy, like drinking dirtwater, except with a sour edge. Any bitter coffee tones are those of Nescafé gone cold. In the aftertaste the hops bitterness tasted like that of dandelions, which was not much fun. I enjoyed Moor Stout but not this.

Holmen1 (6740) - Stavanger, NORWAY - JAN 23, 2018
0,33 boks på sesongstart Mi2, Cardinal jan-18: brunsvart med flott skum som varer. Citrusbitterhet som jeg ikke finner tiltalende sammen med noe kaffesyrlighet (utgått på dato?). Bruser for mye.

Holmen2 (4388) - NORWAY - JAN 15, 2018
Shared can at Mi2 at Cardinal 15.01.18. Very dark brown. Pale brown head. American hops, lemon, lime grapefruit, coffee and roasted malt in aroma and taste. Fizzy mouthfeel.

Kavu (5307) - Helsinki, FINLAND - JAN 6, 2018
0,33l can from K-Citymarket Ruoholahti. Pours very dark brown with a medium off-white head. Aroma roasted malts and ashtray. Flavor is dry roasted malts, coffee, ashtray, hops. Good.

greenmanalishi (568) - Leicestershire, ENGLAND - DEC 21, 2017
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

nilsas (4774) - Bryne, NORWAY - DEC 17, 2017
Moor Illusion Black IPA 747414
Lukt: Citrus, kaffe, honning. Utseende: Sort. Skum/kullsyre: Tynt skum, heng langs kant. Smak: Kaffe, citrus og honning. Hvor: Kjø[email protected], Bryne, [email protected] Medium: [email protected], [email protected],5%, Nå[email protected]

SilkTork (5945) - Southampton, United Kingdom, Hampshire, ENGLAND - DEC 6, 2017
330ml can (why are these craft beer can always so bloody small?), filtered, from my Honest Brew advent calender. Day 6. It's a dark beer. Quite roasted at first, but that settles down. Some hops in there, but not too many. Quite likeable. A little buzz from the hops starts making itself felt on my lips, but not too much. It's OK. I'm not generally in favour of the idea of strong citric hops in a dark roasty beer - a bit like mixing tea and coffee, but this is drinkable.

letsdrinkthisbeer (2) - Bedfordshire, ENGLAND - DEC 4, 2017 does not count
Taken from my blog at letsdrinkthisbeer.wordpress.com It’s 2017 and the concept of gender has never been so hotly debated in any time in history more than it has now. Transgenderism, gender fluidity and all the none binary stops on the gender spectrum are now at least acknowledged if not totally understood by most young people in our society. But for many, including myself, there is still a lot of value put into traditional gender roles and, as a young man of thirty, I still place a lot of importance on my own masculinity. Sue me, right? This is however, why I have never drank a Black IPA. I have been to my fair share of trendy bars and micropubs that stock a wide variety of ales, and I have never been able to shake the feeling that the bar tender is secretly judging my every reaction to the ale I have ordered. They just have this look when I order a porter or a DIPA that seems to ask Are you sure that’s your kind of beer, son? And then they watch. I sip, I nod, he knows I’m man enough to handle it and he goes back to bar tending. Black IPAs however have always seemed just out of reach for me. Imagine the shame of taking a sip under the watchful eye of a barman with decades of hard drinking under his size XL belt, only to recoil at the strong flavour punch of a black IPA. I’d be laughed out of the pub, out of the town, out of manhood in its entirety. Day three of my Honestbrew beer advent calendar offered me the chance to try one in the safety of my own home away from watchful eyes and I am incredibly glad that they did. I’m not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn’t this. There’s a roasted, almost burned flavour that hits first which did cause some recoil, however this is instantly followed up by an overwhelming curiosity to take another drink. This is extraordinary. The Moor Beer Company (whose tagline is “Drink Moor beer” by the way, which is all kinds of clever) have made this from such hard to source ingredients that Illusion is on a very limited run and so I urge you to try it before its gone. It’s at the same time woody and dry hopped, dark and roasted and bitter and stylish. If you ever needed a beer to confirm your place on the masculinity spectrum then this is the one for you as it quickly and efficiently separates the men from the boys. I feel like this one would be an acquired taste for most, however I also feel that the taste would be quickly acquired by those who are willing to give it a go.

Faberanza (18) - Torino, ITALY - NOV 14, 2017
UPDATED: NOV 14, 2017 Black Ipa dal colore nero impenetrabile con riflessi rosso scuro. Schiuma piuttosto persistente e compatta. al naso saltano fuori aromi più citrici che maltati, mentre al palato il gusto del malto tostato è piu presente con sapori erbacei e di caffé e il classico retrogusto amaro luppolato. Carbonazione non eccessiva e corpo bassino che ne facilita la bevuta insieme a una gradazione alcolica bassa che tra gusti, corpo e carbonazione non si fa praticamente sentire. Birra ben riuscita fatta apposta per farsi bere facilmente, la valutazione non puo non essere positiva

Betta (43) - ITALY - NOV 2, 2017
naso pochi sentori di tostato. Black ipa dal palato liscissimo, bollicine molto molto piccole e per niente aggressive. Estetica 10 e lode, bella schiuma odorosa. 4,5° si beve in scioltezza. Poca personalità