overall
RATINGS: 873   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.8/5   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
Our Moylander Double IPA is fat and resiny, with aggressive and excessive hops swinging on an enormous malt backbone like naughty monkeys on a vine. Double malt, double hops - do the math, it's academic.

Drew (2470) - Kent, Ohio, USA - OCT 12, 2003
Dark reddish/amber, excellent head and sheets of lacing. This had a super thick palate - they put plent of sweet malts in this to balance the hop. Hops are strong, but not overpowering, fruity and resiny; leaves a very long lingering bitterness - I liked that a lot. Overall, this is one thick and chewy monster of a beer. Doesn't seem to mix well with other beers in a session. I made sure to try this by itself when I rated it - much better taste experience.

kujo9 (1095) - North Ridgeville, Ohio, USA - OCT 10, 2003
Thick, syrupy, hazy copper w/ no head retention, but decent lacing of off white foam. Herbal and lemony citrus hop aroma w/ some woody hints and caramel malt and fruitiness; also had very small hints of roast. Flavor is bitter throuhgout, but had a great malt backbone to counter bitterness. The caramel flavor is dominated by the herbal hop flavor and bitterness which lingers into the finish. There are also some fruity notes. It's lightly astringent w/a fuller body and low carbonation; pleasant warming alcohol. This one is not as citrusy as most other 2X IPA's, and it also seems to be more well balanced toward bitter than most which an IPA should.

redlem (1306) - Ohio, USA - OCT 6, 2003
A very red color, the color of cherry wood. A sweet pine aroma with some citrus( grapefruit) A big malt backbone to support all the hop aroma. Resin is the first adjective when describing the taste, aroma, and mouthfeel of this beer. As it is thick and sticky. However a lot of the hop stickiness is to the malts, as this is very balanced in the 3 senses. Smooth and strong.

notalush (5922) - Lakewood, Colorado, USA - OCT 5, 2003
Burnt orange color with sticky white lacing - explosive aroma of citrus, pine, hops and slight sweetness - heavy malty flavor up front(caramel mostly) - really chewy throughout - hops gradually swell up from underneath the malts, finally becoming dominant in the finish, along with a heavy grapefruit flavor - extremely well-balanced, complex progression of flavors - a full-body experience of a beer.

Silphium (3198) - Traverse City, Michigan, USA - OCT 5, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 4, 2003 Is this an Arrogant Bastard clone? Grapefruit, grapefruit, and more grapefruit. And a bit of pine, just for your sipping pleasure. Copper body with plenty of "floaties." The hops really do dominate the malt backbone, and this beer doesn't present anything I haven't tried before.

Braudog (6835) - Yorktown, Virginia, USA - OCT 2, 2003
Orange beer with a burst of aroma. This may be the hoppiest beer I've ever had. It may have crossed that line. True hops chewers only.

guzzler67 (1696) - Hanover, Maryland, USA - SEP 30, 2003
Dark amber appearance with an average size head. Hopped up aroma with hints of pine and citrus. Dominant hop taste did have a decent amount of malt balance that leveled out the flavor a bit. Moderately bitter finish.

MAP (1133) - Lakewood, Ohio, USA - SEP 27, 2003
I quality IPA if there ever was one. I would tend to disagree with the double part, but it's still good nonetheless. Strong citrus smell and flavor, grapefruit is the keynote there. Palate is smooth and silky with a solid hoppy finish. The whole beer overall is a little to thin, which is its only downside in my eyes.

Ubiquibeer (140) - Cleveland, USA - SEP 27, 2003
Pours a dark, darker than expected, amber color with a nice small, dense head. Not much carbonation. Aroma sweet malt, hoppy, and I can smell some alcohol in the aroma...that would be a mark against the beer...let me try again...yes, I smell alcohol. Taste, I was expecting something akin to dreadnaught, but this is completely different. Very malty, sweet, roasted, bitter. Reminds me a little of Stone's arrogant bastard, or maybe even Rogue's Dead Guy Ale. More complex than dreadnaught, Ruination, and DFH 90, but not necessarily in a good way. I would characterize this as an American strong more than an imperial/double IPA, but what the hell do I know? Overall a tasty ale, but not one that I would probably go for again, whereas I buy Dreadnaught every chance I get. UPDATE: I have to agree with many raters here--this ale is very sweet and cloying. The warmer it gets and the more I drink the more I taste it. This is NOT a session beer.

JasonG (776) - Salt Lake City, Utah, USA - SEP 27, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 2, 2006 Unusually dark in color for an IPA: a ruddy red/brown with a medium sized off white head; slightly cloudy. Aroma has notes of sharp citrusy american hops (colombus?), some malty sweetness, a touch of lemon, and a faint metallic hint in the background. Flavor is mildly hoppy, bitter thoughout, somewhat dry, acidic finish. It’s good, but I wouldn’t run out for another either.