overall
RATINGS: 30   MEAN: 3.45/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.39/5   SEASONAL: Autumn   IBU: 54   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
This beer pays homage to the harvest as a full bodied and well balanced ESB that delivers a distinct and memorable dry hop finish.

nuplastikk (6256) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - SEP 13, 2013
12oz bottle. This is really what I like to see in a seasonal beer; someone breaking the mold but still remaining sensible and true to the spirit. Bigger and bolder than the bottle would suggest. Big, rich,malt tones with a pleasant, earthy, fruity, hop balance. Big, full bodied beer for the style, with a nice

cheap (5857) - Beaver Valley, Beaver County, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 11, 2012
So, practically everything I’ve had from this brewer has been over the top on style. Let me try this. And, this is no different; it is ipa like right from the start. Strong initial impact. However, I must comment that I did not even think it was 8%, more like a sixer to me. A little sweet and cloying but not to the extreme. Aroma of mild body odor. Could have a few more manners, but what the heck, I’m catching a little buzz near the end of this bottle. Yes, ipa like in many respects. BTW, is it possible for a bitter to approach 8%? Must be in the wrong style.

jsquire (4489) - St. Marys, Ohio, USA - NOV 19, 2010
Reddish amber color out of the bottle with a thin, foamy beige head that left some lacing. Almost a flinty hop nose with some earth and grass. Fresh floral and earthy hop flavors with some chalk. Grapefruit finish.

rondphoto (4445) - Lakeside Park, Kentucky, USA - OCT 27, 2011
Good looking - medium golden amber with a generous head and lacing. Taste surprises: the normal harvest caramel malt and light spice are all there, but through the palate there is a clean balancing hop bitterness. Nice difference from traditional harvest ales.

LilBeerDoctor (3930) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 11, 2011
Bottle. Pours a clear burnt orange with a thick white head. Aroma of pale malts, super caramel malts, floral hops. Flavor again of tons of caramel, some toffee, bitter hops, and a touch of floral notes. Lots and lots of caramel. This is quite good! Maybe could have a more hoppy flavor, but that’s just being nitpicky. Very easy drinking. 8/4/7/4/14 [3.7/5]

shigadeyo (3739) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - AUG 28, 2013

8/26/2013: Mt. Carmel Harvest Ale - I originally had this in a bottle a couple weekends ago at a friend’s party and liked it. It really reminded me of a decently hopped ESB, similar to Goose Island Honker’s Ale. Bases on the one bottle I had previously, I decided to try a pint of it with dinner. Although it is still decent, I found it to be lacking body and the depth of flavor that I thought it had from the bottle. On tap, the beer had an okay toasted maltiness (reminds me of dried leaves), tea, and some light earhty-floral hoppiness, but it seemed a bit thin and had a mineral/hard water charasteristic to it that just didn’t work. I’m surprised that this ABV listed on this beer is 8% as the alcohol is nowhere to be found in the flavor. Even so, that’s way too much alcohol for an ESB. Overall, I’d rather have a Honker’s Ale. Sorry Mt. Caramel, but this one just isn’t that unique or great, although it does have a nice amber color.

Draught (pint) at Arthur’s in Cincinnati, Ohio. Rating #21 for this beer.

Capa (3295) - Kitsap, Washington, USA - JAN 2, 2012
Deep caramel color with a large head. Aroma has nice loyal hop aroma, earth, malt. Medium bodied. Flavor has a nice earthy spice, light floral, light citrus, fruit, and a big of toast. Very nice.

Chudwick (3207) - Taylor Mill, Kentucky, USA - OCT 23, 2011
Bottle in a small lager glass - Pours hazy caramel with off white head and leaves some lacing. Aroma is hops and caramel malts. Sweet and bitter. Starts bitter, then sweet and ends bitter. Not what I expected and hoppier than I like.

danielcurtis81 (1519) - San Diego, California, USA - NOV 22, 2011
Served from a 12 oz bottle thanks to Craig. The appearance is a clear golden amber hue. The aromas are sweet malts, caramel, and a nice moderate hop aroma.The flavors follow suit with a nice caramel, moderate estery hops, all with a pleasant bitterness. Well carbonated mouth very refreshing and drinkable. Nicely done.

matthewjk (1101) - San Diego, California, USA - DEC 18, 2011
poured from 12oz bottle to glass - Well, this complicated matters a little. I was ready to write off Mt. Carmel as a terrible experiment and then I crack this one open. I think it is an IPA, but call it what you will--it’s pretty damn good! Excellent nose, with serious hops to bust your ass. Really nice finish.