overall
Brewed by Heineken Ireland
Style: Dry Stout
Cork, Ireland

RATINGS: 1907   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.29/5   EST. CALORIES: 120   ABV: 4%
Pasteurised in cans and kegs, with nitrogen. As of late 2012, the 4.3% bottled version had been discontinued.
Has also been brewed in the UK under contract at InBev Magor and latterly at Heineken’s John Smith’s site in Tadcaster plant and at Monteiths in New Zealand.
Ingredients: Pale and chocolate malts; roasted barley; Target hops.

badgerben (5379) - Blaine, Minnesota, USA - MAR 17, 2004
Pure black color. Nothing for aroma. Flavor is good roasted malt and slight bits of coffee and chocolate. Nothing outrageously special, but a little more taste than Guinness.

invalid (302) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - MAR 17, 2004
Not much nose, a hint of roastedness. Creamy everlasting head. Jet black body. More flavor in my opinion than Guinness.

TheDean (786) - MIlwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 17, 2004
Wow, I thought I had rated this beer before, but I guess I haven't. What better day to rate it then on St Patrick's day after drinking for 10 hours (and it's not even 4pm...gawd bless Milwaukee). Good beer.

unclebleen (620) - California, USA - MAR 15, 2004
From a widget can. Pours a dark brown color with a nice creamy head that is tan. Aroma is roasted malt and pleasantly sweet. Dry finish with a nice mouthfeel. I was surprised with how much I liked this.

shadow (12) - Oakford, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 13, 2004
Well I gotta start somewhere and this beer was it. First encounter though with one of those widgets. Advice to other newbies: don't toast a friend and clank your bottles together immediately after opening or your aroma, flavor and palate will be on the floor like ours. Otherwise a very good stout.

matta (1140) - Tampa, Florida, USA - MAR 11, 2004
Nitro Can – When I opened the can, my stupid ass let the Nitro widget explode all over my girlfriends parents living room…… yeah… I felt like a Mongoloid! The beer had a nice thick luscious body, like a chocolate whipping cream. Large notes of mocha, and some very dry coffee additions and finish as well. Pretty lactic and sweet beginning but a dry and sharp chocolate coffee finish…. A toasty bit of smoky kilned malts as well. A good stout, I’m sure I’ll be having it again….. as I have been drinking this beer off and on for years now.

RaginCajun (320) - Houston, Texas, USA - MAR 9, 2004
A very good stout. I think this is actually a better beer than Guinness. Extremely smooth tasting with nice head and lacing. Nothing wrong with this, but nothing outstanding. Just a solid beer.

chriso (7536) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - MAR 7, 2004
No longer Irish brewed (at least for those of us in the UK). I find this rather sweeter and softer than its main competitors, and a little lacking in character. Keg, Western Arms, Ladbroke Grove, London.

SDbruboy (1863) - San Diego, California, USA - MAR 6, 2004
Pub draught can (what the heck exactly is a 'widget' and why do I want one in my beer???) producing the typical nitro widget induced uber-creamy head. Pours used oil black, with the tan foam mentioned above, which not surprisingly leaves great lacing. Aroma is sweet, milk laden dark roast coffee notes with a bit of floral hoppiness. Flavor is roasted malts with a toast and bitter finish. Disturbingly watery and flat for a black, opaque beer. Yup, it's a macro, isn't it? I'll take it over most fizzy yellow lagers, but just barely...

btwhite7 (37) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - MAR 2, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 18, 2004 Widget can. Beautiful dark pour with adequate head. Faint aroma, but pleasant. Coffee/hops dominant. Head is thick, creamy and VERY dense. Most impressive. Carbonation a little flat, but the head gives it an amzing creaminess. Nice coffee/choco flavor with a slight heaviness on the hops. Sightly bitter aftertaste, but tolerable.