overall
Brewed by The Mussel Inn
Style: Spice/Herb/Vegetable
Onekaka, New Zealand

RATINGS: 52   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.32/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
A red brown beer flavoured with the freshly picked tips of the Manuka tree. A very distinctive beer with proven medicinal qualities. The only one out of 240 New Zealand beers to rate 10 out of 10 in Keith Stewarts book ’The complete guide to New Zealand Beer’. Also featured in ’Best - a New Zealand compendium’. Compiled by Ella Griffiths, published by Awa Press. Also available on tap at Hopgood’s in Trafalgar St. Nelson, The Abbey at Appleby and Jester House in Tasman.

lisagirl (264) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - SEP 8, 2013
UPDATED: OCT 19, 2013 mild grassy bitterness, even milder honey. it’s okay, but a bit bland really.

Travlr (25500) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - AUG 9, 2013
Draft at Fork and Brewer. Clear deep amber color, off white head. Aroma of perfumy pine. Taste is herbal pine and creme brulee. Really interesting. And I’m glad I won’t get scurvy today.

Rangi (672) - NEW ZEALAND - JUN 27, 2013
Nice clear amber poor. Nice cabonation and head. Aroma is of Manuka with plenty coming through in the flavor. Great beer for showcasing that flavour of Manuka but not much else going on. Slighly lemonady I felt. Well done beverage that I enjoyed.

DylansDad (650) - North Shore, Auckland, NEW ZEALAND - MAY 3, 2013
Much sweeter in aroma and taste than I was expecting. Very rose like, then thick clouds of caramel roll in.The manuka is well done and balanced by the other components, it is most noticeable as an airy and resiny high-note in the after taste. My bottle may or may not have been a bit oxidised, but it felt a little empty in the middle.

Cantabrian (1151) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - FEB 23, 2013
Too pungent. The resinous f;avour is too strong. Perhaps I should not have taken it, but I’ve had herbal/spice ales that I liked. I’m sure it’s got great medicinal properties though. The old knowledge...life expectancy in the time of shamans must have been through the thatched roof.

Beersiveknown (5301) - NORTHERN IRELAND - JAN 26, 2013
[email protected] The White House, Wellington
Herbal green tea and honey nose with smooth body, fairly thick mouth feel with oatcakes and honey. Mid brown with slight white head.An interesting beer that drinks well.

Pdubyah (759) - Auckland, NEW ZEALAND - OCT 18, 2012
There is something just a little odd about his, not unpleasing odd, but something that might make you frown. I thought about candy floss, or turkish delight or even rose water when I was drinking this, not in itself unpleasant. As to it’s proven medicinal attributes.... Look hey if you brought me a 6 pack over I’d admire you and we’d chew the fat, but there are thicker and longer beers than this, not that this is thin, it’s just not a stayer, and barely a starter. I think you’d tire of the roses pretty smartish, I’ve got the end of this and I’m glad it was 330ml and not 500ml.

deusax (459) - Grenoble, FRANCE - MAY 3, 2012
Bottled from South City New World, Christchurch, NZ. Nice sweet aroma. Amber colour, with tiny head. Cann’t put a word on the flavour, but it’s full, sweet, really enjoyable. Medium bitterness.

Wombata (625) - Kobe, JAPAN - APR 13, 2012
Bottle. Aroma: Earthy, Manuka honey, pear, roasted grain, white flower blossoms. Subtle. Not explosively aromatic like the APAs etc. that feature NZ hops. Palate: Medium bodied. Flavor: Roasted malt, softened by Manuka honey-like flavor and Manuka tea. Orange, and a lingering dry Manuka on the finish. Comments: Smooth, medium-full mouth feel without being heavy. Well-made, though hop heads beware. This succeeds in featuring the Manuka aromas and flavors and any more hopping would over power this character. In this it successfully achieves its goal.

Ingevara (910) - SWEDEN - JAN 23, 2012
Dark red, average head. An alternative spicing with the bitter manuka leaves gives it a different, and refreshing, bitterness, very appealing after too many bland NZ lagers. Slightly sweet resin, a hint of green tea, red winde and caramel. I only had one bottle, but I could have used more.