RATINGS: 490   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.15/5   EST. CALORIES: 171   ABV: 5.7%
Affiliated with the Nectar Ales experience through shared origins at Humboldt Brewing Company, Hemp Ale is a one-of-a-kind brew that boasts an incredibly rich profile and unique herb-accented flavor that is attributable to the incorporation of hemp seeds into the brewing process. A wonderful brown ale full of complexity Hemp Ale is great with food or by itself. American hops create a perfect balance to the darker malts used in this brew. This brown ale is the Gold Medal winner for first place in its category at both the 1999 and 2000 California State Fair Craft Brewing Competitions.

ChadPolenz (1844) - Lakeland, Florida, USA - FEB 9, 2016
UPDATED: FEB 17, 2016 BJCP CATEGORY 19C: AMERICAN BROWN ALE

AROMA: Overtly sweet, but restrained. Light chocolate. Light toast. Hint of dark fruit. 9/12

APPEARANCE: Deep mahogany/blood red. Clear. Large tan foam. 3/3

FLAVOR: Low sweetness. Some chocolate. Bit nutty. Faint spice on finish. Noticeable tang (old bottle). Not sure what hemp tastes like. Not as sweet as most browns. Decent. 11/20

MOUTHFEEL: Medium body, well carbonated. Smooth. Watery texture. Clean finish. 3/5

OVERALL IMPRESSION: A fresher bottle probably would be a lot more interesting. This isn’t bad. 7/10

TOTAL SCORE: 33/50

Tmoney99 (14755) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - NOV 15, 2015
Bottle. Poured a clear brown color with an average frothy off-white head that mostly lasted with good lacing. Moderate roasted malt and soft hop aroma. Medium body with a smooth texture and soft carbonation. Medium roasted sweet flavor with a medium sweet finish of moderate duration. Soft brew.

jb (3301) - Rochester, New York, USA - OCT 31, 2015
Pretty good for a brown. Plenty of body, and a bit of Porter-like grit and character. Fruitiness in nose and taste, along with malty notes.

tnkw01 (1774) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - OCT 20, 2015
Bottle. Cola colored with a tan head that quickly disappears and not much fizz. Aroma is caramel and roasted grains. Taste is roasted nuts, roasted grains and caramel.

johnnnniee (4374) - Bedford, New Hampshire, USA - OCT 11, 2015
Bottle from America on Tap Deep copper/ brown color with a decent tan head. Rich caramel maltiness with hints of chocolate. Light earthy hop. Decent brown ale, but I can’t say what the hemp added.

beer_rookie (612) - Arkansas, USA - SEP 30, 2015
Pours a ruby or burgundy or yes, brown color. However, it’s somewhat clear. Barely any head, but despite that, it does have some lacing.

Aroma is well, I’m gonna say hemp. Very much so. It’s also toasty malt and a little nutty. I’m not noticing any hops really. But this to me, smells like scotch, at least a little It’s also a little doughy. It’s interesting.

Taste is nutty, that’s what I’m getting up front. Also, a little hoppy, but not so much that it’s bitter. There’s some toasted hemp seeds in there, I’m guessing. It reminds me of the taste or aroma of say, toasted sesame seeds. There’s maybe some caramel sweetness in there. It’s actually quite sweet. A pleasant sweetness, not too much.

Mouthfeel is actually amazing. It’s light, it’s barely dry. It’s very refreshing. It finishes pretty clean, without an aftertaste.

Overall, I don’t like it. My first impression was that it wasn’t very good, and I’m going to stick with that. However, yes, it smells very different, and I give it high marks for that. Yes, it has a surprisingly good taste. Yes, it’s quite pleasant to drink. It does well in each of the categories, but it just doesn’t come together. Don’t get me wrong, it is good. I will probably drink it again. But I just don’t like how it comes together. I can’t grasp how I really feel about it. I keep drinking it, and I keep changing my mind.

I’m thinking of a boxer, who just totally dominates the fight. He wins every round. The opponent is bleeding, all swollen, can barely stand. Yet, this boxer just can’t quite deliver the KO. This boxer will win the fight. But his fans, his team, they’re all disappointed that he didn’t finish strong. That’s the way I feel about this. Man, that was incredible. But yeah, nothing memorable.

JStax (6997) - Devola/Marietta, Ohio, USA - SEP 14, 2015
12 ounce bottle poured into a brandy snifter. The beer is a more hazy brown with a beige head of foam. The aroma is pretty caramelly and sweet. Some brown sugar notes come through as well. Big sweetness in the taste. Definitely something to have as a dessert. Medium body, chewy mouthfeel, and medium carbonation.

Alphadelic (2249) - Portland, Oregon, USA - SEP 8, 2015
Darker than I expected. The nose has weighty chocolate notes amongst sweeter toffee malt and a hint of dry wood and coca-cola. In the mouth it’s definitely on the sweeter side, a wave of chocolate caramel, and a hint of bitterness in the finish, maybe a touch of pepper. Tasty but nothing special. I probably won’t get another 6-pack ever.

jredmond (8445) - New York, New York, USA - AUG 25, 2015
[Backlog] pours a brown/Amber body with light off-white lace. Mouthfeel is medium to thin-bodied with notes of soft malt, caramel, bread, toast and faint fruits. Maybe some floral notes as well which I’m guessing stems from the hemp addition. A bit boring and bland overall.

Marheb (5901) - San Diego, California, USA - AUG 13, 2015
(En fût à la brasserie de Buellton sous le nom de Taproom Brown): Riche mocha, purée de noisettes et raisins rouges. Quel corps!