RATINGS: 490   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.15/5   EST. CALORIES: 171   ABV: 5.7%
Affiliated with the Nectar Ales experience through shared origins at Humboldt Brewing Company, Hemp Ale is a one-of-a-kind brew that boasts an incredibly rich profile and unique herb-accented flavor that is attributable to the incorporation of hemp seeds into the brewing process. A wonderful brown ale full of complexity Hemp Ale is great with food or by itself. American hops create a perfect balance to the darker malts used in this brew. This brown ale is the Gold Medal winner for first place in its category at both the 1999 and 2000 California State Fair Craft Brewing Competitions.

merlin48 (656) - Jenkins, Kentucky, USA - APR 9, 2007
Clear copper body and small beige head that leaves minimal patches of lace. Subtle aroma of herbal hops and mild chocolate. Taste is chocolate and cola. Slight nuttiness and faint earthy and leafy hops. More of a brown ale than a spice or herb brew.

cathcacr (647) - Oregon, USA - JUN 28, 2009
Initial pour brought forth a near-chocolatey bocky aroma that wasn’t quite regained. Malty-bocky flavor with a rather watery palate.

paultheguru (644) - Parker, Colorado, USA - SEP 29, 2010
A: snifter. Pours a dark, rich brown slight ruby color with an off-white head that dissipates rather quickly. light lacing. S: earthy malt aroma, some slight nutty characteristics. T: Nutty, oily, and bitter taste with malt background. Finish is a little bit more mellow, but the flavors wears down after a while. M: Light to medium body and rather oily and smooth, with little carbonation. D: Not a bad beer, but a novelty item to say the least. The flavor tends to get old after a while.

Bartzilla (622) - La Mesa, California, USA - FEB 22, 2008
I’ll rate this for historical purposes. One of the gateway craft beers, along with Red Tail and Arrogant Bastard, back in the day. Used to go through a couple pitchers of this at a time at the Tilted Stick because Chip had a tough time giving this stuff away because it was too different at the time. I flocked to it.

There was that time I put my clothes in the wash at the launderette next door to the Stick and decided I’d stop in for some lunch and a beer while my clothes tumbled. Fast forward to about 11pm and a solid 3 or 4 pitchers of Humboldt Hemp Ale to my head and it was a bitter pill to see the launderette closed. Didn’t even get my clothes to the dryer until the next day. Solid times.

unclebleen (620) - California, USA - APR 24, 2004
Pours a nice dark brown/amber color that was a little surprising as I expected something "light." I just noticed that EnniskillenKid had the same expectation...how strange? Anyway, the aroma has some nice bitter hop notes with a nice malt balance. Flavor is light hop bitterness with the hemp notes actually making an appearance. This is the first hemp beer that actually has a hemp/pot flavor. Body is medium sticky that finishes dry. I was really surprised with this beers quality. Very drinkable and refreshing, as they say.

Stldsf1 (616) - Florida, USA - JAN 27, 2013
Needs more hemp. Just ok brown. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

UnholyBrewing (595) - Central Florida(Upper Hell), Florida, USA - JAN 14, 2013
...bottle at Burke"s. I thought it would have more of an herbal quality. Tasted like a regular brown ale with a slightly nutty flavor. Finished dry and slightly thin and weak. Not impressed.

robiannelli (591) - West Deptford, New Jersey, USA - SEP 15, 2010
12oz bottle poured brown with minimal head. a roasty toasty cereal malt flavor but not overwhelmingly "smokey." (haha had to make bad a pot joke) good brown ale not what i was expecting

bnoel09 (587) - Elk Grove, California, USA - FEB 28, 2011
From the tap to a 24oz. mug at the midtown Sacramento location. Cola brown color with a tan head. Aroma is mostly caramel and chocolate malts with some hop notes. Flavor includes sweet malts along with chocolate, nuts, and roasted flavors. Overall this is a very solid brown ale with a nice balance between sweet and roasted characters.

beer_rookie (584) - Arkansas, USA - SEP 30, 2015
Pours a ruby or burgundy or yes, brown color. However, it’s somewhat clear. Barely any head, but despite that, it does have some lacing.

Aroma is well, I’m gonna say hemp. Very much so. It’s also toasty malt and a little nutty. I’m not noticing any hops really. But this to me, smells like scotch, at least a little It’s also a little doughy. It’s interesting.

Taste is nutty, that’s what I’m getting up front. Also, a little hoppy, but not so much that it’s bitter. There’s some toasted hemp seeds in there, I’m guessing. It reminds me of the taste or aroma of say, toasted sesame seeds. There’s maybe some caramel sweetness in there. It’s actually quite sweet. A pleasant sweetness, not too much.

Mouthfeel is actually amazing. It’s light, it’s barely dry. It’s very refreshing. It finishes pretty clean, without an aftertaste.

Overall, I don’t like it. My first impression was that it wasn’t very good, and I’m going to stick with that. However, yes, it smells very different, and I give it high marks for that. Yes, it has a surprisingly good taste. Yes, it’s quite pleasant to drink. It does well in each of the categories, but it just doesn’t come together. Don’t get me wrong, it is good. I will probably drink it again. But I just don’t like how it comes together. I can’t grasp how I really feel about it. I keep drinking it, and I keep changing my mind.

I’m thinking of a boxer, who just totally dominates the fight. He wins every round. The opponent is bleeding, all swollen, can barely stand. Yet, this boxer just can’t quite deliver the KO. This boxer will win the fight. But his fans, his team, they’re all disappointed that he didn’t finish strong. That’s the way I feel about this. Man, that was incredible. But yeah, nothing memorable.