RATINGS: 629   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.61/5   IBU: 60   EST. CALORIES: 201   ABV: 6.7%
Our IPA is created from a base of Pale and Crystal malts and is aggressively hopped throughout the brewing process with a final hop addition in the conditioning vessel. A beautiful flowery hop aroma will greet you as you dive into this hop lover’s dream. A middle caramel malt presence balances high hop bitterness with hop flavor end to end... learn to love hops! (Editor’s Note: originally brewed by Humboldt Brewing Company under the name "Humboldt IPA Nectar" until their acquisition by Firestone Walker.)

ChillCoat (1029) - Concord, California, USA - DEC 8, 2007
Draft. Dark copper pour with an off-white head. Big, fruity hop aroma. Fresh strawberries and citrus, mostly grapefruit. Very hop-forward flavor with a clean grapefruit taste. Bitter finish.
Earlier Rating: 4/10/2005 Total Score: 4.1
Bottled. 12 Oz. Pours a clear, rich looking orange, almost red. Big hoppy aroma. Notes of pine and citrus. The flavor is dominated by a strange mouth coating dryness, like breathing in the dust while sanding drywall. I get a bit of bitterness then the dryness coats my entire palate and I lose all the taste(!?) OK, I just read some of the other ratings and they look pretty good, I also LOVED how this beer smelled. I’ll have to rerate in the future. Opened a second botle out of the six and found I did indeed have a bad bottle. The taste was actually a bit malty with a good hop bitterness. I could deal without the cascade but I find this to be a solid IPA and seeing it’s one of the few craft brews available at the Safeway down the street, I’m glad it turned out to be a good beer.

jgb9348 (6583) - Arlington (Pentagon City), Virginia, USA - NOV 25, 2007
Deep amber coloured body with a very hazy orange tint - very nice! Decent sized tan head that tops the beer as well. Medium-bodied; Strong hop flavour up front with a good malt backbone, finishing with a pleasant sweetness and a rather strong apricot flavour. Aftertaste has more toffee and caramel tucked in with the hops than anything else. Overall, a good IPA - not enough hops for me, but the other flavours show very well, along with the good malt backbone. I sampled this twelve ounce bottle purchased from Norm’s in Vienna, Virginia on 25 November 2007.

User57106 (246) - - NOV 19, 2007
On draft at brewery, consumed 11/19/07. Clear golden hue, one-finger head of fine white bubbles. Aroma is grapefruit, resiny hops. Strong citrus hop flavor as well, malt present but stepped on by hops. Dyacetal appears in the form of tart green apple flavor at the end, giving a crisp finish that, despite it being a flaw, I found refreshing. Sort of splits the difference between Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Bass.

lb4lb (2628) - Austin, Texas, USA - NOV 18, 2007
Clear copper pour with offwhite head. Smell is a bit metallic. Hoppy, and honey sweetness. Nice hop flavor. Kind of a gummy flavor to it. Not as enjoyable for me as the 94% would make me think. Kind of a tea like, hibiscus flavor to it, and probably needs a bit more sweetness. Mild bitterness. Decent.

Saarlander (1920) - Saarlouis, GERMANY - NOV 16, 2007
Dull Copper pour, slight head, Some slight bitterness, followed by sweetness on the first sip, Mellows well, as sweetness overtakes in flavor, very floral aroma, great drinker!

Modulo (6) - Sellersville, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 14, 2007 does not count
Truly a classic IPA. Found to be just as delightful as Russian Rivers Pliny the Younger but easier to get. Beautiful label as with taste is even appealing to the ladies. Tap Handle kicks butt as well.

00cobraR (1103) - Greensboro, North Carolina, USA - NOV 6, 2007
Pours out a nice coppery color with a small beige head. aroma is fairly hoppy, with a nice note of citrus and grass. The flavor was somewhat better than the aroma. Had a bit of sweetness and a nice resin hit along with a balance of hops. Over all a solid IPA.

Speedle (266) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - OCT 18, 2007
amber with a small white head...floral aroma, sweet citrus/grapefruit...head disapears quickly....taste of tropicals fruits, smooth bitter/sweet taste...nice malt in the background...finishes with a sharp bite....I’m putting this on my list as a contender with some of the higher rated IPAs...I wish I had tried this sooner, I think I was turned off by the label

cathcacr (649) - Washington, USA - OCT 1, 2007
UPDATED: MAR 1, 2008 A fine and distinctive example of this style. Very crisp, very fresh floral, citrusy presentation, followed on the back end by honeyey sweetness, full body, soft and smooth finish. The balance of bitter and sweet in this is top-notch.

BuckeyeBoy (8860) - Boise, Idaho, USA - SEP 25, 2007
12oz bottle pours out a nice amber topped with a cream off white head. A very nice floral hop aroma. Tast of sweet hops and ligth malt. Pretty good.