overall
Brewed by Neustadt Springs Brewery
Style: Pale Lager
Neustadt, Canada

RATINGS: 28   MEAN: 2.62/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.64/5   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
wed in the Keeper's Tradition of 1867, Bruce County Premium Lager reflects a time when life was simple. The crisp taste embraces the cool emerald waters of Georgian Bay and maintains the bold character of the Niagara Escarpment. Join us on the Journey. "Explore the Bruce"

Slacks (615) - Bolton, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 18, 2009
500ml Can: I’m a Neustadt fan, albeit rarely a pale lager fan, but that said this is a vastly underrated beer. Pours very light gold, a surprisingly nice foam head that never left straight to the bottom. Lots of citrusy grapefruit and sugar coming out of the aroma, it’s quite pleasing. Very lightly carbonated and quite smooth and light I snagged sweet biscuit and wheat notes off the top and found those grapefruit hops shortly after. This might be a new go-to for me during summer cottage season this year.

Tessic (1269) - Brantford, Ontario, CANADA - JUL 6, 2009
This lager poured a light golden colour with a quickly dissipating head. To the nose there are scents of hopps, juniper, citrus and dough. First sip was smooth and flavourful with flavours of caramel, butter, hopps and a little spice. Finish is slightly hoppy with a little bitter value there along with a little...smoke? Palate is also slightly hoppy with bitterness lingering. Seriously underated.

pootzboy (1832) - Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 17, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 26, 2008 Bought 6 of these unlabelled from the brewery last year when it was on taste trials...l and had some at the hotel in Wiarton during the summer and recently after snowmobiling. I liked the draft version better...could be my imagination but I think it was better lagered...hard to tell as this beer is so subtle. Definately a good session beer with quality ingredients...you can tell that with just a sniff....smells of subtle bready malts and light herbal aroma hopping...pours a clear yellow straw color with a one finger white cap that leaves a lace as it goes down. Mildly effervescent. Starts mellow and subdued then smooths out where the bready-nutty malts mingle with the subtle hops... finish is clean but a bit thin leaving a mild bisquit after tast. This is a unique beer in it’s subtleness, do we need a lager tamed like this?...very mild and drinkable....great to quaff on the patio of a cottage country inn...which is where most of the sales are that keep this brewer at capacity brewing this beer in the warm months.

BINGEBOT (240) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 25, 2008
Pours with some crazy bubbly white head. Dissipates quickly, but wow. Unexpected. Slightly hazy and yellow. Sweet a little hoppy, wheaty and a bit of corn meal. Tastes like a wit, wheaty, grassy with a hint of citrus. Surprisingly complex.

Zenwolf (269) - Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA - SEP 4, 2010
Can. Pours a slight pale gold / light hay. Sweet and hopsy nose. Crisp, hospt with a smooth slightly floral hops finish. I wasn’t expecting much as I don’t lke the style. Dry and crisp. Good brew.

Cartoonkhaki (1341) - Brantford, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 21, 2003
I went to the brewery last Saturday. I asked him if he was going to come out with anything new. And as soon as I said that an unlabled bottle was opened and a sample poured for me just as I was finishing my sentance. It isn't available outside of the brewery yet, its only available in 12s and the only label they have is a green tag attached to the neck with an elastic band. Very quaint. The owner was very nice and was very helpful in directing me to more beer. Everyone I gave this beer to liked it and really enjoyed it. They including myself found it refreshing and not overbaringly loaded with sights sounds and smells. Clean crisp pale yellow colour. Nice head. Mild and mute in flavour which suited my mood perfectly that day. So it went down quite well. Although people will probaly trash this beer for having anything of distinction going towards it. I appreciated that when I had it. I will have this again.

GregClow (3402) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 11, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 5, 2007 RE-RATE: Wow, this beer has improved a helluvalot since the first (and last) time I tried it 3 years ago. Pours a nice golden colour with a good sized white head that doesn’t stick around. Aroma is predominantly malty with a sweet and toasty character. Body is thin, but OK for the style. Flavour is mild but well balanced, with bready malt and herbal hops in their proper places, the hops getting bolder as it warms. It’s still a mainstream, easy drinking lager, but it’s a very well made one that’s miles better than the watery, fizzy yellow stuff it used to be.

ORIGINAL RATING (June, 2004): Very pale yellow colour. Minimal aroma, with a fleeting whiff of malt. Body starts crisp, but finishes watery. Flavour is barely there, with the faintest hints of malt and hops. A generally useless beer, and a real disappointment since Neustadt’s flagship lager is actually pretty decent. [3/1/4/2/7]

shintriad (701) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - SEP 19, 2007
Slow carbonation, hazy and cloudy, pale yellow gold body. Scent: apples, grass, noble hops. Surprisingly bitter, fresh and tart, very little aftertaste, some citrus and musk. As with a lot of Neustadt products, has a watery body. However, good lacing and great for the pale lager category. Kind of numbing, for some reason. This is the second "Bruce" beer I rated today. No, I wasn’t at a gay bar.