overall
Brewed by Klosterbrauerei Neuzelle
Style: Schwarzbier
Neuzelle, Germany

RATINGS: 245   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.23/5   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
An ancient style of dark beer brewed in the Brandenburg region of Germany. Sip one while you take a bath, or, like we do in Germany, add it directly to your bath water.

drpimento (3815) - La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 7, 2007
Pours with a light tan head, a bit of lace and very dark reddish brown. Super aromatic roasty, dark chocolate, toffee, malt, hint of raisin/date. Definite tartness in flavor, but very nice silky mout filling quaff. a few years ago I even had the sublime pleasure of drinking 2 and bathing in 2 with my gf. Heaven!

Jake Barnes (456) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - JUN 17, 2001
I think this was my first experience with a rauchbier, although I had no idea when I opened it. I didn't think i would like rauchbiers but this was great. Nice pleasant smokey taste that complements the beer beautifully.

Dogbrick (14344) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - MAY 6, 2002
I liked this better than the Blackened Voodoo Schwarzbier because it was not as overly carbonated. Black color and decent head/lacing. I can't see dropping $3.50 to add this to my bathwater though. Usually you take a bath to get rid of the beer smell, not vice versa. Fairly sweet malty maple flavor with coffee notes. I'd have this one again.

krisbierjaeger (844) - dolores, Colorado, USA - JUL 15, 2002
dark brown with rouge filigree and tan foam. the label's leering monk, in addition to the subtext: 'monastery fun' and the tips on bathing make these jolly kloistered fellows a little suspect. alterboys beware. i chose to consume the beverage in lieu of dumping it in the bath as reccommended, and i believe sanity supports my choice. the nose says 'schwarzbier', however, MY nose said 'porter', and so then the two noses got into an argument about top and bottom fermenting yeasts, and my nose ended up pouting and leaving. malt toasted dark but not burnt, just moderately sweet with some raisin and cola. smooth once it's room temp. very nice.

guzzler67 (1696) - Hanover, Maryland, USA - MAR 30, 2004
Dark brown appearance with a red edge. Coffee in the aroma and the taste. Some sweetness from the roasted malts, but not cloying. Nicely carbonated, giving it a medium-bodied flavor. Smooth, slightly smokey finish.

Radek Kliber (7501) - Toronto (Can) Krotoszyn (Pol), POLAND - MAY 20, 2004
Dark roast, you can feel nice depth behind it. Masters job, simple nose, but how was it done. That woody, roasted malt, and iron earthy finish. While you drink you will notice second malt tone, lighter and sweeter. Warm alcohol, pleasant sipper.

grat (432) - ST. Louis, Missouri, USA - MAY 24, 2004
very roasted beer. Pours black as night, with not too giant a head. smells like burnt wood, cracked pepper, and aniseed. It’s like your chewing on deep roasted grain. Good brew. Aftertaste is round and satisfying. I could drink a couple. grat

rederic (3344) - montréal, Quebec, CANADA - MAR 23, 2005
Dark blackish hue, with an elusive foam, burnt toast, roasted malt, dark bitter chocolate, coffee, burnt grains aromas follow through a medium-bodied palate, with dark coffee, roasted coffee grains, hint of cacao saying hello!, within a discreet bitterness finish, coming from his roasted malt. only my nose had the chance to take a bath in this beer.

legion242 (2348) - Richardson, Texas, USA - OCT 22, 2005
Dark color. Lacy and fluffy head. Nose of roasted coffee malt. Slightly tart backed up with lots of roasted maltiness.

dwyerpg (6498) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - NOV 3, 2005
You supposedly could take a bath in this beer. Seems like a waste of money. Good aroma (bittersweet chocolated), little head. A decent beer and certainly out of the ordinary. Apparently doesn’t pass the German Purity Law (or any of these Neuzellers).