overall

RATINGS: 42   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.18/5   ABV: -
Single Batch. Extremely well-balanced with rich malt flavor up front, followed by a hoppy finish. Full-bodied and hearty. Formerly New Amsterdam New York Amber Ale.

Andrew196 (1993) - Katy, Texas, USA - SEP 2, 2003
Amber in color with a brief beige head. Sweet malts, hops, and honey in the aroma. Very plain throughout, but it had a pleasant, crisp maltiness to it that was very refreshing. Probably a gateway beer of sorts.

pootzboy (1804) - Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA - MAY 12, 2010
Bottle: Finally scrounged one of these Utica-made NA beers. I’m revisiting this after tasting the original in the distant misty past. One of the first US micro beers I tasted. Pours a clear orange-amber ale in the glass. ! finger rocky cap, goes to a ring but laces the glass. Caramel maltiness, some fruits and dried grass in the nose Moderate body, thinnish mouth feel. Caramel malts in front are balanced with piney hop and fruity esters, finish dries out with a decent hop bite. My memory is foggy but this seems a tad thin compared to the AN amber of yore, nothing outstanding but it’s a decent enough amber ale for sessions.

21iceman40 (1735) - Grafton, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 8, 2003
a maroon copper color to it with a lill head. A nice sweet, hoppy aroma. I though this would suck, but its really good. Smarties in the body, not too much water, most satisfactory as far as a nice relaxing brew. An absolutely solid amber.

bigrond (1499) - factoryville, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 1, 2009
this brew was okay. I tried it at a beerfest because I’d never seen it before. It was very ....forgettable. Nothing really stood out. It wasn’t good and it wasn’t that bad. If your looking for run-of-the-mill beer. This is it.

WISEGUY572 (1377) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 22, 2003
OK, it's only a lager, but the combination of malt, floral hops, and long finish, plus surprisingly complexity for a lager, made it quite pleasant. Of course, some of this may be location. I had this on a balcony in New York on Central Park West, overlooking the Park and the City at night.

AceOfHearts (1374) - Mountain View, California, USA - JUN 25, 2003
Bottle. Hard for me to believe the other ratings here, I thought this stuff was awful. Sour flavor that leads into a nasty aftertaste, slimy mouthfeel, weakly fruity aroma, some effervesence that's more annoying than anything else...I just couldn't get into it and now I'm going to have to go downstairs and drink a Celebrator Dopplebock that I had been saving for Friday to wash the taste out of my mouth. Dammit, now I'm going to have to go to the store and pick another one up tomorrow.

screwball (1099) - Motala, SWEDEN - MAY 2, 2004
Brownish head with a amber body. Almost no aroma. A little taste of hops and malt. Nice aftertaste that lasts a while.

VENOM (941) - Connecticut, USA - APR 9, 2002
Chill hazed amber. Thin white head. Light carbonation. Toasty aroma, some light floral and citric hops and some wet cardboard. Medium bodied, quite full. Slightly citric and floral hop flavor atop a light toasted sweet malt base. A bit of oxidation and wet paper and semi-flat hops. Nice body for a lager. This has potential but I'm not buying this again until they have dated packaging.

Jine (903) - Nutley, New Jersey, USA - SEP 18, 2004
Nice amber color. A nice amber overall in fact. Not much to really wow you though, but nothing to complain about either. Easy drinkin’, good tasting

beaconstreet (811) - Washington DC, USA - SEP 18, 2004
This is a nice beer, randomly found in a store refridgerator. Great amber/dark-brown color, and sweet richness. An example for others to see what a beer can taste like without going over the top with experimentation. Hints of grape, even, in the palate? A nice beer, one I would have again, esp in a pint at a bar.