overall
RATINGS: 1831   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.53/5   IBU: 21   EST. CALORIES: 168   ABV: 5.6%
Born of a flood and centuries-old Belgian text, 1554 Black Lager uses a lager yeast strain and dark chocolaty malts to redefine what dark beer can be. In 1997, a Fort Collins flood destroyed the original recipe our researcher, Phil Benstein, found in the library. So Phil and brewmaster, Peter Bouckaert, traveled to Belgium to retrieve this unique style lost to the ages. Their first challenge was deciphering antiquated script and outdated units of measurement, but trial and error (and many months of in-house sampling) culminated in 1554, a highly quaffable dark beer with a moderate body and mouthfeel.

Dynamind69 (29) - San Miguel, California, USA - APR 30, 2007
This is the perfect dark ale,I have finally found a great ale,with mild hops.It is not too bitter,the sweet malts are perfect.This is the best dark ale I have ever had and I will make my primary daily drinker.I liked everything about it. Perfect! I like this brew better than fat tire.Its the best tasting beer in the world ,I love it.

leah2974 (429) - Georgia, USA - MAY 1, 2010
Smooth, dark, melty, chocolaty ecstasy. Vanilla, delicious, amazing dream. Tastes like the year 1554.

802CATAMOUNT (3) - gastonia, North Carolina, USA - SEP 19, 2010 does not count
i was shocked or my taste buds have changed....new belgium is making a lot
bigger batches of beer than when i used to live in the southwest...i think a lot of there beers taste different than they used to taste ......... but this black ale is really good i’m very pleased with it over all and i buy lots of it !!!! !!!! !!!! !!!

cheers

Bttrfly777 (2) - - JAN 24, 2013 does not count
An amazing lesser known beer. I always bring this beer to gatherings and everyone’s always surprised how good this is. If you like Fat Tire you MUST try 1554!!!

Omar1991 (10) - - JUN 5, 2016
This is the by far one of the best beers I've ever tried. Very well balanced with smoky and very subtle chocolate notes. Looks fantastic and goes down very easy with no aftertaste . Highly recommend ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone