overall
RATINGS: 1833   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.52/5   IBU: 21   EST. CALORIES: 168   ABV: 5.6%
Born of a flood and centuries-old Belgian text, 1554 Black Lager uses a lager yeast strain and dark chocolaty malts to redefine what dark beer can be. In 1997, a Fort Collins flood destroyed the original recipe our researcher, Phil Benstein, found in the library. So Phil and brewmaster, Peter Bouckaert, traveled to Belgium to retrieve this unique style lost to the ages. Their first challenge was deciphering antiquated script and outdated units of measurement, but trial and error (and many months of in-house sampling) culminated in 1554, a highly quaffable dark beer with a moderate body and mouthfeel.

Slick (1969) - Thief River Falls, Minnesota, USA - JUN 28, 2004
Brown in color,small off white head that faded quickly leaving little behind.Malty light caramel aroma with maybe a touch of hops in it.Nice malty flavor with a bit of chocolate,roasty with a slight hop bitterness at the tail end of the tasteing.I guess i don’t see where the acidity comes into play.it seems quite smooth and easy drinking with a nice amount of carbonation to help make the flavors dance on your tongue.I have to agree with Grat, it does have some Schwarzbier qualities.Over all a pretty decent brew.Thanks go to Falconseye for sending this brew my way.

grat (432) - ST. Louis, Missouri, USA - JUN 27, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 12, 2005 This beer is really interesting. Pours a lovely black and garnet color with anice tan head. Nose is of cinnamon, chocolate, roastiness, and a nice dry smoked pepper sort of aroma. on the tongue it almost tastes like a schwarz beer however the mouthfeel is much more generous than a typical black lager. Notes of, roasted pepper, dry roasted fennel, and deep rich vanilla. Not bad not great had better. G-rat

duff (5486) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - JUN 24, 2004
Bottle-In the vaults of HI International. I kept buying New Belgium beers in the US, and i was always dissapointed. Typically soft, with no guts and no interesting flavours. Light Belgian yeast character, some chocolate and orange. Inofensive, and just plain boring.

mohawksin (187) - Nebraska, USA - JUN 23, 2004
Cola like color, no head. Toasted malt aroma. Thin but tastes thick. Flavor of dried fruit and wood.

Kevin (2217) - Montana, USA - JUN 22, 2004
tap. Black with almost no head. malt chocolate aroma that was muted. tatste is malty with a slight acidity from the hops. finish is toffee. not a bad beer.

eboats (1115) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - JUN 18, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 29, 2006 The 1st time I tried this beer I was not impressed. After giving it a 2nd chance I found it rather tasty. Has a nice roasted oak smell. Has a sweek oak taste with spices. Not something I would start my night with, but pretty good once you have had a few beers beforehand. Re-rate flavor: Some roasted notes, toasted bread, slight chocolate. Overall solid body, but still slightly watery.

Dansting (222) - Overland Park, Kansas, USA - JUN 16, 2004
Above average. I wouldn’t have ordered it if I didn’t need it for my Old Chicago World Beer Tour, but I’m glad I did. I was pleasantly surprised.

heemer77 (5361) - Urbandale, Iowa, USA - JUN 13, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 21, 2006 The body poured from the bottle as black but shows a dark ruby when held to light. The head is a dark khaki. The aroma is nutty with some light roasted coffee and a hint of chocolate. The taste is smooth coffee with a hint of sweet honey. There is also some peaches. I am still not a fan, but not as bad as I remember. original rating follows. On tap at the Ginger Man in Dallas. Aorma was slightly sweet with oak. The taste was bubblegum with a nasty finish. Also had peaches and tobacco. A strange combination.

Sven (229) - Lancaster, California, USA - JUN 12, 2004
Deep dark brown, bordering on black. Thick, dense, frothy tan head. Strong malty sweetness with an immense roasty presence. Traditional ale maybe, Schwarzbier definately. I wish that this was more available to me. Very good beer.

brewshthereen (316) - Oregon, USA - JUN 11, 2004
Peppery and yeasty aroma. Dark muddy, amber/brown. Flavor is figgy, chocolate and dates. Nice yeasty flavor as well. Dry finish. A bit thin, but still quite good.