overall
RATINGS: 1216   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.62/5   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Winner of four World Beer Cup medals and eight medals at the Great American Beer Fest, Abbey Belgian Ale is the Mark Spitz of New Belgiums lineup - but it didnt start out that way. When Jeff and Kim first sampled the beer at the Lyons Folks Fest, reviews were mixed at best. One of founder Jeffs first two Belgian style homebrews (along with Fat Tire), Abbey is a Belgian dubbel (or double) brewed with six different malts and an authentic Belgian yeast strain. Abbey is bottle-conditioned, weighs in at 7.0% alcohol by volume, and pairs well with chocolate (or boldly served by itself) for dessert.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
fly (1475) - austin, Tejas, Texas, USA - MAR 17, 2004
Very good take on the style. Perhaps the only think "lacking" would be a bit of conditioning yeast. The first Belgian abbey (Chimay) that I had years ago bowled me over by having a flavor I had never experienced. Now I believe I am almost at a temporary burn out. Sure hope that's not the case. I would probably RAVE about this were it not for that sensation of not being excited about all the flavors in here that are dead on target. A definite job well done.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
y0cola (361) - fremont, California, USA - MAR 5, 2004
dark ruby color with a thin white head. tastes of sour cherries and sweet aftertaste of blackberries.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
awaller05 (305) - Sharon, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 2, 2004
a nice reddish brown color. Poured with a decent head. A nice fruity, malty taste to compliment this one. Didn't realize the kick of this one till after I felt a little drunk.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
TheBeerGod (6167) - Newport News, Virginia, USA - MAR 1, 2004
Thanks to whaleman for sending this! Pours brown with a medium tan head. Nice spiced and fruity nose, along with malt and some hints of sugar. Great taste! Light spices, nutty malt, some candy sugar, and maraschino cherry. Sweet but slightly bitter finish. Really nice surprise how great this beer was.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
donyboy (7) - Houston, Texas, USA - FEB 25, 2004 does not count
This is a wonderful Belgium ale. It reminds me of an ever-so-slightly diluted Chimay Red. AND when you consider the price (which nearly all human beer drinkers do) is about 25% of the Chimay, it seems to be the overall winner when choosing a beer to have on stock. I especially liked the awareness of hops while not being blown away by them. Nice discovery for me.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
willblake (2654) - Bel Air, Maryland, USA - FEB 24, 2004
6/02, bottle. Nutty brown-amber-red color. Belgian-yeasty aromas, ckicklets and ambrosia, rice-pudding, cherry soda. The flavors are savory and fresh. Hints of marmalade, christmas ham, lemon pie, plum and mince pie. The spice is light and mild, but warmilngly present; the citrus and sour (like sourdough) yeast dominates making this pleasingly complex. A nice, affordable belgian double style beer I wish I had bought more of.

beeriodic (61) - Longmont, Colorado, USA - FEB 17, 2004
Pours clear copper with a big-bubbled, tannish head. Great nose, with fruity esters, sweet malt, and heady yeasty tones. A little effervescent. Flavor is complex, with lots of malt, an impressive hit of bitterness, and dry finish. The alcohol is well hidden, except for a slight warming sensation on the palatte. Mouthfeel is spot on, too. Not much to fault here, except a slight mettalic/ tannic flavor.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
MMM...Beer (385) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - FEB 1, 2004
I'm really starting to become a big New Belgium advocate. Not only have I enjoyed everyone of their brews I've tried, but they have the ability to make me enjoy their beers in the styles I'm not a big fan of. For example, I wouldn't call myself much of a Abbey Dubbel fan, but I loved this one. Usually I find this style to be a little overwhelming for my tastes (and aromas) but this one was just right.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
ClarkVV (6400) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA - FEB 1, 2004
UPDATED: OCT 3, 2007 2003 bottle. Nice dark, earth brown color. Says its bottle conditioned, but Im not seeing any sediment. Ill take their word for it, but it was fairly clear. Aroma has a slight hint of vinegar. I liked that, light malt sweetness. Flavor is pretty stereotypical (but good) for a abbey dubbel. Medium body, earthiness and some light brown sugar. Some slight brown bread and that New Belgium yeast flavor. Touches of spice on the finish. This is a very delicate beer. Elegant and well-made. Thanks for the bottle, Mike (BBB63)

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
wulfhere (217) - Billings, Montana, USA - JAN 22, 2004
On Tap at Brewery. Pours a nice hazelnut color with a decent head that shows fine structure and that lingers on the odge of the glass. Complex nose--berries, yeast/bread aromas and a base maltiness. Tastes of fruit, nutmeg, hint of clove with a slight warming effect. Nice mouthfeel and body. All-in-all a very respectable abbey dubbel with 7% alcohol no less. Kudos!