overall
RATINGS: 489   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.52/5   IBU: 60   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
When we set out to brew, we use imagination and salvation to guide us- not necessarily style guidelines. It’s the Belgian way. So, Ameri-Belgo and IPA both being styles, the branding begged for New Belgium whimsy to liven things up. Hmmm Belgo sounds like a Belgian disco. Hops like to party. Next thing you know, we bust out a disco-ball and brewers started groovin. Hops started hoppin. Add in an authentic Trappist yeast strain and the place brewed into a frenzy of citrus hoppy folly.

Note: Moved to the Explore Series in 2011, making it available year-round.

1.4
showman305 (8) - Waukee, Iowa, USA - OCT 6, 2013 does not count
I personally don’t care for the overly hoppy beers, this like most IPAd is pretty hoppy but not overpowering. The ABC level helps out though.

ROGUE (2215) - Lewes, Delaware, USA - SEP 18, 2013
12oz bottle. Rich amber color with a frothy three finger head with good retention. Aroma opens with some burnt dust, apricot, malt, and mild yeast scents. Taste opens with sweet malt, flowery hops, and apricot hops. Transitions to spicy flavors, coriander, grapefruit, and Belgian yeast complexities. Aftertaste is of mildly bready malt flavors combined with hop bitterness. Medium body, moderate carbonation.

AndyW68 (1593) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - AUG 29, 2013
Interesting, unusual light hazy orange pour with a white head. Aroma is sweet citrus, pine and yeast. Taste is what it is called. Belgian ipa. Ipa, but a refreshing Belgian back. Not an every day choice, but good.

jemiard (4) - - AUG 28, 2013 does not count
One of my favorite beers! I love the combination of hops and yeast used. Found this on tap at a local bar.

spittle8 (137) - California, USA - AUG 2, 2013
Poured from a bottle, San Diego. Strong piney hop aroma. A sweet, hoppy beer of the pine variety.

DedicatedToFun (4000) - Santa Monica, California, USA - JUL 26, 2013
Bottle, six pack, BevMo, thanks for a great ipa that has lots of hints of that belgian mix, sweet, very good

Block (2950) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - MAY 1, 2013
I just did not like this beer. I thought it tasted really weird. It stood out from the others but in a very negative way. I can’t really describe it, just strange.

DougHnut70 (72) - Livermore, California, USA - APR 21, 2013
Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip. Cloudy orange with a thick head. Smells like sweet citrus with some yeast. Taste is sweet, piney, mixed with a yeast/funk with a bitter, hoppy aftertaste. I can see what NB is going for here - and it is very, very good. Even though these are some of my favorite styles of beer (IPAs and Belgians), the combination is somehow not the best of both worlds.

GSH1976 (307) - Delaware, USA - MAR 26, 2013
Pours a hazy golden with lots of white head. Aroma is yeast and citrus with a touch of coriander. Taste follows the nose but the Belgian notes are not as pronounced as in the aroma. There is some sweetness but the main theme here is bitter citrus. Medium bodied and very crisp. I am not a huge fan of this style but this isn’t bad at all. It is very easy drinking and refreshing.

burgy (456) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - MAR 9, 2013
Not bad. But I am not a fan of the Belgian notes added into the IPA style. Not the best combo...