overall
RATINGS: 3054   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.08/5   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Named in honor of our founder Jeff’s bike trip through Belgium, Fat Tire Amber Ale marks a turning point in the young electrical engineer’s home brewing. Belgian beers use a far broader palette of ingredients (fruits, spices, esoteric yeast strains) than German or English styles. Jeff found the Belgian approach freeing. Upon his return, Jeff created Fat Tire and Abbey Belgian Ale, (assuming Abbey would be his big gun). He and his wife, Kim traveled around sampling their homebrews to the public. Fat Tire’s appeal quickly became evident. People liked everything about it. Except the name. Fat Tire won fans is in its sense of balance: toasty, biscuit-like malt flavors coasting in equilibrium with hoppy freshness.

HistoryGeek (17) - California, USA - OCT 23, 2006
It’s average. Not the best beer from Belgium but certainly not the worst. My dad swears by this stuff. However, if you are looking for a good beer, go with Heineken. It’s a Dutch version of Fat Tire and it tastes better.

beerabill (14) - Silverdale, Washington, USA - OCT 19, 2006
Bottle. Smeals fruity like apple, appricot. Golden amber with white head, short lasting. Not a very full mouthfeel but enough. Hoppy sweet fruit taste, and sour apple aftertaste. Nice.

katertater (1) - USA - OCT 18, 2006 does not count
Pretty fizzy, lots of head, Good for just drinking no fuss, A malty flavor, Really good. I enjoy it a lot!

missing (72) - Wichita, Kansas, USA - OCT 18, 2006
All in all a good drinking beer. Smooth malt flavor with a little hoppiness to balance it out. It leans towards the biscuity and you can smell it in the aroma. Nice clear amber pour with a thick residual head.

tamedturtle (10) - Cranberry Twp, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 17, 2006
Pours decent head and coppery amber color tastes of biscuits and cookies and great feel in your mouth. some are not impressed but this is one of my favorite beers please come to Pennsylvania

davidoc (113) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - OCT 12, 2006
Light amber color with a fair white head. Tastes great, and finishes like coffee smells.

sneagrams3 (2337) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - OCT 12, 2006
Draft at Schottzie’s in Maplewood (StL) watching the Cardinals clinch against the Padres. And this is more of a formality. I’ve had many many Fat Tire’s in my day, but never stopped to jot a few notes, so here goes. Filtered and amber. The biscuit malt quality that they are so proud of shows in the nose. Flavor is similar with the biscuit and caramel malts playing together. Mild finish and definitely a very quaffable brew. Maybe not the best amber, but it has been a while since a beer has made such a fuss and caused such widespread attention as this. And no, its not the Fat Tire brewing company! They do make other beers! But, I am a staunch supported of New Belgium and what they do. Environmentally sound, wind powered and employeed owned? That makes this brew so much more enjoiable! Cheers!

Slurricane (15) - Plymouth, Minnesota, USA - OCT 9, 2006
UPDATED: JUN 19, 2007 This is my favorite beer. Tough to get my hand on in MN, but travel to CO frequently, lucky me. I love the smell, taste and finish.

Nevermore (2) - USA - OCT 8, 2006 does not count
Wonderful, pours smoothly with a nice head. Color, a thick amber orange. strong smells of citrus. finishes great, with biscut tones. Great with food.

iloveoberon (4) - Flint, Michigan, USA - OCT 6, 2006 does not count
This is hands down my absolute favorite beer. The taste, bottle, smell, everything is amazing. Unfortunately I live in michigan so I don’t have access to this. My brother lives in oregon so when he comes home he brings it by the case, my whole family loves it. Wish I could drink this everyday.