overall
RATINGS: 3056   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.08/5   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Named in honor of our founder Jeffs bike trip through Belgium, Fat Tire Amber Ale marks a turning point in the young electrical engineers home brewing. Belgian beers use a far broader palette of ingredients (fruits, spices, esoteric yeast strains) than German or English styles. Jeff found the Belgian approach freeing. Upon his return, Jeff created Fat Tire and Abbey Belgian Ale, (assuming Abbey would be his big gun). He and his wife, Kim traveled around sampling their homebrews to the public. Fat Tires appeal quickly became evident. People liked everything about it. Except the name. Fat Tire won fans is in its sense of balance: toasty, biscuit-like malt flavors coasting in equilibrium with hoppy freshness.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
WhiteSoxFan (152) - USA - JUL 7, 2006
12 oz. bottle. Drank on 6/8/06. Really surprised by how light it is in color. I thought it was a much darker amber. It is light amber to deep copper. Very clear. 1" creamy off white head. Drops quickly to a quick layer of foam. Foam sticks around. Decent lacing. Aroma - some decent toasty, bready, biscuity notes. Tiny bit of spicy yeast character. Flavor - OK. Little bitter up front. Lots of toasty, biscuit-like flavors. Little bit of an intersting yeast character. Not much hop character, well balanced though. Palate - light to medium. Good carbonation. Crisp and kind of smooth. Overall - good. I appreciate Fat Tire for what it is. Its not the greatest beer, but its good.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
runaway (84) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JUL 6, 2006
UPDATED: MAR 21, 2007 I had a period where I couldnt drink this because I associated it with the flu. But luckily, Ive since recovered. The 12oz bottle poured a clear amber with a reddish tint, with light carbonation giving rise to a white, medium height, fine-grained head. The aroma is toasty caramelly biscuity malty, with no fruit or hops I could smell. I detected a faint hint of cheese, though. The taste agreed well with the smell, with the malts being dominant, not too bitter, and only a hint of hops. The finish was mild and difficult to pin down: my notes only say "thin" and "moist" which isnt terribly descriptive. Overall this was not bad but not outstanding.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
SoLan (1550) - Florida, USA - JUL 3, 2006
Amber/copper with a small, off white head that disappears. Flavor and aroma of crusty toast and crisp hops. Simple, drinkable brew. Medium/light, balanced palate.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
kevie999 (3) - chino, California, USA - JUL 1, 2006 does not count
Very good beer, which has a light taste, but still has the elegants of a medium blend. Light taste of salt with great after taste!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
JohnnyJ (5539) - San Diego, California, USA - JUN 30, 2006
I like this beer... its easy to find, fairly cheap, and easy to drink. I dont consider this a sipping beer, it is a drinking beer, so I rate it as such. Pours an amber color. Tastes of malt and only a small amount of hops. Biscits and bready flavors, goes down easy. Nice flavor for a find anywhere beer.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
crimsgst (4) - Darien, Illinois, USA - JUN 28, 2006 does not count
Tas-T. Strong and handsome, just how i like my beers. Big enough to make you smile after two bottles. Too expensive. Fucking Chicago politics man. They know, you know, I know, why we drink. They just put a cap on the damn alcohol percentage, so weve got to drink more. Eventually we all end up buying Michelob Ultra and become miserable yuppies buying black fenced apartments in Wicker Park talking about our new Razr phones. I need a drink.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
jason (1834) - Easton, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 27, 2006
Thanks to craig for the Bottle. I like ambers but I do not like this one. Way too much malt creating a malty soup appearance with yeast. Very bland and almost undrinkable.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
gearbike (512) - West Bloomfield, Michigan, USA - JUN 27, 2006
Clear to amber color. Refreshing with a malty twist but rather plain. Very drinkable but a bit disapointed from all I have heard thru the years.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
mstockton (225) - Frankfurt, GERMANY - JUN 26, 2006
Hmm...I really went into this one expecting A LOT. Some folks had bragged about it, but it tasted like just another overdone, yet quality-laden, microbrew to me. It was a little smokey and had soem hoppy flavor to it. Not my bag and there are too many beers that taste EXACTLY like this. Maybe I needed to wear some hemp to enjoy it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
holdenn (2113) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 26, 2006
UPDATED: JUL 7, 2006 this beer is overhyped, it recently came to chicago and there was a lot of hoopla over it, it is now at absolutely almost every bar, restaurant, and liquor store in the city. as annoying as that is, if theyre a place that only serves miller you could always resort to this. not a bad brew just an average brew. the aroma is very malty with bready and and a lot of carmel flavors. slightly crisp in the end. very drinkable.