overall
RATINGS: 2827   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.08/5   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Named in honor of our founder Jeff’s bike trip through Belgium, Fat Tire Amber Ale marks a turning point in the young electrical engineer’s home brewing. Belgian beers use a far broader palette of ingredients (fruits, spices, esoteric yeast strains) than German or English styles. Jeff found the Belgian approach freeing. Upon his return, Jeff created Fat Tire and Abbey Belgian Ale, (assuming Abbey would be his big gun). He and his wife, Kim traveled around sampling their homebrews to the public. Fat Tire’s appeal quickly became evident. People liked everything about it. Except the name. Fat Tire won fans is in its sense of balance: toasty, biscuit-like malt flavors coasting in equilibrium with hoppy freshness.

sfontain's rating

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
sfontain (851) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - DEC 28, 2013
22 (?) oz bottle. Thanks, Alex. Clear, light amber color with a small, white head. Sweet malty aroma. Lighter but present flavor is slightly on the fruity side. Extremely forgettable, but better than I remembered from a couple years earlier.

Peterhogan22 (25) - - AUG 9, 2017
I love Fat Tire, weird how the ratings aren't too high...on of my favorites. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

Iznogud (3895) - CROATIA - AUG 9, 2017
Canned, 355 ml, at Buffalo Bungalow, Glendale, UT. Amber, off white head Caramel, malty, some fruity notes. On the sweet side. Medium bodied.

Nonshaugen (622) - Fetsund, NORWAY - AUG 6, 2017
355 ml can, BB May 13th 2018. Clear, orange golden amber, thick white head, medium to lively carbonation. Not much else to the nose than dark bready notes. Mouthfeel is sharp and fresh, a bit thin. Aromas of toffee and caramel, some bitterness and sweetness, quite balanced, with unfamiliar yeast notes. I liked this!!

sdhunter (10) - - AUG 5, 2017
One of my favorites. Excellent, light aftertaste. Caramel color. My go to beer when I don't know what else to get ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

Bootlegger007 (209) - AUSTRALIA - AUG 3, 2017
It’s nice and easy drinking, light aroma of dark fruits and caramel, light amber colour with a large rocky head, medium body, flavours of sweet caramel malt finishing with a mellow bitterness.

WilleLW (282) - Lund, SWEDEN - AUG 1, 2017
Amber coloured beer with a creamy head. Aroma of malt, caramel, orange peel and hops. Taste of sweet sugar, caramel, some fruitiness and malt.

SONOFWODEN (65) - New York, USA - AUG 1, 2017
I have heard a lot of hype about Fat Tire including from Matt, a co-host on a podcast that I listen to called "The Perfect Pour". One Saturday, my shelves were empty, I did not feel like driving to the distributor, so I picked up a 6 of this from a deli down the street. It is good, I am enjoying it, but it is not great and did not knock my socks off. I am not sure what all the hype is about.

hauxe (831) - Butzbach, Hesse, GERMANY - JUL 27, 2017
From the bottle. Drank from a tinted glass and was not able to ger the color. Looked orange. Aroma is floral with light notes of honey and caramel. Taste is mildly bittersweet. Hints of spice. Body is light, even a touch watery. Overall, kind of dull, but no off notes either.

nathanvc (533) - Brugge, BELGIUM - JUL 23, 2017
Bottle from Vons, Las Vegas. Pours clear amber with a minimal, off-white head. The aroma contains malt, biscuit, bread, caramel, fruits and hops. It tastes medium malty sweet and light hoppy bitter into the finish, ending slightly dry. Medium body, slick texture, fizzy carbonation. A decent Amber Ale, I’d have it again (if I could).

beer-yum (1756) - Wellington, NEW ZEALAND - JUL 16, 2017
Funky floral farmhouse aroma in an amber copper pour. Slightly tart taste to start with mix of spice, bread, and bubblegum in the body. Restrained finish is fresh but a little watery.