overall
RATINGS: 1602   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98/5   IBU: 18   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
La Folie, French for "the folly," is a beer steeped in New Belgium brewing tradition. This wood-aged, sour brown spends one to three years in big, oak barrels, known as foeders. And when the beer finally hits the glass, La Folie is sharp and sour, full of green apple, cherry, and plum-skin notes. Pouring a deep mahogany, the mouthfeel will get you puckering while the smooth finish will get you smiling. Not a beer for the timid, La Folie is a sour delight that will turn your tongue on its head. Find out why it’s considered one of the best sour beers around.

LinusStick (3509) - Moon Twp, suburb of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 28, 2008
This is so close to perfection it’s unbelievable. I bet had I had a full 12 oz glass it would’ve got a perfect rating so I gotta get my hands on a bottle of this. Aroma was strong sour cherry. Pour was a nice dark gold with a thin off white ring for a head. Taste was mouth puckering perfection. Sour cherries, vinegar and a hint of wood in the front. The nice carbonation leaves a sour bitey aftertaste. I’ll back up my fellow Pittsburghers below me. This was amazing.

cheap (6085) - Beaver Valley, Beaver County, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 28, 2008
UPDATED: JUL 11, 2008 Had the pleasure of sampling this at the 1/27/2008 Pittsburgh ratebeer.com gathering upstairs, Sharp Edge Creekhouse. It will be a long time, if ever I am invited again and I see a spread of bottles like I did there - ever again. I am not good enough for the beers that were that we sampled! For example, how about this beer; La folie bought by John, lukin, lukin013! Really good lambic sour and tart aroma. Clear and almost pinkish in color. Good tingly carbonation that is welcomed and accepted! Beuatifully sour and tart on the palate. Quite impressive on the taste buds. Slightly wooden background and heavily roped. Very tart and this stuff boders on the flavors of a gueuze lambic. Very enjoyable, thanks John!! lukin013, I owe you one. There is a fine line between real lambics and sour ales. As zebracakes says, top notch!

zebracakes (1339) - Washington DC, USA - JAN 28, 2008
Bottle sampled at the Ratebeer meet-up 01.27.08 at the Sharp Edge Creekhouse. Beer courtesy of lukin013.

Orange ruby, white head. Aroma is tangy, tart, peppery. Flavor is the same and has a really nice tart, sour, tangy bite. Top notch!

emacgee (4705) - Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA - JAN 27, 2008
Pours a red ruddy brown with a two finger thick creamy light tan head. The aroma is sour, acidic, smells like muscadines, fruity and sweet, a little mellow. The flavor was tart, acidic, a little sweet, definitely sour grape, wonderful flavor and aroma. The palate was definitely tart to say in the least full with a sandy carbonation. Lasting tart finish with some grapes. This was a very complex brew. Had a lot more depth than most sours I’ve had. More levels and layers in the flavor and aroma, a lot more distinguishable parts.

aubreya (676) - Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA - JAN 27, 2008
The color was amber red. The head was thin, creamy, and fizzy. The aroma was sour, grape, and yeast. The flavor was sour, fruit, aged, and yeast. The palate was smooth. The finish was tart.

BarliTruebeard (17) - Greeley, Colorado, USA - JAN 24, 2008
I tried this beer at the New Belgium tap room along with 3 other samplers of their ales. This was the ale I had been hearing about and wanted to give it an honest review. This was my first sour ale and I was warned by the staff there that you will either love it or hate it - so be prepared. My first sip was WOAH - that was sour! A sweet yet somewhat vinegary taste to it. This stuff woke up my mouth. After a 2nd and 3rd sip I had gotten more used to the sourness and felt compelled to finish the glass. I bought a bottle to take to Cincinnati to share with some beer geeks there. Word of warning, If you transport this stuff by airline and open it in a much lower altitude be warned - this stuff can explode once uncorked! I lost over 1/2 the bottle when I opened it in Cincinnati. Needless to say, my friends had never tried a sour beer before and they had a much stronger reaction to it than I did. They didn’t want more but simply said it was "interesting". A tad pricey to buy a big bottle of but if you want to try something different - try this.

badnewsbeers (2312) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - JAN 21, 2008
the best beer i have ever had! thanks to Silphium for sharing this amazing beer! 2006 bottle #3538 pours reddish/ruddy brown with slight off-white head..aroma is very similar to Rodenbach’s Grand Cru...massive blackberry, vinous concord grape, vinegar, and sour must...flavor is massively sour/tart...begins with a punch of concord grape, vinegar (seems like it has been aged perhaps)..similar to a fine wine or champagne...very woodsey, acidic...puckering finish!! SUPERB!! enveloping mouthfeel, soft yet strong and sour as hell! almost a tear-jerker! almost perfect...

jcwattsrugger (12524) - Florida and, New Jersey, USA - JAN 19, 2008
UPDATED: JUN 28, 2011 @San Diego Brewing [CA]-on tap-pours a foamy off white head and reddish brown color. Aroma is tart fruit-cherries. Taste is tart/fermented fruit-cherries, vinegar, some spicy. 3.5 *110331- ’06-750ml @Tampa Weekly Gathering-pours a light tan head and hazy amber color. Aroma is sweet/tart cherry, secondary light/medium malt. Taste is sweet/tart/acidic cherry, secondary light/medium malt. 4.0

decaturstevo (6343) - decatur, Tennessee, USA - JAN 19, 2008
An amber pouir with a gooey lace. W very sour cherrry aroma and a hint of cinnamon. A very sour flavor as well that is very black cherry. Slim palate but pretty good mouthfeel. Pretty good for the style, a style I like more everytime I try it.

Headbanger (4021) - Aurora, Illinois, USA - JAN 10, 2008
750 ml(10/07)(courtesy of a shared bottle with RSRIZZO)-A huge off white head on a dark amber body. Aroma of sourness and tartness. Taste of the same. It fits the style perfectly. Interesting beer to try but not my style.