overall
RATINGS: 1604   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98/5   IBU: 18   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
La Folie, French for "the folly," is a beer steeped in New Belgium brewing tradition. This wood-aged, sour brown spends one to three years in big, oak barrels, known as foeders. And when the beer finally hits the glass, La Folie is sharp and sour, full of green apple, cherry, and plum-skin notes. Pouring a deep mahogany, the mouthfeel will get you puckering while the smooth finish will get you smiling. Not a beer for the timid, La Folie is a sour delight that will turn your tongue on its head. Find out why it’s considered one of the best sour beers around.

JesSayan (9) - USA - JAN 18, 2007 does not count
Bottle # 04-2995 Vibrant copper with stunning clarity, a bit of a head forms, and disapears, there’s a fine film of tan bubbles coating the top of the beer. Nose is of biting, green apple skin acidity, cherries, raspeberries, and a bit of woody taste swimming in vinegar.In your mouth, the beer is aggressively sharp and surprisingly full-bodied, with just the subtlest hints of astringency and that acidic bite in the back of the throat. It hits your toungue with a lovely acidic start, followed by underripe raspberries, almonds and slight woody aspect. Vinegar is omnipresent here, and it’s lovely in this form. There’s a every so faint toasted bread there, It’s sour and tart, through and through, but it’s somehow balanced. Finish is fruity and vinegary with that acidic bite building in the back of the throat. Exquisite.

bigbish (715) - California, USA - JAN 16, 2007
This is my second sour beer, so my rating could be biased a little high, but oh my god is this good. Sour aroma, with a hint of champagne. A very complex flavor that I have trouble describing other than amazing. I will buy this again!

grease (42) - Reno, Nevada, USA - JAN 13, 2007
2005 Vintage. My brother lives in Denver and sent me 6 of these beauties last winter! I have been cracking them on special occasions, or when thirsty (always a special occasion). The last bottle was last week, and I have to admit that this beer is improving greatly in the bottle. My impressions last year this time were that it was overattenuated and not nearly as complex as the Rodenbach Grand Cru of 5+ years ago. Interestingly, the complexity is improving in the bottle with more complexity in the later tries. I am down to one bottle and will have to save it for a truly special occasion. Intensely sour, some woodiness, tart, and wonderfully crisp on the palate.

Naven (1001) - Poway, California, USA - JAN 13, 2007
January DMBT. I don’t know how to rate this because I just simply don’t like these sour beers. I have tried to like them, however, it just doesn’t work with my palate. That said, I can tell that it’s a well crafted beer, especially for this style. However, I like my beer to taste like beer, not Vinegar. The people at our tasting were split: Either people loved it, or wanted to barf. I, unfortunately, was in the latter group.

thefederalist (311) - Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA - JAN 13, 2007
Pours dark pink if that’s possible. Very powerful sour apple/grapefruit aroma. Flavor is dry and citrusy, some cherry and more sour apple. Complex, but I find myself wanting something other than sour fruit. Maybe I should get more used to it but at $30 a bottle, that will probably not be possible. Nice interpretation of the sour brown.

WeeHeavySD (3387) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JAN 13, 2007
UPDATED: DEC 2, 2007 Re-rate: PP Strong Ale Fest 07 10th Anniversary Bottle from Dr. Bill. Pours orange/red with a 2 finger tan head. Nose is sick, supremely sour. Taste is sour, with a big killer kick. Damn. Beer 2 of the Bartzilla Death Metal Beer Tasting 1/12/2007, consumed with many great beer drinkers including Bartzilla, Naven, as well as Lee creator of Arrogant Bastard, and a really cool guy. This brew is intense its potnent and it feels like much more than 6% abv. It tastes great but really kicks the throat down, puckering lips that don’t exist inside the throat. Its intense, yummy and all in all fantastic.

SpringsLicker (3685) - Tennessee, USA - JAN 9, 2007
Thanks to MrFacto for this one. Virtually no head forms over this clear, brown-bodied brew. Sour fruit aroma, some leathery notes. Glue?? Sour and acidic, light bodied but not watery. Soft flat palate. Nice.

bigcat03 (340) - Columbus, Nebraska, USA - JAN 6, 2007
Draught from the brewery poured into sampler globe glass - Pours brown amber with an off white head; Aged wood, cherry tarts, lemon, and a hint of champagne to the nose; Tart lemons, oak, aged red wine, and a little alcohol on the initial taste; Bitters, lemon, and champagne backtaste; A full creamy palate; Nice carbonation; Made me pucker up a little bit, but I LOVED it! A simply wonderful brew. It’s so different compared to anything I’ve ever had. I just wish I could’ve brought a bottle or two back!

ford9719 (371) - Vilseck, GERMANY - JAN 5, 2007
750. Poured a kinda tan color with no head. The aroma of vinager is ver present. The taste of sour ness and vinager is really diffrent for me. This is beer??????

jgd0608 (187) - Zeeland, Michigan, USA - JAN 5, 2007
750. Pours amber red, with a thin beige head. Smells like vinegar... hmmmm. Full bodied, and i’m starting to wonder why they call it a sour flemish?? or maybe its because i wince a i dirnk it. Tastes like a sour vinegar, this is definetly something that will have to grow on me, but definetly, a unique, and interesting experience.