overall
RATINGS: 692   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.48/5   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
Biere De Mars is New Belgium’s exploration of the classic French and Belgian brews celebrating the half-winter, half-spring month of March. Our bottle-conditioned version, however, goes where no BIERE DE MARS has gone before. After gazing at its cloudy, yet glowing orange hue, prepare yourself for a celestial collaboration of oats, wheat, barley malt and lemon verbena, all of which is set into orbit by unidentified flying yeast strains.

MeisterBrew (138) - Cheyenne, Wyoming, USA - MAY 17, 2009
Draught. Poured a cloudy orange with a decent off-white head. Aroma of spice, yeast, and sweet fruit. Flavor starts sweet and spicy then finishes with a very slight hoppy bitterness. Evidently I’m not into the Belgian beer thing because none of these New Belgium beers are doing it for me.

hamrech (134) - Carbondale, Illinois, USA - AUG 20, 2009
I liked this brew quite a bit for reasons I can’t exactly explain when it first came out; this is my first run at the re-release. It seems slightly re-tooled since the original, a bit more crisp and less sweet, but why on earth is it now $8 for a bomber as opposed to $8 for a 6 pack? Either way I still dig it. It’s a dirty, spicy, intriguing brew, one of the best New Belgiums for sure (which generally I don’t like that much). The smell in particular is a wild mish-mash of filthy and delicious. You can get thousands of better brews for the price, but that’s not what we’re grading on, is it...

bowen008 (134) - Houston, Texas, USA - JUL 1, 2003
Wow it really is orange. Like UTexas orange. Spicy, citrus good body. Drink this and ponder why the groundhog is king of the transition from winter to spring.

Dougal (130) - Escondido, California, USA - MAR 27, 2003
Looks like an Iraqi sandstorm ... awesome orange/gold color. Some really unusual fruit flavor undoubtedly brought about by the oats and lemon, makes for a damned tastey brew. New Belgium does it again!

noompa (130) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAY 2, 2009
On tap @ Hopleaf. Don’t remember much of this one, beyond thinking it was fairly ordinary. Not a big fan of the style, so I may be biased. Hazy orange w/ plenty of citrus and a dry, hoppy finish. Some salt and blue cheese. Thought it a bit dull in the mouth.

beerproject (129) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - DEC 7, 2012
UPDATED: DEC 10, 2012 Aroma is light with a little brett. Taste is very lightly tart with some spice and brett funk.

BeerBeforeH20 (129) - Minnesota, USA - APR 5, 2013
Lemony, fruity, bretty aroma. pours golden with a wimpy head that dissipates rather quickly. Taste is fruity, floral, with a funk that only brettanomyces can deliver. I can’t really explain why I like Brett beers, but i really like this one and will buy again!

rotoguru (126) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - JUN 17, 2007
UPDATED: APR 24, 2010 I’ve had this many many times and figured I’d have plenty of opportunity to rate it despite being seasonal; then NB cut this and brought out Springboard... DOH! In any event, this brew reminds me of Fat Tire once upon a time; something I’ve discussed with a few of the locals. Pours a hazy orange/amber color with ample white head. Great sweet, mild fruity nose. Smooth amber with notable fruit, mild malt and spice tones. Simply awesome; if any beer deserves a perfect score, it’s this one! Really hoping NB jumps off the Springboard and back on this one for next spring. UPDATE: Biere de Mars has returned but is not the same as the original. It has some interesting spices that changed it up. I chose to live in the past and not re-rate this, but I probably will at some point; the average score is likely more accurate than my perfect rating ;).

apost8n8 (123) - USA - FEB 10, 2006
Too strange for me. The good: Very nice color and mouthfeel very complex taste. The bad: Unfortunately the complexity seems to be made from a large variety of crap. I’m guessing that the big spill bucket at the end of the bar tastes something like this. The nose is worse than the taste. I’ve got 5 more so maybe one will be better.

GiddyBoy (121) - USA - APR 14, 2003
This was the first brew for me in this style, so I had no idea what to expect. It was crisp and refreshing. The lemon is not overpowering, and the other flavors are well rounded.