overall
RATINGS: 786   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.92/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
Le Terroir is a French term meaning ‘Of the Earth.’ Used to reference the environmental conditional that affect the brew, we like to think about the terroir of our foeders. These wooden barrels age our sour beer in varying temperatures, humidity and vibrations. The terroir of New Belgium, so to speak. Add in another variable by dry-hopping with peachy, mango-like Amarillo hops, and we created a beer that changes every time we brew it.

deyholla (11914) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - NOV 25, 2012
Bottle. Pours a clear deep amber with an off-white head that dissipates completely. Aroma has a dry sourness with a grass and grain backbone. Flavor starts with earthy fruits that have a dry sourness with a hint of backing grassy notes.

alexsdad06 (10596) - West Chester, Ohio, USA - NOV 24, 2012
22 oz. bottle. Pours a hazy golden color with a small white head. The aroma is citrus and tropical fruit, peach, mild sour notes, light funky and herbal and hints of wood. The flavor has an initial burst of tart to moderately sour citrus and tropical fruits, mild funk, lightly acidic with some herbal notes. Quite a bit going on without being too much. This was one of the first beers on my wants, so I’m happy that I finally got to try this out of the bottle.

markwise (5441) - North of Tampa, Florida, USA - NOV 24, 2012
On draft at Euclid Hall in Denver for GABF 2012. Pours a hazy yellow-orange with an off-white head. Nose is an amazing blend of malt, sour peaches, tart fruit, apricot, mild vinegar, wood, and some light vinous character. Flavor follows: malt, apricots, sour peaches, tart fruit, some vinous character and just a citrus delight. Medium in body and lingering sour fruit. I had it at the same time as the Apple Whiskey Oscar, and I could not tell which one was better.

Treebs (872) - , Illinois, USA - OCT 6, 2012
22oz. bottle served in a DFH signature glass. Shared in line at the FFF XV Anniversary Party. A:Pours a clear, deep straw with some orange undertones. A one finger frothy white head forms on the pour and leaves some splotchy, spotty lace on the way down. S: Some light citrus hops are present and slightly tart orange and apple peals. Nothing outstanding. T: Taste is much better. Great tartness and some sour fruit skins are balanced with a nice sweet citrus hop undertone. There is a little woody oak with a slighty vinegar-like pucker on the backend. M: Light bodied with a slightly drying mouth and tiny pucker on the finish. O: The dry hopping really added a nice citrus hop undertone to this and I’m glad I was able to still get a little pucker out of it. Serving type: bottle Reviewed on: 11-14-2011

AcctError96987 (3723) - Washington DC, USA - AUG 16, 2012
The beer is orange in color with a slight haze. The head is about a half inch thick, and leaves a fair amount of lacing behind. The aroma is complex and inviting, with scents of oak, apples, white wine, and a subtle funky tartness. The flavor is well balanced and pleasant, with a nice grape juice / white wine character. The finish brings a nice puckering sensation, with a lasting flavor of sour apples. Overall, I really enjoyed this, and would happily have it again. Serving type: bottle Reviewed on: 05-16-2011

Glouglouburp (6103) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - AUG 15, 2012
In short: An original farmhouse golden ale with plenty of juicy fruity hops and a smouth sourness. Original and easy to drink
How: Bottle 22oz. A few times. Many bottles received from MaltOMeal, Tytoanderso and others, thanks a lot to you all guys. This rating for a bottle a few months old. In my opinion, the fresher the better with this beer
The look: Almost clear golden-orange body topped by a fizzy medium white head that quickly diminishes to a ring of foam
In long: Nose has a strong farmhouse character (barnyard, horse blanket, stinky feet) that blends awkwardly with the aromatic fruity hops (mangos, peaches and such). There’s even bananas, red apples and green apples in the aroma. Strange but intriguing nose. Taste is surprisingly cohesive considering the nature of the beer. First of all, the sour aspect of the beer is relatively low-key, mild-medium sourness level with only mild oak tannins presence. Very fruity with mangos, apricots, pineapples, peaches. The fruitiness is like juicy sweet fresh fruits, one could almost think this beer uses fruits. In mouth the beer has a nice farmhouse character evoking sensation of horse blanket, cobweb, and such… After-taste leaves a fruity sweetness reminiscent of canned fruits juice and tart green apples that is then washed away by an oaky astringency. There is a lot of things happening here. The one thing I liked the most about this beer was the drinkability, very drinkable for the style, I downed myself a few 22oz of this baby and I’ll do it again. Another beer I had forgotten about until I found it in my beer cellar, my beer cellar is like a house arrest bracelet I never knew I wanted.

callmemickey (4549) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 11, 2012
Cloudy amber-orange body, inch of off-white foam, stray lacing. Peach, orange, mango, wet hay, light oak. Medium bodied, moderate acidity and sourness. Pleasant but not complex.

MacBoost (1926) - Victor, New York, USA - JUL 28, 2012
Bottle thanks to pepsiedcan. Pours a hazy orange with a white head. Nose is citrus hops, sour funk. Awesome. Taste is tart, slightly bitter with a citrus finish. Interesting. I dig this beer.

BelgianBeerGal (4122) - Panama City, Florida, USA - JUL 17, 2012
Bottle whose origin and age I can’t quite remember. Nice clear bronze color with a small white head. Really cool aroma that reminds me of Concord grape juice with a hint of hops and soreness. Pretty pungent sourness at the start of the flavor but then it mellows into a nice dose of hops. Really quick finish. Wow, this is good.

PhillyCraft (7602) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 14, 2012
Bottle sample at Capones. Pours a cloudy orange with medium bubbly white head. Aromas of peachy amarillo, sour yeast, oranges, and tart lemons. Taste is a mango infused, barnyard sour with some lemon, pear, and apricot in the finish. Very tart medium bodied sour ale. Glad I got to try it, still prefer la folie.