overall
RATINGS: 1597   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.56/5   IBU: 70   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Are you a hopinista? Thank our Beer Rangers for inspiring (and begging for) this well-balanced Simcoe, Cascade and Chinook hopped IPA. 70 IBUs

lucklys (62) - Chandler, Arizona, USA - FEB 4, 2011
The Ranger poured out crystal clear and oddly reminded me of the way the sun shines through a slice of mandarin orange. Or maybe a coppery apricot with rich golden-honey highlights. It produced a handsome buff/beige whipped cream head that was, again, easily 3 to 4 fingers thick - possibly 5 when I first poured it. Refusing to disappear, the frothy foam held itself together in nice big snow piles that drifted across the middle while thick sheets of fluffy lace clouds clung effortlessly to the glass. The nose came across fairly mild, but I think I’m expecting these IPAs to be Imperials or Doubles, when they are only (and not a bad only) regular IPAs. I’m a sucker for a good punchy hop. Regardless the aroma of this IPA, though mild, was chock-full of grapefruit pith rolled up in some marijuana and soaked in oily lemon peel. The obvious zesty hops were present with an even bitterness that was smoothed out by light pale malts, and while I tried to find where the minimal pine accents were coming from, they really didn’t associate with the rest of the scents too much even in the flavor. Where the nose was nice and mild, the flavor was definitely mellow in its own way. Carrying a nice medium body with heavier medium carbonation, the Ranger also offered a slick oiliness that coated my tongue and mouth while at the same time ended on a dryer note. I’ve gotta find out how they do that, it doesn’t make sense to me that something can be oily and dry at the same time...and still taste delicious. I think the oil came from the lemon peel that was in the aroma, but the taste was more lemon-lime with touches of grapefruit rind. I was a little surprised to find that none of the citrus flavors were very pronounced or obvious despite the use of both Cascade and Chinook hops, and much of the taste came out in light unidentifiable florals and herbs. Nearing the end of my glass, I was able to pay more attention to the sweetness emanating from the liquid and recognized a light honey and a few caramel malt notes just around the edges. These were offered with some breadiness that helped me to really feel it in my mouth - making it taste stronger/thicker.

arkurzynski (2456) - Combined Locks, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 4, 2011
Pale amber, copious carbonation and off white head. Mostly citrus hops, lemon grass, some skunk. Clean and crisp with very low level bitterness. Plain and boring, but easy to drink.

Dixonian (1562) - Plano, Texas, USA - FEB 4, 2011
12oz bottle. Clear orange color with a soapy white head - good amount of lacing. Tropical fruit and pine aromas.- bitterness really comes through on the back end. This is a good IPA that I’ve come back to time and time again.

Bif (2306) - St. Charles, Missouri, USA - FEB 3, 2011
Bottle- Pours a clear golden color with a good head and nice lacing. Piney and citrus aroma with a trace of sweetness. Taste is mostly of citrus with some pine thrown in. A bit tart with a dry-bitter finish and slight bitter after taste. medium body, crisp and clean. Not quite as smooth as I expected. Decent IPA, just doesn’t quite have that wow factor.

woodychevy (874) - - FEB 3, 2011
UPDATED: MAR 19, 2015 Drank Dogfish head 90 minute in same sitting, so this seemed really smooth. Good color, good head, easier drinking beer than the dogfish. Not quite as interesting, but solid. Super crisp and really well balanced. Nice brightness to it. Not much not to like about this one.

wlajwl (7003) - Quad Cities, Iowa, USA - JAN 30, 2011
UPDATED: AUG 6, 2014 Standard IPA that’s relatively balanced, not exceptional but a good bitterness and very solid.

2guysdrinking (3) - Georgia, USA - JAN 30, 2011 does not count
The IPA for IPA Lovers! This rich Orange and hoppy beer is a a choice for a simple but beer enthusiast all around

Shitpantz (61) - Illinois, USA - JAN 26, 2011
Smells better than it tastes - very piney smell, lovely rich hop aroma. Golden color with a nice head little lacing on the glass. Taste is way too hoppy- needs more balance.

PhatB420 (841) - Pittsfield, Massachusetts, USA - JAN 23, 2011
12oz bottle flown on a plane from Vegas right here to me in Pittsfield, MA. Smell shoots out grapefruit and citrus and definately pine. Goes down with a tad of sweetness and then the bitterness creeps in likde a forgotten friend. Great brew here, especially for a drinkable IPA. I could take a few of these down and not get sick of them. Color is shown a dark golden haze and the thick head when poured lasts throughout the brew. Quite an enjoyable IPA here.

petematte46 (330) - Dallas, Texas, USA - JAN 23, 2011
Pours a orangish gold with a sudsy yet thin head and complex aromas of citrus, bread dough, grass and herbs. Flavor is decidedly malty... hops are not as dominant as I would have hoped, more like a medicinal/herbal presence that is moderate at best.