overall
RATINGS: 784   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.91/5   SEASONAL: Summer   EST. CALORIES: 126   ABV: 4.2%
Editor’s note: in 2006, Skinny Dip replaced Loft as the name of New Belgium’s low-alcohol, low-calorie summer seasonal (only minor changes in recipe; i.e. still approximately 4% ABV and spiced with Kaffir lime leaf).

Skinny Dip Description: New Belgium’s Skinny Dip started out as a challenge from our founder Jeff to brewmaster, Peter Bouckaert. Jeff was looking for a full-bodied, highly drinkable beer for after workouts - something a little lighter than the rest of the portfolio. Peter, a Belgian, responded: “Only in America would I be asked to brew a beer with no calories and less alcohol.” The challenge was to give the beer body and complexity not usually found in beers at the lighter end of the spectrum. The result is Skinny Dip, a full-bodied beer that happens to weigh in at a crisp 114 calories per 12-ounce serving. Cascade hops frolic with a hint of lime leaf, making Skinny Dip a bright, refreshing splash for the summer season.

Loft Description: In a category all its own, Loft delivers an uplifting zest, a taut line of hoppiness, and, from integrated wheat and barley malt, a mouthful as big as the sky. Spiced with Kaffir lime leaves.

katiebutta (1) - New York, USA - JUL 11, 2007 does not count
This is the best beer I’ve ever had in my life. And I’ve done my share of beer tasting. You certainly don’t have to worry about hangovers the next morning after drinking large quantities...brewed to PERFECTION!

rsistare (9) - Troy, Michigan, USA - MAY 26, 2007 does not count
Loft has an excellent hue and design. By this, I refer to the brew available in 2005. Solid design and flavor.

sextjk5 (10) - Denver, Colorado, USA - NOV 27, 2011
One of my favorite beers of the summer season, between this and the IPA they have, its a tough decision every time.

PhillyBeer2112 (2895) - Oviedo, Florida, USA - AUG 21, 2002
Classified as Belgian, I don't see it, but otherwise I have no idea what this beer would categorized as. However, I found it to be surprisingly complex for a light, quenching, essentially session beer (and surprisingly complex for a beer meant to be served cold). Perhaps my new #1 session beer. Rich fruity orangey resiny hop aroma (plus grass and cannabis). Light amber color with med foamy head, decent retention. Rich, peppery spicy palate (almost like a Saison), with warming caramel malts. Tingly and alive in the mouth.

TrinityRoseFae (11) - san mateo, California, USA - MAY 10, 2003
The scent is of fine english tea roses. Just divine. A sip only enhances this flavor. Just like drink pure rose water. But better. Thumbs up for this beer.

fomentateur (110) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUL 19, 2004
Hazy golden brite color. Small lingering head the suspends the swirling subtle hop aroma. As I sat and drank this beer I felt as if whiffs of summer breeze where sweeping by every so lightly introducing the floral aromas of summer. Clean dry finish with a bitterness that is slightly out of balance yet keeps you coming back for more. very refreshing on a hot summer day with just the right amount of hops to keep the beer interesting without drying up the palate.

cb (810) - Roeland Park, Kansas, USA - NOV 9, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 11, 2004 I liked the fruity flavor and the disappearing aftertaste. Tastes like autumn and family gatherings.

texindy (2) - Carrollton, Texas, USA - OCT 13, 2004 does not count
Golden color with good foam. Has a nice hoppy smell with a good crisp taste. Overall, another good beer from New Belgium.