overall
RATINGS: 21   MEAN: 3.72/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.6/5   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
This one’s for the beer geek in all of us. The Gold Stock is a cult classic that’s offered up only one or two times a year. If you catch the rare sighting of this “draft only” beer, rejoice. What we did first when we made this was we brewed a full-bodied, golden ale. Then we went absolutely nuts with the pricey German hops. This smooth but biting beer is our own individual take on the pleasant India Pale Ale. It’s one of those beers you have to try. Look for it and order two!

argo0 (14127) - Washington DC, USA - MAR 28, 2010
Draft. Murky apple cider body topped by small creamy off-white head. Aroma is medium sweet, orange/grapefruit, some peach, light bread. Taste is medium sweet, grapefruit/pine, light bread. medium body, low carbonation, some resin.

BrotherGrendel (787) - San Diego, California, USA - JAN 11, 2009
Had on tap at Delaney’s Tap Room on a recent trip to New Haven A- Pours a murky golden orange hue, head is white and creamy foam that dissipates, thick swaths of lacing S- Subtle pine hops, grassy tones, crisp biscuit malts, subtle hints of funky mildew T- Initial taste is grassy, almost musty/funky, hops, very earthy, opens up to pale malts, finishes dry and bitter M- Medium-bodied, watery texture, amped up carbonation D- A nice balance of malts and earthy hops, low alcohol presence, but the musty mildew essence detracts from drinkability

jcwattsrugger (12420) - Florida and, New Jersey, USA - FEB 22, 2008
(at Delaney’s)-on tap-pours a rich retaining off white head that laces and yellow/gold color. Aroma is many Northwest sweet citrus hops, medium malt-caramel. Taste is many Northwest sweet citrus hops, medium malt-caramel. Smooth, easy drinking. APA?

rocbyter (2124) - Waterbury, Connecticut, USA - JUN 23, 2007
UPDATED: MAY 17, 2008 Sampled at the 2nd Annual Litchfield brew fest. Very light malt aroma with a good amount of Brocoli. Golden color. Mild malts with that brocoli taste coming through.

Cletus (6355) - Connecticut, USA - JAN 29, 2006
A pretty good offering from these brewers. Pours coppery. Smells of citrussy and piney hops with a nice malt base. Taste is of citrus, pine, some sage and a tangy malty finish. Mouthfeel is peppery and tingly on this one. Worth a try if one ever finds it on draught.

UnionMade (621) - Connecticut, USA - JAN 21, 2003
I found a bottle of this tucked away in the bottom of a cooler the other day, and figured I'd try it. Sadly, it was pretty far gone. Body was really huge for a golden/blonde ale. Hopefully New England will open up again and I can try this fresh. Rating is boosted to make up for oldness. Rerate if i can find a relatively fresh one.

omhper (25128) - Tyresö, SWEDEN - JUN 3, 2002
Golden coloured. Sweetish, malty, medium biterness.

PhillyBeer2112 (2850) - Oviedo, Florida, USA - AUG 18, 2001
As I first poured it, I remarked that it was an impressive appearing beer. They call it a gold ale, and it sure is a bright golden color. It had an amazing rocky and firm head that rose up almost an inch above the rim of the glass without spilling over- completely held its shape and lasted the whole glass (although that didn’t mean much as I loved this so much I downed it within a couple of minutes). The aroma was really complex and amazing. At first I noted a ton of hops: piney, citric, herbal and generally crisp - there’s alot going on there. Next I picked up some almost chocolatey or caramelly notes. Taste was clean and crisp. Refreshing hop character, medium bitterness, smooth maltiness. Medium bodied and so easily drinkable it was gone before I knew it. There was even still a big creamy dollop of the foam left in the bottom of the glass.

Gusler (2653) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - JUL 13, 2001
UPDATED: OCT 13, 2003 What a sad thing it is that I won’t be able to update this beer again as they have ceased production, not that its available here, but I did have a few kind people to take pity on me and sent me a few bottles now and then, a tear has been shed, hopefully this will be reversed. The beer pours a beauteous clear gold, large and impressive white creamy head and some thick sheets of lace to seal off the glass. POW! hops right in the schnozzle, sweet malt under pinning, citrus crisp, a real treat, the start is sweet, the top is middling. Finish is “Big Time Hops, moderately acidic, dry and lightly bitter aftertaste, a damn good beer and one I hope to see again, as I’m sure the beer God’s won’t let us down.

Oakes (17676) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - JUL 13, 2001
Dark tan; fruity-hoppy aroma with lots of spices (tumeric, black pepper, rosemary); woody bitterness, hop-spice flavours reminiscent of sandalwood and hop oil; long, lingering bitterness.